PDA

View Full Version : EASY LINUX'S

notechyet
11-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi members(and non members)

I have tried a couple or three of the "Linux" OS like PCLOS and Ubuntu and also Xandros. Those are all alright if I am not wanting to install other programs. Then it becomes more difficult.
I am still thinking it would be a good idea to have another OS as an alternative to windows(xp). Not that I had bad experiences with XP as an OS, I think it is very good(except that there is a lot of crap being made(e.g. viruses,trojans) to make life with XP and other Windows more difficult )).
Is there a version of the Linux's that is reasonably easy to work with(like the above mentioned) and that is more user friendly when it comes to ad programs to it?
It(the linux) should also be capable of loading Vmware so that some progs could be run within that.
Is that all utopia? Let's see? :rolleyes:
NT

Erayd
11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Which software specifically are you having trouble installing? Most software you are likely to want is available through the package manager and is vastly easier than installing software under Windows.

And yes, VMWare will run under Linux.

notechyet
11-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Which software specifically are you having trouble installing? Most software you are likely to want is available through the package manager and is vastly easier than installing software under Windows.

And yes, VMWare will run under Linux.

Bletch!
Thanks. By the looks of it I have to do a bit more home work. Quite some time ago I wanted to install Vmware on one of the L-OS and I remember it as being a pain. At the moment I do not have a specific problem. All is that I am due to have a machine upgrade and thinking ahead what I should do and with it is also the question of which OS's!
Are you working with Linux? Which OS? Which one would you recommend?
I do arch design and also a lot of gen. office work.
For a while I thought of getting into MAC but I just find that they are pricing them selfs of the market!
I am looking forward to some suggestions
NT

kjaada
11-01-2008, 05:11 PM
As a newbie you would be best with PClinuxOs it will handle all you want but with any linux OS there is a learning curve where you have to get Windows out of yr mind.That is the biggest hurdle and you have to be prepared to "try things" and have a few upsets.PCLinuxOS will let you go across in to windows and get stuff from your Windows folders as will most recent linux OS's.The greatest crutch to get you on the right path is PF1 and never be slow in asking how to tackle things,there are a great bunch of people here who have been there done that and they are only too willing to pass on their knowledge.

CYaBro
11-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Really?
How much easier can it be than double-clicking Setup.exe??

notechyet
12-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Really?

That,s also what I have been thinking and as said before, I tried some time ago and found it tricky.
PCLOS does not work with Vmware. What about all the others? There are heaps of them? Red hat, Suse and Mandriva...?
NT

kjaada
12-01-2008, 06:28 AM
See here:http://docs.pclinuxos.com/UsingVMware
VMware is available in PCLOS.and the latest Gnome version is right up to scratch with hardware drivers etc.

mister harbies
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Really?

What does setup.exe do? Where do you get it from? Where did I put it? Can I trust it?

With linux's package manager, its so much easier.

notechyet
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
What does setup.exe do? Where do you get it from? Where did I put it? Can I trust it?

With linux's package manager, its so much easier.

Thanks!
I did have a brief look in there. Found a lot of unknown appl and then closed again.
Just this morning I tried to install Seamonkey (linux version download)in PCLOS and did not manage to get it done?? I had no permision to ad a folder in user/local. So I gave up(at least for now).
Is the package manager the way to install extra applications?
I might try install PCLOS on the drive as a second OS so I can get a real try(instead of having it in a virtual machine).
NT