PDA

View Full Version : Daemon tools

Lovelee
10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Hideehi :illogical

Can anyone tell me what daemon tools program is for?

:thumbs:

davehartley
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Basically, it's for taking an image file of a CD or DVD, and "fooling" Windows into thinking it's a physical disk in the machine. I use it for things like games which expect the CD/DVD to be in the drive while the game's being played (although it doesn't work for all games).

Lovelee
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
so .. umm .. hehe .. my daughter in law pointed me to it cos I have downloaded some movies which are very new and dont play cos it says i havent got the right codecs, but I have. So I suspect I cant play them cos they are blocked.
Does this get round that?

limepile
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
worst thing i ever installed. My dvd no longer records cds, my cd doesn't work at all...all was fine until I installed daemon tools. If you google the site will come up and i urge you to look at it closely, a number of issues arise that are worth noting, many people complain of system issues after using it.
I'd look at Power iso or alcohol 120..google all of them and be aware.
That said, they are very usefull tools.
Maybe someone here can tell us if running them in a virtual machine or with a program like sandbox is safer.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Theyre not blocked theyre not installed.

Thats what you have to download (the codecs).

And no, I dont think Daemontools will fix it.

This may work for games etc, I dont think it'll work for DVD movies.

And I dont think its a good idea asking for info about what sounds like pirated movies.

limepile
10-01-2008, 06:56 PM
also, look at VLC (google is your friend ) it will play almost any media file.

davehartley
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Hmmm ... I've never had any problems with it, but I know there are other similar programs out there. I also use it when I'm making DVDs of family videos -- I can create the disc image, then mount it using Daemon Tools and see if WinDVD will play it properly.

Lovelee
10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I had many concerns about the adaware within it.
Ive decided not to install it.

Speedy .. please accept my apologies :horrified

sal
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Daemon Tools (Lite) is one of the programs generally know by techies to contain opt-out adaware but be a worthwhile program to recommend nonetheless. Just be mindful when installing as, if I remember correctly, there's two screens you need to make the right choice on to opt-out.

It's definitely a good piece of software though as it not only mounts disk images like any other similar app, but it can also emulate many protection methods needed to run certain discs.

mejobloggs
11-01-2008, 08:57 AM
It's awesome

YASU is also something recommended if you are using Daemon tools

gza
11-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Google vlc,click the 1st entry on page,choose from options on next,28MB download later you'll have VideoLan Movie player.I've found it plays just about anything audio/visual be it physical or virtual.
Maybe it won't play the very PINKBLUE ones though.(titter)unless you've paid some XXXX'y site for the privilege.
Not that I'd know for sure,mind.Nor you yourself,I'm sure...mind

gza
11-01-2008, 01:52 PM
hmmm...now haw'd that happen???