PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the internet

jno
04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi. I'm having a problem accessing the internet from my PC. I have Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with SP2. I connect through a Netgear wireless router, WG111ver2 54Mpbs Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter #3. ( I don't know if I need to quote all that!) When I go to Network Connections in Control Panel it says that my Wireless Connection 3's Status is "Connected, Firewalled". However, when I try to connect to the Internet via Mozilla Firefox I get the yellow exclamation mark and the message "Server Not Found". And a similar result when I go to "Check mail" in my Eudora mailer . . "Error getting network address for 'pop.clear.net.nz'". Help!

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
What firewall are you using ? Disable it and see if the connection works.

jno
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I see that I've got Windows Firewall, so I've just turned it off and tried again - but to no avail! Problem still exists.

Greven
04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
do you have a computer connected to the router with a cable? Is it possible to connect your computer with a cable instead of wireless?

jno
04-01-2008, 01:00 PM
No, it's a wireless connection. I guess I could connect via a cable, but I'd have to move the PC to another room and I really don't want to do that. I want the problem solved so that the computer can stay where it is, with wireless connection. As I said in my first posting, the wireless connection is being reported as OK - and I've undertaken "Repair" successfully; it's just the access to the internet from Mozilla Firefox and Eudora which is not being successful - which leads me to think that it's neither a Mozilla nor a Eudora problem.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Look under the wireless adapter's LAN properties / TCP/IP

Give it an ip manually and under Primary/alternate ips put in your router / and / or ISP ip primary / secondary address.

Greven
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Find out the IP address of your router & see if you can access that from your computer.

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Try this - make sure the internet connection is actually active. Open a command prompt - click Start>run type in CMD when the black box opens type in ping 203.96.152.4 Press Enter If your internet is working then you will get A Reply Like This (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Ping1199405319.jpg) if its not working, you will get a timed out error message.

If it is or isn't working, type in ipconfig in the black box to get your gateway/IP Address, (unless you know it) Then open a browser, type in the address of the gateway, Eg: http://192.168.1.1 << Or what ever your gate way is. Go to the security and disable it.

Recheck the Internet connection to see if you web browser now opens.

jno
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks to all who have responded. Going to the one I understood enough about to do something about it (!):
wainuitech: i) my internet is working; I got the "Reply like this". ii) I typed in ipconfig and got
IP address 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1

I have disabled my Windows Firewall - is this the "security" you mention? - but I still don't connect.

Greven: I can't get on to the internet, so I can't access the IP address of the router.

Speedy Gonzales: Very sorry, but your advice is way beyond my expertise. I'd like to follow it, but don't know how.

Two other things which may be of relevance. In the dim and distant past I had dialup with Clearnet, and for some reason, for some time now, the dialup window for Clearnet has been appearing whenever we have accessed the internet. Prior to the current problem appearing, we just clicked on "Cancel", the window went away and the connection was made wirelessly. The other thing is that the problem has arisen since 1 January when my son-in-law, a computer engineer, attempted to make my laptop (on which I am doing this) visible to our PC. He failed, and subsequently the PC couldn't access the internet. Fortunately (?) he had set up a System Restore point before he started the exercise, and I have utilised that facility to put everything back (supposedly) to where it was at that point. But . . still no internet connection.

So I am still saying "Help!"

Thanks in anticipation.

jinja_thom
04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Has this router ever worked, have you ever had a pc connected to it by wire in order to configure the wireless connection so that you can connect to it by wireless?
To confirm that your wireless link is actually working type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a web browser and go or enter, you should be able to access the internal settings of the router.

jinja_thom
04-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Just read your previous.
When you cancel a dialup request it cause the browser to set 'work offline' in the file menu which will prevent you getting to the internet.
Go to the browser tools menu/connections tab and set ' never dial a connection' then check the file menu for a tick next to work offline and remove it.

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Just read your previous.
When you cancel a dialup request it cause the browser to set 'work offline' in the file menu which will prevent you getting to the internet.
Go to the browser tools menu/connections tab and set ' never dial a connection' then check the file menu for a tick next to work offline and remove it.

To check / remove the dialup, the exact path (quickest) Open IE > Tools>internet Options>Connections Tab> never dial a Connection. While in IE look for the work off line as advised above.

Once you have done what was quoted above try the Ping command - typing in ipconfig will only give the local address, not your actual internet address.

Open the command prompt - type in ping 203.96.152.4 Press ENTER- let us know if you get a reply as I posted before or timed out.

Regarding the Security - No - I was referring to the password security for your wireless. Sometimes if a password is not accepted for what ever reason, it can block your connection. Disabling it for a few moment to make sure its not blocking is helpful.

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
What Model is the actual Router ?
WG111ver2 54Mpbs Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter This is only a USB Adapter that plugs into your Laptop as shown Here (http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/GWirelessAdapters/WG111.aspx).

