PDA

View Full Version : networking a printer

Ninjabear
08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I have a question

I want to network two computers.One is a laptop which is 10m away in a different room while the other computer is located in the lounge

The main computer which is a desktop is plugged into the printer and also the broadband modem thru a direct line while the laptop in the otherside of the house is using wireless

The laptop is running Windows Vista while the computer is using windows Xp

I am trying to network the printer so that my friend's dont need to walk up and down to print stuff.

I am thinking of maybe networking the printer so that she can turn the printer on in the lounge and from her laptop click print and the printer will automatically print her documents ,homeworks etc off.

Is this possible?

I went into control panel.Chose printers and faxes.Chose the Canon Mp800 printer.Once opened I clicked file then click on sharing.A window pop up saying that this computer has disabled remote access to this computer.

I dont have much clue what to do and sinc the printer is connected thru the Windows Xp desktop it is logic to enable printer sharing here...

Any ideas how to network the printer?

Do you have to connect from laptop --> to desktop --> printer?

or can you click print from laptop --> printer detects and prints straight away?

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I doubt it will turn it on. Leave it on so you can print to it

And make sure its online. So something can print to it.

Well yer if the printer is on XP, thats all you do. Go to printers and share it. Then in Vista go to printers wherever this is, and add the printer then search for it on the network.

Obviously the printer has to be on and shared for Vista to see it.

If the printer is on Vista, you may have to disable UAC to share it.

Either way, the printer has to be on / online, and shared so the networked pc can print to it.

chiefnz
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
the computer the printer is attached to must be on otherwise the lappie won't be able to print to it.