PDA

View Full Version : Need help... DNS, NIC, cable??

Myth
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
For a while I have been having some issues surfing the net.
I figured it must be my ISP (Orcon). However, one time when I was having this issue, another computer on this LAN was able to browse (with no delay) to the very same site.
So ok, its not the ISP.
I figured it was probably the DNS servers. So I changed DNS settings to other DNS servers (namely from the Orcon DNS servers, to OpenDNS.com's servers). However, same problem still exists.

This computer is Linux, other computer was Win2K (though since they both use DNS settings/ hosts files/ gateways etc I fail to see how this could make a difference). Same settings (except for IP obviously). IP's on the LAN are static. Router/modem is a Belkin
Both computers connected directly to router

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 04:43 PM
So which one is having the prob Linux or 2k??

If it was 2K, I would say it could be a firewall like ZA or Symantec's.

Since both can stop their proxy service which will stop you from browsing.

Erayd
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Try disabling ipv6, it's usually enabled by default and can occasionally cause issues if your browser tries to connect via ipv6 before falling back to ipv4.

Myth
10-01-2008, 06:24 PM
So which one is having the prob Linux or 2k??

If it was 2K, I would say it could be a firewall like ZA or Symantec's.

Since both can stop their proxy service which will stop you from browsing.Linux

Try disabling ipv6, it's usually enabled by default and can occasionally cause issues if your browser tries to connect via ipv6 before falling back to ipv4.ipv6 has been fully disabled for ages. My USE flags include -ipv6

Erayd
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Is there a delay, and then the site suddenly loads? Or does the site load immediately but slowly?

Myth
10-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Is there a delay, and then the site suddenly loads? Or does the site load immediately but slowly?Usually it times out
Sometimes it will load real slow, but won't fully load
Other times it loads properly and quickly

Also, IRC seldom disconnects during these times

berryb
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Can you share files between the PC's? Could be a faulty NIC.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
And are the LED's on the NIC's flashing??

Or at least on?

This will be a sign of whether its receiving data, or working.

Myth
10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
The link light at the rear of the machine still blinks (even when the site times out). The router light also blinks (for the corresponding link)

johnd
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
One way to test if there is something wrong with your settings might be to see if there is a problem if you use DHCP instead of static IP settings.