PDA

View Full Version : No Post, No Boot

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi,

Asus M2NPV-MX mobo, 1 gig stick of ram, 300w psu, seagate hdd. Chimei LCD CMV938D

When I press start button, the PC starts to light up, the 3 fans run and what sounds like the hard drive waking up.... but only for 3 seconds!

Things I have tried: Clearing CMOS with jumpers, battery test. Reseat ram, reposition ram in another slot. Disconnect HDD & DVD/CD. Checked for loose wiring.

What are my next diagnostic steps from here?

Thankyou for your kind help.

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Try another PSU

Have you checked the case for dust?? If there's dust in the case, give it a clean.

wainuitech
09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Is this a New PC or one that has been working for a time and suddenly doing this. ?

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies, it much appreciated.

The machine is 13 months old. I have cleaned all traces of dust out.

Incidently, this happened first, 2 or 3 days ago and after removing/refitting battery and reseating ram, the machine booted with checksum error. I loaded defaults and it's been ok till this morning.

Another clue may be an email/spam I got a week ago, promptly emailed itself to all my address book list! Scans with avg reveil no present virus though.

Re: power supply. I have a number of power supplies, all from older machines. How to determine if any are suitable?
I read where there should be 12V on yellow PSU lead. Is this any kind of definitive test?

drcspy
09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Another clue may be an email/spam I got a week ago, promptly emailed itself to all my address book list! Scans with avg reveil no present virus though

of very doubtful relevance as at that stage of boot process it's unlikely that any virus will affect anything since windows hasn't loaded and indeed the bios is hardly swiinging into action......

pctek
09-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Re: power supply. I have a number of power supplies, all from older machines. How to determine if any are suitable?

At least 350w. The higher the amps on the +12v, the better.

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok, well I found a 300w power supply but it has no sata connector. Will it work apart from no hard drive? ...just for diagnosis purposes?

wainuitech
09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
The PC should boot into the post, look for drives and stop when it complains it cant find the hard Drive, but if it gets to this stage its 3/4 of the way there.

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Another 300W psu installed and result is same.... runs for 3 seconds only.

I am replacing the original PSU.

What's next step please?

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Is it beeping, before it shuts down, if the case has a speaker?

Try configuring the BIOS properly.

Did you put the jumper back on the CMOS jumper, after u took it off?

wainuitech
09-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Try removing the RAM, start the PC - does it Beep indicating no RAM

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
There is no beep. In fact with HDD & DVD/CD disconnected, the only sound is the fans. Approx 3 second run time. I am familiar with its''beep and it definitely isnt beeping now.

I rechecked the CMOS jumpers and read the handbook to ensure it's correct.

Re: BIOS.... I can't get into bios as yet. It won't stay running for long enough to get there.

pctek
09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Things I have tried: Clearing CMOS with jumpers, battery test. Reseat ram, reposition ram in another slot. Disconnect HDD & DVD/CD. Checked for loose wiring.

What are my next diagnostic steps from here?

Try new RAM.

Then failing that, its the motherboard.

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Try removing the RAM, start the PC - does it Beep indicating no RAM

Identical result with ram stick removed. I notice it has maybe a missing brass segment where the pins connect. I havnt got another to compare it to, so am a bit puzzled. Looking at it from a magnifying glass doesnt tell anything..... could have always been like that?? Has such a thing been known to happen or can it be repaired?

Erayd
09-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Can you post a picture of it? Use ImageF1 (http://imagef1.net.nz/) for uploading images and paste the link in your post.

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ram2.JPG
...needle idicates missing contact....kinda looks like toothache!

Ok, well it looks like damage to the ram slot too. I see a pin missing and another bent. This appears to co-respond to the missing contact on the chip.

Question is: will/could these missing bits cause problems with shorting? Is it possible to simply remove the offending slot completely? Does it un-solder or what?
It has 4 slots: 2 yellow & 2 black.

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Replace the ram, or if the slot is damaged as well, replace the mobo.

Tbird650
09-01-2008, 06:00 PM
In theory, if I removed the slot completely and cleanly with de-soldering tool, will this end up with a satisfactory result where I won't have to buy a new mobo?

Am asking pure theory here....are the remaining slots usable in this case? and without major drawback?

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I spose you can still use it but if a slot is damaged, and its got 4 slots.

You wont be able to use dual channel

Or use that simm thats broken.

You'll have to buy some more ram

Borrow some ram, and see if it'll work in the other slots. Soon find out if it matters