PDA

View Full Version : Can you connect two wireless routers together?

Adeane
06-01-2008, 12:42 AM
I've done a search, couldn't find to much in the way of information, So I thought I would ask you guys.

What I want to do is connect my Original Xbox to the internet, via a Wireless router (via the Ethernet port) that then connects to another wireless router. The current wireless router is in another room to the Xbox, and I don't want to run a cable from it to the Xbox, so is it possible to get the router in my room to receive the internet from the main router (in the other room), then transfer it to my Xbox via the one of 4 Ethernet Ports? I don't have a Computer in the room with the Xbox, So it needs to be a direct connection via the Router to the Xbox.

Or is there another way of doing this OR another "Bridge / Access" point I need?

Hope all is understood.

Thanks in Advance - Adam :):help:

EDIT.

So basicly:

Wireless Router / Modem (With Internet) - (WIRELESS) - Wireless Router - (LAN) - Xbox

FoxyMX
06-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know whether it will work with two wireless routers or not and can't see why it shouldn't, but try the Cascading Routers instructions here (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hqh/html/tworouters.htm).

somebody
06-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I think this is called "bridging", and can be accomplished with most standard wireless routers or access points. What it will mean though is that other wireless clients won't be able to connect to them.

What are the make/model of your routers, so we can provide more specific help?

CYaBro
06-01-2008, 10:07 AM
It will depend on the wireless routers you have.
This can be called a few things: WDS - Wireless Distributed System, Bridging, Universal Repeater Mode. There are other names I've seen it called to just can't remember.
It will only work if one of the routers has one of the above options in the web config setup.
Usually works best too if the routers are of the same brand.

jinja_thom
06-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Adam have you considered these as an alternative to wireless
http://www.netgear.co.nz/Products/PowerlineNetworking.aspx
Just plug them into the power outlets and the house wireing becomes part of the ethernet LAN

Thebananamonkey
06-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Those things look good, I have the same issue. But where can you get them in NZ? And how much do they cost? And do they take up an entire power point themselves? Or can you plug other things into them aswell?

jinja_thom
06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
There is a slow version (14Mbitsper sec) for $49 on trademe closes in 1 hour.
Google for Pragmatic Powerline Adapters do an NZ search and you will see it.
No, I am not the seller or anything to do with them, although I do have some of these devices, but don't blame me if they don't suit your needs.

TeejayR
06-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Aquilatech at www.aquilatech.co.nz has the the 2 unit kit for $348 plus freight plus GST - just search under powerline

A lot more expensive than cabling but they seem to have a much better rating at 200 Mbps than wireless

Ascent has them for $371.19 incl GST

The_End_Of_Reality
06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I just ran cables through the roof to the rooms that needed to be on the network here, is cheap, a little more involved than just plugging something into the wall outlet, but cables are the most reliable and the cheapest IMO.

Aquilatech at www.aquilatech.co.nz (http://www.aquilatech.co.nz) has the the 2 unit kit for $348 plus freight plus GST - just search under powerline

A lot more expensive than cabling but they seem to have a much better rating at 200 Mbps than wireless

Ascent has them for $371.19 incl GST Would be best to get them from Ascent (out of these 2) Ascent is cheaper and free freight and the best after sales support. :2cents:

stevensaaron
07-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Adam have you considered these as an alternative to wireless
http://www.netgear.co.nz/Products/PowerlineNetworking.aspx
Just plug them into the power outlets and the house wireing becomes part of the ethernet LAN

How does that work?

beeswax34
07-05-2008, 12:30 AM
It carries phone/internet signals through the electrical wires in your house so you instantly gain more phone jacks if you will.