PDA

View Full Version : Contacts from SIM in Windows Mobile 5 only work in Phone Dialler, not Messaging app

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Long story cut short about my iMate JasJam:

I have my contacts on my SIM card
Id rather not import them to my Phone contacts (Multiple reasons)

Windows Mobile 5 reads them fine from the SIM in the Phone Dialler software
It DOESNT read them from the SIM in the messaging software (This is all the built-in stuff, no 3rd party apps here) when I sent a TXT-message.
Fresh hard-reset, different WM5 patches / upgrades -- Same on all of them

When in the Messaging app, it only sends / receives to the phone numbers.

Now in Windows Mobile 6, it works fine, and you can type in the name of a contact on the SIM and it'll work brilliantly, however I cant use an unofficial WM6 ROM because it:
A) voids my warranty
B) messes up the touchscreen somewhat horribly, so the start menu (or close button depending on if its in horizontal or portrait mode) is constantly being tapped at an insanely fast rate

So:
Im after either 3rd party messaging software to replace the built-in stuff on WM5 that'll use my SIM contacts
Or:
A patch for WM5 that makes the standard messaging app read the contacts from the SIM as it does in WM6
Or:
...Im leaving scope for a 3rd solution Ive not thought of

As usual, iMate Helpdesk spew out the usual "Did you do a soft reset? Hard reset? Do one now while Im on the line just to make sure you did it right? Are you using any 3rd party applications? No? Sorry my script doesnt have anything over those 3 suggestions, you're on your own". Hate useless helpdesk peoples, even tried ringing 5 different times and speaking with 5 different people. One even recommended I just void my warranty and use WM6, unfortunately he didnt listen when I told him it messes the touchscreen up... so its not an option

Ideas / suggetions / comments / recommendations / insults / fixes?

Cheers

Chill.

Brian R
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm using WM6 'Black Satin' on my JasJam and it doesn't have the screen tapping issue. This could be your option 3.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Ive tried Black Satin but preferred Schaps WM6 Pro 4.20... both gave me the issue :(

Which version of Black Satin are you using? Might be worth me giving it a shot, its only another $28 to have MFR re-flash my phone should anything go wrong ;)

Brian R
10-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm using the version below without any major problems.

Black Satin
Build: 17944.0.3.1
Kernel: 5.2.1437

beeswax34
10-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Thats weird because on my iPAQ (WM5) I can easily message my SIM only contacts. Its not an issue with the software but probably the phone.

You definitely need to press the iMate people and force them to give you a new one if thats an option.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2008, 06:16 PM
If Im in Messaging and I create a new txt, then click on the "To" box, nothing comes up...

I think Ive hit something here... Coz a friend was using a different WM6 ROM and she's had similar issues (Unsure what ROM she was using).

Brian R, mate would you mind checking to see if FTouchFlo is installed? I have a feeling its not... if its not, that could potentially be good news...

Beeswax34, good to know that it DOES work in WM5 at least for some people...

Anyways, in a nutshell, I chanced across this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1696407&postcount=3

Under "Known issues & fixes:" read the first two issues... and you'll understand my train of thought ;)

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Looks like Im not the only one with the issue..:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=357101

beeswax34
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Have you tried another SIM card to make sure that its not the SIM card at fault?

Brian R
12-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Brian R, mate would you mind checking to see if FTouchFlo is installed?

Hi, No I don't have FTouchFlo installed.

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Ive bought a brand new SIM (Prepay) from Vodafone, tried it, same issue.

Turns out its the TouchFLO app that was messing it up with Schaps 4.20 and my friend who also had the same phone but different firmware.
Am using Black Satin happily now, just with Schaps theme :D Contact issue solved! Its a WM5 problem only and seeing as iMate / HTC / o2 / whoever are now all using WM6, I doubt they're gonna be keen on fixing it :(

Thanks all!