Please provide the model number of the router and we can look at the exact settings/places you need to check.

jno
04-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks, jinja_thom. No, I have not had the pc connected by wire at any time. I have typed in the IP address on this computer, my laptop, and got the internal settings of the router. However, I don't see what help this is - i.e. what do I do next?

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks, jinja_thom. No, I have not had the pc connected by wire at any time. I have typed in the IP address on this computer, my laptop, and got the internal settings of the router. However, I don't see what help this is - i.e. what do I do next? Read post 12 & 13 - theres no indication the wireless internet access on the Laptop you are having problems with is actually working, this needs to be confirmed.

jinja_thom
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Jno - I think I for one need a bit more information for instance, what is the model number of the router, is it a WGR614, if it is, what type of modem is it connected to, ADSL or Motorola Cable Modem.
Was there a setup cd and instructions included with the router.

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Jno - I think I for one need a bit more information for instance, what is the model number of the router, is it a WGR614, if it is, what type of modem is it connected to, ADSL or Motorola Cable Modem.
Was there a setup cd and instructions included with the router.

I've already asked for all that info, but its not being given.

jno
04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi folk. Thanks for all the various messages. To answer them as best I can:
#12: I've gone to Tools menu/connections and set "Never dial a connection" and checked that there is no tick beside "Work offline". I did the Ping thing but didn't get the sought-for reply; just 4 "Request timed out".
#13: The model number of the router is DG834GAU.
#16: There is a setup CD for the router. The instructions on the cover thereof are minimal in the extreme; they say "Click setup and follow the prompts" !!!
#17: Sorry about the delay in giving this information; I had a competition golf croquet game to fit in this afternoon and then it was my turn to get the evening meal!

I'll check for any responses to this when I get up in the morning, and then I'm off for the first day of a five-day long croquet tournament, but I'll be looking at the postings early morning and in the evening as I want to get this problem sorted!

PS. It still is not connecting!! Ah well; time to cut my lunch sandwiches for tomorrow.

wainuitech
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Okay - first of all - Good luck with the croquet tournament - give it heaps, hope the weather is good for you.

Now to the PC - Not being able to ping that IP which is Paradise DNS servers, means the internet connection is not working.

But its working through it step at a time.
1. Your PC can connect and talk to the router - good
2. The router can not connect to the internet - BAD!

Just a couple more questions to clear things up.

In post 16 Jinja asked ---- "what type of modem is it connected to, ADSL or Motorola Cable Modem." --- this is very important.

ADSL plugs directly from the phone line to the Modem/router. Is it like that ?

Cable has a separate Modem. Looks like This here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SB5101E_right_nb_large.gif) Which do you have ?

Also is there any other PC's connected to the router (currently) that are working on the Internet ?

jno
05-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Thank you for this.
i) ADSL plugs directly into the router
ii) There is one other computer connected to the router - this laptop!

Must go; will check back again early this evening.

jinja_thom
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
So when you post to this forum are you are using the adsl broadband connection to the internet or are you using a seperate dialup connection?

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Hmmm - Jinja's point is very interesting, if its set up as the way I read it from your reply, (Please correct me if its wrong) the Laptop is plugged into the Router Via a Cable and the ADSL router is connected to the Telephone jack point. The laptop does have internet access in this configuration, but even though the wireless PC in the other room can "talk to the Router" it wont connect to the internet. - Is this fully correct ???

I got bored while waiting for a PC to format so I made up a Diagram of how you have described it Is this how your set up is (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ADSL.JPG). (roughly)

If it is how its shown, what antivirus or other security software do you have installed ?

If you have Norton Internet Security, Norton's of any flavor, McAfee security/AV, uninstall them. I have known damaged security software to stop a otherwise working Internet connection.

jno
05-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks jinja_thom and wainuitech.
Firstly, wainuitech's diagram represents my set up with the exception that the laptop connects to the router wirelessly - as does the PC. And as I said in postings #1 and #5 the PC is also connected to the internet; it's just that Eudora has an error getting the connection and Mozilla Firefox can't find the server
Secondly, the antivirus software fitted to the PC is AVG.

When I post to the forum I am using the laptop with wireless connection to the router.

Heigh Ho! Time for tea - my wife says!

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
What makes you say the PC is connecting to the internet?

It's connecting to the Router as "it talks to it" BUT when you try to ping 203.96.152.4 it times out, this is saying its not talking to Paradise's servers, which is on the internet. If you tried the same command on the laptop it should get a reply.

Have you tried Internet Explorer ( browser) to access the internet ?

