PDA

View Full Version : DVD-reading very slow and halfway, PC freezes

qazwsxokmijn
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I've just burned a full DVD's worth of data into a DVD disc. When I tried to open it, it reads very slowly, and halfway, the PC freezes. Somehow this affects other programs first - for instance, Firefox will not respond, then the PC freezes.

Only way out is to hard reset the PC.

Any ideas? My specs are in my sig.

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
What program did u use? Did u finalise it after?

And did u use RW or DVDR's?

Data like what?? files you downloaded? what?

qazwsxokmijn
07-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Used Nero. I don't know about finalising. I used a DVD-R. The data were a few personal word docs, a couple of videos and programs.

Maybe a Vista problem?

EDIT:

And might I add it only happens to a couple of discs so far - I have about 20, and only 2 are giving me this problem.

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
And are u trying to get it to read on the same computer you burned them on?

Or is it another computer?

Did u select data DVD in Nero express, then add the files, then after u click on next, you'll see the option - allow files to be added later (multisession disc).

If this is ticked, it means the dvd will be finalised after u burn the files to it (you cant add anymore to the cd or dvd after).

Were the programs you burned to the dvd the original files you downloaded, NOT programs that have been installed already?? Since I doubt they'll work if you copied folders to the dvd, and expect them to work later. They wont.

qazwsxokmijn
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
On the same PC. I selected Data DVD in Express, yes, added the files and ticked the "allow files to be added later (multisession disc)".

Have you seen this problem before Speedy?

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
On the same PC. I selected Data DVD in Express, yes, added the files and ticked the "allow files to be added later (multisession disc)".

Is the DVD actually full?? If it is, you might as well untick (not tick) the above option. Since you wont get anything else on it.

ave you seen this problem before Speedy?

Umm, no, but sometimes if you burn something like a data cd or dvd, and dont finalise it. And try and get another pc to read it, it may have probs.

Have you got another program like INCD, or something like Alcohol installed??

qazwsxokmijn
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, not exactly full. A couple of hundred megs left.

EDIT: I've updated the firmware of the DVD-Writer, and now Nero Express refuses to work. I've tried reinstalling Nero altogether, and it still refuses to work. Damn.

stu161204
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
You still got the data you burnt to DVD, haven’t you?

qazwsxokmijn
08-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Yep, data still in HDD thankfully.

ledzep
08-01-2008, 07:20 AM
It is also worth using Nero CD-DVD speed tool, Disk Quality test, on the disk after it has been created. Interpretation of the graph is a bit of an art, but number of PI errors and PI failures should be consistent, and no PO failures. I have seen media (cheap ones you buy from The Warehouse) with very high numbers of PI/PIF failures, and they can read slowly with many retries. However, it sounds like you have a hardware problem.

Digby
08-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Have you tried to burn some data on to another DVD ?

Regards

Digby

qazwsxokmijn
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't have another DVD-Writer and Nero ScanDisk says the DVD is totally fine.

I think I'm going to upgrade to a SATA DVD-Writer anyway - this IDE one is starting to play up.

Cheers for the help guys. :)

rob_on_guitar
08-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Ive actually encountered this problem and found one of my videos had been the culprit. The video wasnt infected or nothing like that, its files couldnt be read by the pc.

Check your video files on your HD and see if any are playing up. When i ran mine through VLC player it asked me if I would like it to fix the file which it did.