PDA

View Full Version : What OS is installed

Ferg
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
A mate has brought his comp around which is failing to boot after a corrupted update. Gets to the XP splash and reboots, won't go into any safe modes.

It's XP OS, and I will try a repair install.

I've backed up his files with Knoppix.

Is there a file I can look at on his hard drive which will tell me which version of XP is installed and the service pack level? Then I will know which version to use for the repair.

Thanks.

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Personally I'd just install the latest version of XP that you have. The product key is the main item required.
If you put a early version of XP in, windows will only want to update to the latest security patches, SP 2 etc unless you disable the win update.

Ferg
05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Sounds good, I've got a slipstreamed xp pro sp2, will use that, he's got XP pro on there now. Cheers

pctek
05-01-2008, 07:39 PM
His COA attached to his case somewhere will tell you what version is installed.

Or does he not have one?

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Sounds good, I've got a slipstreamed xp pro sp2, will use that, he's got XP pro on there now. Cheers Not all XP Pro COA's work on All Images installs of XP Pro.

djmrman
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I would do neither try find a copy of erd 2005 lets you do a roll back if system restore was enabled

beeswax34
06-01-2008, 06:24 AM
If you did want to know, you could always open a DOS prompt and type in "ver" Not sure if it would give you the SP though.

Ferg
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks, went with the repair install.

That worked well, but now the automatic updates won't install. Probably as a result of the corrupted install.

I'm working my way through the myriad of solutions through Google, it's proving a wee bit of a challenge.:badpc:

Oh well, at least all data and stuff recovered well.:rolleyes:

wainuitech
06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
That worked well, but now the automatic updates won't install. Probably as a result of the corrupted install.You can try Dial-A-Fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml) this fixes many problems with windows as well as the updates. USed this many times when systems have been damaged and updates wont install - saves hours of work. Works most of the time unless the system is really badly damaged.

Ferg
06-01-2008, 10:02 PM
You can try Dial-A-Fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml) this fixes many problems with windows as well as the updates. USed this many times when systems have been damaged and updates wont install - saves hours of work. Works most of the time unless the system is really badly damaged.

DAMN!!!!! It took me all day working through solutions, usually revolving around manually linking DLL's.

Dial a Fix sorted the problem in one fell swoop. :)

Thanks WT.

Dozen Corona coming my way for sorting out my mates comp, guess I'll just have to drink your share. :p