PDA

View Full Version : system restore levels

effie c
05-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi,

I recently regained over 2 gb on my H/d after a remark in F1 made me think I might have a lot of deadweight there
What is the best % level to be set on that slide in allowing system restore to function?
I have 40 gb h/d divided into C and D drives
1 gb ddr 400 ram
XP pro
:dogeye:
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Depends on how much you want it to restore.

The only thing its good for, is hiding viruses / trojans.

I would actually turn it off.

effie c
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi S G,
nah ! I am too old and stupid even after ten years of learning :o

At a rough guess each time I have had to restore--and there be more than one I can assure you-- a month appears to about what I would choose from-
One day after a cock up would, on that basis, do, but I have actually gone back several days more than that:nerd:

I have 4 % or 1290 mb at the moment- could I get away with less?
:D
effie c

pctek
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I loathe and detest it too.
Imaging software is much better.
Like a lot of Microsofts "good ideas" that they copy off someone else, its never as good.

effie c
05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi PCTek,
what and where would I download such and how would it perform better than MS so called perfected :waughh: system
:badpc:
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Probably something like True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html)

BUT, its not free.

Neil McC
05-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi effie.
I use Acronis True Image 10 ,usually once a week,but I still have the system restore working.Have set it up at 5 percent of the hard drive, which is about 7 Gb. I've found there still is the odd occasion where it's easier to restore back after a fault occurs !!

stu161204
06-01-2008, 01:41 AM
I hate to disagree with Speedy Gonzales here, but I won’t recommend that you disable system restore; it is quite useful (it has saved my butt many times & it even saved my butt tonight!!)

How much free space do you have on your C drive at the moment?

Also you can safely disabled system restore on your D drive, there is no need for it to monitor your D drive as I guess its just all your data there, correct?

pctek
06-01-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-personal/

stu161204 - These sorts of things REPLACE system restore.

Scouse
06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi effie. Acronis 11 will cost you about $67. If you can afford that - then go for it. Only about the cost of an hour of any good tech's time.

effie c
06-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Scouse et al,

It is not quite "can I afford it" -I am capable of buying hardware etc ---IF I HAVE TO- but yes, finances sure are a factor, - ie I would love the latest computer but this goes very well with few hiccups so I do not really really need to spend

I am delighted to see Stu 161204 - a tech - say he has used it more than once.

I am supposedly capable of getting myself out of the poo ---to a point- but I have been very very grateful of Systems Restore more than once

I have in C drive 29.3 of a partitioned 40 gb, h/d now down to 19.5 gb and in D drive-( a partitioned drive off the original and only h/d-D drive- where I have 6.34 to play with out of 7.90 gb
Does that suggest I can reduce D drive and use that space on C ? and how would I do that in a practising computer :lol:
effie c

PENTIUM
06-01-2008, 02:18 PM
What is wrong with what you have now.
Microsoft knows best, right.

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Does that suggest I can reduce D drive and use that space on C ? and how would I do that in a practising computer :lol:
effie c

Ah no, I dont think you can do this. The only way you could change it is to use something like Partition magic and resize the partition.

Or reformat / delete the partitions, and recreate bigger partitions.

bevy121
06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes - Partition Magic will re-size a "practising computer", but it does recommend backing up first as results aren't 100% guarantee'd LOL :)
I've done it a couple times myself with no problems tho