PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Modem Advice?

Winston001
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm intending to go wireless in my new abode. I imagine I'll need a card for my 4yr old lappie and the desktop. 802.11n or g? Network capable too. I've not done any research in this area before so don't know much. :D

SolMiester
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Go wireless n if you can afford the premium devices.......greater speed and distances.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Are we talking about wireless as in internet, (ie: Woosh) or wireless as in networking (ie: 11.b,g, and n)?

Theyre different things.

The 1st post suggests as in networking, which doesnt apply to the other wireless.

CYaBro
10-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I would go Wireless N too if possible especially if you are going to have to buy cards for the laptop and desktop.
802.11n gives better speed and greater coverage.

Linksys or Belkin would be my first choice then D-Link.

beeswax34
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Definitely go for Wireless N as there's no point in shelling out for a,b,g gear and then having to upgrade a short while later.

I'd definitely go for Linksys for both the modem/router and any PCMCIA cards you need for your laptop.

http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETLKS4637

Winston001
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
My apologies, I can never remember whether Wi-fi is mobile or local network. Wireless to me is local network in the house and that is what I mean.

It would be nice to have remote broadband but it isn't as secure or fast as wired and I can't justify it anyway.

I just want to sit on the couch or at a table with a lappie and use it.

Just for clarity - Bluetooth isn't relevant is it?

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Just for clarity - Bluetooth isn't relevant is it?

Nope its similar but you would probably have to have 2 computers kiss each other to use it lol.

I dont think its range is as long as WI-FI.

If youre on broadband / ADSL now, if you wanted to access the net using WIFI, yup (and youre not too far away from the main PC with net access).

11.g should be good enough. Just get a modem/wireless router (Or if you've got one, all u have to do, is configure the laptop if its got onboard WIFI).

N will go further, but is a lot more expensive than 11.b and g.

beeswax34
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
If you just want normal a,b,g broadband at home without having to pay more for n-routers then a simple Linksys WRT54G should be more than enough to do the job and simple enough to set up as well.

wotz
28-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm looking at this for a friend. wireless b/g has a low signal strength between the locations (took my router there to see) but can get a high gain antenna. Wireless N promises the range, but the Linksys ones do not have removable antenna if it doesn't work. Both systems will cost close to the same, but don't want to go N if it still won't work.

beeswax34
28-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Who cares about removable antennas? Wireless-N will definitely give you the range and/or speed you want as long as its not insane.

wotz
29-01-2008, 08:29 PM
I've been reading some wireless N reviews and haven't found a single one where the performance claims are consistently met. In fact, a lot of comments about avoiding it. What to do????

CYaBro
29-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I have found 802.11n to make a huge difference IF you have 802.11n at both ends!
i.e. your laptop or PC needs to have an 802.11n wireless card in it to get the benefit of the n technology - better coverage and speed

Mercury
29-01-2008, 11:01 PM
It would be nice to have remote broadband but it isn't as secure or fast as wired and I can't justify it anyway.

I just want to sit on the couch or at a table with a lappie and use it.

Security wise it should be OK - but there are others here who would be more up to date than me on that issue.

Speed wise? I have a wireless router here. Two computers are attached to it by wires (there are 4 ports on the back for wires), 3 are wireless. I've never noticed difference in speed.

Using it. There is nothing quite like sitting on the deck, or in front of the fire, with the laptop and checking emails etc without having to come upstairs first to turn the desktop on to get Internet access.

The printer also has a network card so I can print wirelessly from anywhere. Brilliant.

Go for a wireless router and connect to broadband through it.

beeswax34
29-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I've been reading some wireless N reviews and haven't found a single one where the performance claims are consistently met. In fact, a lot of comments about avoiding it. What to do????

CYaBRO is right, you have to have 'n' at both ends to get a boost in speed otherwise you only get a boost in range with just a 'n' router.