PDA

View Full Version : moving data from win98 PC to new pc windVista - how?

MMM
10-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi there

Search didn't like my choice of keywords and can't find those old FAQ thingys which told you lots of "how to's".

Have a Win98SE PC, and want to load data from it's hard drive over to a new PC with WinVista. Can you tell me the best-cum-easiest way to do this? Have very limited knowledge when it comes to the insides of cpu's.

Do we copy to CD's to tsfr, or do we get cables to connect both PC's or what.

Appreciate any help you can give us.
Cheers
Marg :)

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
What exactly do you want to copy??

If programs, I doubt they'll work with Vista.

Or do you only want to copy documents???

MMM
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Speedy,
well mainly docs, emails, pics, music etc.
Will the disks which come with programs not work with Vista?
EG. MS Office, and that kind of thing.

It's my brother doing the changes. All I've told him at the moment is not to go onto Broadband with it till he has got his antivirus updated, and some good spyware stuff installed. We can download other virus checker anti-spyware via the laptop.

Bit scarey all this stuff - blind leading the blind.
Any ideas on what to watch out for?

cheers, Marg

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Programs on cd should work.

Programs that have already been installed on 98 (if you copy them across wont work tho).

Has Vista got something similar to XP's File and settings transfer wizard program?

Not too sure what this does in XP, I've never used it

Probably be easier if you use ethernet cables between both, if there's a lot of data involved.

stu161204
10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Search didn't like my choice of keywords and can't find those old FAQ thingys which told you lots of "how to's".

You can find them now here: http://www.faqf1.net.nz

MMM
10-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Um . . if he is on broadband, is one of the cables an ethernet one, or is it something completely different.
Can't ask him much at the moment as the viners have come to do the peas and probably be here all night. .groan.. no sleep.

Maybe I should wait till they've gone and can let you know exactly what he wants to tsfr. He got told about getting a couple of cables by his son, but he's gone back overseas.

But will check out that settings transfer wizard in the meantime anyway.

Thanks for your help in the meantime though. Just had a look at the number of your posts, and you have certainly been active since I last came on here. Still helping people - good on ya!
Cheers, Marg :)

MMM
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
You can find them now here: http://www.faqf1.net.nz

Thanks Stu, really appreciate your help, cheers :thumbs

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Umm yup if its a router and got ethernet ports on the back of it.

All u need is something like this to connect the 2 (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4785c3ef012168362740c0a87f3306e2/Product/View/XH3294)

One end plugs into the back of the broadband modem/router, the other end into the network card on the 98 pc.

But, maybe not that long, depending on where these 2 computers are.

Then you have to enable file sharing on both, create a folder on both and share it. Then you can copy files across.

MMM
10-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Quote: One end plugs into the back of the broadband modem/router, the other end into the network card on the 98 pc.

Ok, I'm feeling really dumb, but what does the network card on the 98 pc look like? And what does the plug look like? He's got a normal broadband router from xtra and I gave him a wireless one to use not long ago, but don't think he has set it up yet. Did that because I've given his daughter a laptop and she can then connect to broadband from her room if she wants to.

cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Quote: One end plugs into the back of the broadband modem/router, the other end into the network card on the 98 pc.

The network card and the port if its a router will look like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4785c3ef012168362740c0a87f3306e2/Product/View/XH8265)

You wont see the whole network card obviously, only the connection.

The cable I posted earlier is what you plug into these.

drcspy
10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
otherwise if you have a cdwriter in the machine just write the stuff to cd and bang the cd into the new machine ......very simple

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
otherwise if you have a cdwriter in the machine just write the stuff to cd and bang the cd into the new machine ......very simple

And hope you've got 30-40 blanks lol.

I wouldnt waste my cd's doing it that way.

MMM
10-01-2008, 10:27 PM
And hope you've got 30-40 blanks lol.

I wouldnt waste my cd's doing it that way.

Well I had a win98 and then got given a winxp, and I actually emailed my stuff from win98 to winxp on dialup!!! Most of my freebie programs I downloaded from the net.

But on Tues pm just gone, the winxp just died. Going great in the morning, and when I got on it in the afternoon it wouldn't switch on. Nearly did me in, now I'm back to dear ole 98 which thankfully is refusing to die.

Everyone talks about progress. But all I see is masses of shortlived, overcomplicated computer crap all over the place. Hardly anything is compatible with anything. Wacky world we live in.

By the way, Speedy, was going to thankyou for your last reply but something went wrong somewhere and had to get off the net, so consider yourself thanked now :thumbs: . I need some space away from computers for a while.
Cheers.

pctek
11-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Have a Win98SE PC, and want to load data from it's hard drive over to a new PC with WinVista. Can you tell me the best-cum-easiest way to do this?

Do we copy to CD's to tsfr, or do we get cables to connect both PC's or what.

Easy:
Backing your data up to CD or DVD.
And I'd be surprised if you needed 30 CDs, most people overestimate how much space their photos and stuff take up.

Easy:
Take the hard drive out. Put it in the new PC as a slave.
File copy.