PDA

View Full Version : Defragment

grahic
11-01-2008, 10:40 PM
:annoyed: why would i waste my time to defrag my hard drive? Could anyone give me a reason to do so? effectively please.

grahic
11-01-2008, 10:45 PM
it took me over 7 hours to complete. Wasted my bloody power and now i am going to get a huge power bill. After the defragment i restarted the computer and i didn't any differents. Interesting

zqwerty
11-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Instead of gathering the data required by the CPU etc in one sweep off the HDD the heads will have to wait and gather the data in dribs and drabs from all over the sectors in the different cylinders as they go past rather than in "one fell swoop", if you get my meaning, that is if your HDD is badly fragmented.

HTH

wainuitech
11-01-2008, 11:14 PM
it took me over 7 hours to complete. Wasted my bloody power and now i am going to get a huge power bill. Doubt it unless you have to pay more for power than the rest of us.

Done rough tests before - we had at least 4 PC's sometimes more going 24/7. Then turned of the PC's at night for 7 days, the power readings difference was so minimal it wasn't worth worrying about.

So 1 PC for 7 hours - Doubt if you would see the difference in the power Bill.
Cooking your dinner 1 night would use more power.

As zqwerty said - if the HD is badly fragmented, defragging will speed up the PC slightly.

zqwerty
11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Yes the Windows defrag is very slow, you could try this one made by the same people as ccleaner, it is in beta but seems good, at your own risk:

http://www.defraggler.com/

The good thing about it is you can choose the drives, folders, files you wish to defrag.

jason_f90
12-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Auslogics have an excellent freeware disk defragmentor. I just defragged my secondary 80GB hard drive in 50 minutes; using the built in Windows one it took around 2 hours 30 minutes.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software

They also have a freeware Registry defragmentor, I'd highly recommend getting that too.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Well if u use the windows one, DO it in safe mode.

It wont take as long. Other programs dont have the same prob. If you defrag in normal windows.

Morpheus1
12-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Auslogics have an excellent freeware disk defragmentor. I just defragged my secondary 80GB hard drive in 50 minutes; using the built in Windows one it took around 2 hours 30 minutes.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software

They also have a freeware Registry defragmentor, I'd highly recommend getting that too.

I use Auslogics defragger also. Takes only a few minutes to defrag a 160 G hd.

Did not know about their registry defragger - thanks.

In spite of what the lab results show, I notice a quicker more responsive performance when opening folders and files after defragging.

darroll
12-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Defrag saves your HD heads from moving all over the platters just to load a program.
Also we have swap files and temp files all over the place. This puts them in order.
Computers are constantly writing notes to himself, these files are written to the closest place on your hard drive. It might be in the middle of your most used program, then your PC slows down.
Defrag is very important for a computers health. What program used is up to you. darroll

motorbyclist
12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
:annoyed: why would i waste my time to defrag my hard drive? Could anyone give me a reason to do so? effectively please.

in laymans terms, if you were reading a book and at the bottom of every page it said "go to page xxx", and xxx was nearly always some where completely random causing you to constantly flip back and forth through the book, it would take longer to read that book.
by defragging, all the pages of that book are being rearranged into the right order, so when you read it next time you can just go from one page to the next quickly and efficiently.

so yes, defragging can make a difference to anything requiring access to the harddrive, if you need to do it. over time it is inevitable, but the use of your use of the machine will affect this too. ie, a gamer constantly loading large amounts of data while playing games, and often uninstalling/reinstalling games/patches in between times, will benefit from a defrag often. conversely, if you're just an average home user browsing the web/emailing friends and family, it'd be well over a year before i'd say you need one and the benefits would be slight

i would suggest though, that before defragging you do all your spyware/adware/virus checks and use crapcleaner if you've got it - and depending on your computer system, you may be better off simply installing more RAM

oh, and 7 hours, even for a machine like mine, is not going to make a huge difference to your power bill - i even leave a computer on 24/7 at my flat (fileserver) and still have a reasonable power bill.... all those nice, hot, half hour showers are what's costing a fortune:thumbs:

if you're really worried about power though, go buy those power-saving bulbs if you havent already

hope this helps:nerd:

JJJJJ
12-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Surprised nobody's asked, "How the hell could it take 7 hours to defrag a hard disk." Even if you used the rubishy one from Microsoft.
Depending on what your computer is used for, defragging is one of the important things to do, at least once a week.

IF it took 7 hours and IF you noticed no differerence then there is something very wrong with your computer.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
If u use Ms's defragger one reason is, coz it used to or still does restart the defragger. Everytime you do something that accesses the hdd.

Which is why you should defrag in safe mode, If you do use MS's defragger.

FoxyMX
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Excellent explanations darroll and motorbyclist. :cool:

Hard drives will take a long time to defragment if they have not been done for a long time. The solution to this is to do it more often, eg once a month.

A large hard drive that is in one or two partitions with lots of data will also take a long time to defragment.