Go to Start>control Panel>Network Connections> locate the connection,>right click it>Properties>Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) <double click it> Make sure under DNS Servers, its set to Obtain Automatically, if it is, and still not connecting, set to "use the Following DNS servers" Prefered 203.96.152.4 Secondary 203.96.152.12

See if the above works.

As an experiment turn off the Laptop completely, try the PC and see if it connects.

jno
05-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for this wainuitech. I have checked out all your suggestions, namely:
1 I pinged the address on my laptop and got a reply, so I now understand what you are saying when you say that my PC is not accessing the internet.
2. I've tried IE to access the internet - to no avail.
3. I went to Connections/Properties/Internet Protocol and clicked on Obtain an IP address automatically, also Obtain DNS server automatically - but still no joy. However when I went back to Use the following IP address and Use the following DNS server addresses, I found I had lost them all! So I put in the IP addresses I'd found from ipconfig (see an earlier posting), namely
IP address 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1
and the preferred and secondary DNS server addresses you gave me above. Still no joy!!

I have checked the properties on this laptop and find that it obtains both IP and DNS server addresses automatically. The one difference I discover is that under Advanced TCP/IP Settings, IP address is the entry "DHCP enabled" but I can't enter this into the relevant box in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window on the PC.

4. I have turned off the laptop and tried the PC again. No joy again!

If this wasn't such a nuisance, I would be really enjoying the exercise! Fortunately we can access the internet from my laptop but my wife - who is the one who uses the PC - would really like her machine back again in full working order and not have to use my laptop!

Anyhow thanks for your interest and suggestions. I'm learning heaps.

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Hmm well according to this (http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp)

Which may or may not apply. DHCP HAS to be disabled in the router.

Which, I would say putting Obtain DNS server automatically on will do (enable DHCP).

So, the ips will have to be entered in manually.

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Hmmmmm OKay - have to have a bit of a think as to what else can be wrong - like most faults its finding them that's the problem, fixing is usually easy.

Just a bit of info for you, the Ip address of 192.168 etc and gateway is the connection to the router. When you put in the DNS, that is the server address from telstra/paradise. So with the two you should be on the internet.

Without going into to much technical detail, the TCP/IP stack ( internet protocol) may have gotten damaged.

Try this. Click Start>Run> Type in cmd then in the black window, type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt This article Here from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357), explains what that command does. Your antivirus may have to be reinstalled, after doing the following - Download WinsockFix (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html), this will basically rebuild the internet connection protocol. You may need to reset the IP address again.

While doing all this - download from my sig, spyware doctor, transfer to the PC, if the internet connection is still not working they wont update, but hopefully if there's any bugs in the system the definitions will work.

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Hmm well according to this (http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp)

Which may or may not apply. DHCP HAS to be disabled in the router.

Which, I would say putting Obtain DNS server automatically on will do (enable DHCP).

So, the ips will have to be entered in manually.

This is the problem though - two wireless PC's 1 works fine the other doesn't ?

Bit of advice- what ever you change make sure you remember, or write it down, that way if something does go wrong you can put it back.

I would assume if the router was at fault neither would work ?

jno
06-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Thank you both; it's early Sunday morning and I'm off to the second day of croquet doubles - did OK yesterday - so I won't be able to follow your advice, which I think I understand! - till this evening.
Quick reply to Speedy Gonzales: I did enter all the IP and DNS server addresses manually after trying the alternative of obtaining the addresses automatically. Incidentally, my ISP is Inspire. I have checked their gateway address and it is 192.168.0.1 which is what I have down as the default gateway.

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
The main things you need for the ISP are the DNS server ips, not the gateway.

I dont think Inspire's gateway is 192.168.0.1, it shouldnt be the same as the local network

In your last reply, did u put these in alongside Preferred, and alternate DNS server?

This is for Inspire.net.

Primary DNS Server: 203.114.128.1
Secondary DNS Server: 203.114.128.2

NOT 192.168.0.1?

Greven
06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
also check to make sure the proxy settings aren't enabled

wainuitech
06-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Incidentally, my ISP is Inspire Okay thats why telstra's DNS servers wont work - this wasn't mentioned before.

Since you had Clear net on dial up, every one will have assumed it was clear on broadband as well.