Like Speedy says, it is best to perform the defragment in Safe Mode and ensure that you turn off your screensaver before starting.

See this FAQ (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Scandisk_and_defrag) for more helpful information.

Thomas01
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Just downloaded and tried the Auslogics defragmentor as mentioned above.
I must admit my real reason for defragmenting is for entertainment - I just love watching the things go. (Says something about me doesn't it?). But after Windows 98 the standard Windows defragmenter became dull and boring.
I like this Auslogics much more.
But why do the Fragmented files and defragmented files report on the screen always report the same number for both?
And what does MFT mean (the yellow blocks)?
Tom

Misty
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
it took me over 7 hours to complete.
Hmm ! Screensaver still left on during defrag perhaps ? I recall the old Windows ME even if you worked in safe mode the screen saver still had to be disabled. No sure re XP because I am not using a screen saver.
Misty :illogical

Scouse
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Of course you could get Vista and have the sceduled defrag run when and how often you like. In my case during dinner on Friday evening.......

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
I use O&O defrag.

It gives u the option to defrag before the system boots, once or every time.

Thats good enough for me.

bevy121
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Yep! :) O&O
Seems to be pretty good at it job

grahic
12-01-2008, 07:09 PM
thank you guyz but what happens if you pull the power plug while the computer is under defragment?

Tukapa
12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
thank you guyz but what happens if you pull the power plug while the computer is under defragment?

Why would you do that?:waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Well it wouldnt be too healthy for the hdd.

grahic
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Why would you do that?:waughh:

well powercut?

johnd
12-01-2008, 09:27 PM
One thing I fail to understand - why does MS give the user the job of defragging the HDD? This is a system task and should be done seemlessly without user intervention (there is no such thing as a defrag that a Linux user has to start - it just happens).

wainuitech
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
So does Vista Now, it inbuilt, does it automatically

This is why some people complain about Vista Being slow This article (http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/4455) explains it.

I have turned this feature off as per the article and do it manually, Vista Slow - Nahhhhh.

Part of the Article
By default, the disk defrag feature in Vista is set up to defrag your system approximately every four times you restart your computer. It just starts on its own, no matter what you're working on or what you're doing on your computer at the time

Graphic - Regarding a Power Cut - thats what a UPS is for.

Hey the lights may go out but the PC is still going fine.

Scouse
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
See my 16 above....:D

wainuitech
12-01-2008, 10:09 PM
See my 16 above....:D

OOPS! sorry Scouse - didn't go back that far on the pages.:o

Burnzee
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Grahic

Here's my two cents :2cents: worth. First I agree with the others who think Microsoft's effort at defragmentation is crap!!

Tried many different free defragment programs and in my opinion, one of the best, if not the best is Iobit's SmartDefrag. Get it free, get it HERE.
(http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download#)

The best way to imagine what defragmentation is all about is to think of a random collection of model cars all in a line, bumper to bumper. Being random, they will be of different lengths. Now take a Mini out of the line-up. Try to park a Caddy. It is obvious, it just won't fit. You must find somewhere else. Think about moving two Minis, four or more. Think of the wasted space. Your computer does exactly that and if there is no where to fit the whole program, it has to cut it into chunks and make it fit. Think of the extra time to access the chunks.

What if you could close all the small gaps and make one large space. This is what defragmentation does.

Admittingly, the above explaination is rather silly and does not cover all involved, it does however illustrate in basic terms the guts of defragmentation.

What makes Iobit SmartDefrag great is it's ability to constantly defrag automatically when you are not using your computer. You can manually defrag too. Try it, it's free, what yah got to lose!! Oh, download and use their Advanced Windows Care too. Also free.

BURNZEE

BORN TO FISH, FORCED TO WORK!!

Morpheus1
13-01-2008, 07:17 AM
download and use their Advanced Windows Care too. Also free.

Thanks. Here is the link http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCare-Personal/3000-2086_4-10783002.html?tag=lst-1

Their company has multiple tech awards so I think its worth a try.

CNET comment:
Before you run it, uncheck the start up programs box! Pretty much stops the start up programs you want and you have to reset them. Other than that...GREAT! I think we can use task manager to stop the start up programs we don't want manually. This pogram gives you no choice unless you uncheck that box..

Softix
13-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Files can be stored in pieces all over your HD ... wherever Windows finds available space.
Defragging organizes the pieces in one place .. so your HD doesn't have to look all over the HD to collect the Pieces/Parts

This speeds up the collection of files .. and your computer runs faster.
Yes ... it's safe.

It's like reading a book at the library ... where the pages are all over the place ...
wherever the librarian found a hole to stuff a page.

mikebartnz
13-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Surprised nobody's asked, "How the hell could it take 7 hours to defrag a hard disk." Even if you used the rubishy one from Microsoft.
Depending on what your computer is used for, defragging is one of the important things to do, at least once a week.

IF it took 7 hours and IF you noticed no differerence then there is something very wrong with your computer.
They're probably using Nortons anti-virus too so every file accessed creates an overhead.