Mind you you should still be able to ping Paradise, no matter where you are or who with.

jinja_thom
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
As I see it, and I may be wrong, if you have 2 or more pcs connected via a router to the internet, then the router is the crossover point between the Wide Area Network (internet connection modem etc) and the Local Area Network (router pcs laptops etc)
Thus all WAN addressing is in the modem/router and all pcs laptops etc use only LAN addressing ie 192.168.x.x
The allocation of LAN ip addresses to each pc connected is by DHCP in the router so all connected devices should be set to Obtain Ip Address Automatically and as I understand it there is no DNS in a simple LAN setup because this is a WAN concept, so Obtain DNS server automatically should also be set
If you set a static ip address in one connected terminal on a LAN you must set them all as static and unique and disable DHCP in the router or you may get confilicting addresses.
Here's a thought, if you have a laptop connected to a router which allocates an ip address of 192.168.0.2 ie the first address after the gateway address, the chances are that it will connect to the internet OK.
If this address is set to never release and you then connect another device and give it a fixed address the same as the first, do you get a conflict error message, or does it just not work?
If I can find time today I may experiment along those lines on my network and see what happens.

wainuitech
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Reading through Jinja's post - what is the IP address of the laptop that is working OK on the internet. It will be 192.168.? & what is the IP of the PC thats not connecting to the internet.? 192.168.0.?

The router if its assigning the IP's automatically should be giving the router 192.168.0.1 ( gateway) and assigning each PC a different address ( last Number) between 2 - 254.

Run those programs I posted before to repair / rebuild the TCP/IP Stack.

jno
06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh dear! I don't seem to be making much progress. I typed in the netsh int ip . . . etc noted in post #27; I still can't connect either Mozilla Firefox or Eudora to the internet and now when I right-click on "Wireless Internet Connection 3" and try to access Properties I get the message "An unexpected error occurred". Incidentally, I accidentally typed the netsh etc. in the black window on this computer, but it doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect - thank goodness!

How do I find the IP addresses of each computer?

wainuitech
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
easiest way is to click Start>run> type in CMD in the black box type ipconfig Press enter. The top address of 192.168.0 ? will be that computers IP. The last numbers are the ones we want to check out
under it you will have something like Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1

Did you try the winsock fix on the PC thats not accessing the internet ?

Dont try these on the Laptop - if it ain't broke - dont fix it :)

Hope the croquet tournament is going well.

jno
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi wainuitec and Speedy Gonzales - hereinafter referred to as WT (much shorter!) and Speedy Gonzales (SG). I had done this (i.e. typing in ipconfig) but thought that the IP address was of the router. For the PC there was an interesting window - after the netsh int ip . . etc. exercise. It said:
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.40.165
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 (yes, only two "255"s, not three)
Default gateway:
. . . i.e. no entries against either the first or the last item on the list.

So, reviewing the various postings I noticed SG's posting #30 in which he recommended a couple of new addresses for the DNS primary and secondary server addresses. So I put in the Autoconfiguration and Subnet mask addresses as above along with the default gateway address of 192.168.0.1, and SG's two addresses. Still no joy!

WT Re the Winsock fix: how do I download it on the PC if it's not accessing the inernet????? Could I download it on this laptop and then transfer it to the PC - e.g. by using a thumbdrive?

Thanks for the good wishes for the croquet; my partner and I won the doubles (played on Saturday and Sunday) in the Palmerston North Combined Croquet Clubs tournament and today we started on the singles. I am able to attend to this computer problem now - i.e. at lunchtime - as I have a bye, so have come home to have another go at it.

Incidentally, what is meant on the "PressF1" list of postings against this thread when it says "Last page"? Are we allowed only so many pages of postings to the thread? If so, what do we do to continue the discussion? Start a new thread?

bevy121
07-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Incidentally, what is meant on the "PressF1" list of postings against this thread when it says "Last page"? Are we allowed only so many pages of postings to the thread? If so, what do we do to continue the discussion? Start a new thread?

No worries there mate - "last page" just means the link jumps to the (current) last page of the thread, even if it's at page 999906
So you still got plenty left for the discussion :D :thumbs:

wainuitech
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
WT Re the Winsock fix: how do I download it on the PC if it's not accessing the inernet????? Could I download it on this laptop and then transfer it to the PC - e.g. by using a thumbdrive? yep thats correct - load to a pen ( or what ever you want to call it) USB Drive and transfer that way.

Its interesting the Address was lost after netsh etc - the address of 169.254.40.165 (which is windows saying " I got no connection) the 169 is the default for no working IP. Run that winsock and see if it fixes it.

Hope this makes sense - but it looks like it was partly broken - the TCP/IP stack, that command finally broke it - which is good - Now that its broken at least once it gets going again, it should hopefully work like its meant to. Winsock should rebuild it completely.

Safari
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
If you have XP and SP2 you don't need to download the winsock fix.
Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.
Type in: netsh winsock reset catalog
Enter and restart computer.

Why not connect your modem/router direct to your computer using ethernet,
use a phone extension lead if it is not convenient to move the computer closer to the ADSL modem/router.
This will at least isolate whether the problem is with your wireless setup or if it is a computer problem by bypassing the wireless router altogether.

wainuitech
07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Running the command internally is fine if the software is not damaged - if its damaged in some way it may not work. Hence the standalone program.

The wireless works fine from another Laptop - so I doubt its the router - if the PC cant connect to the Router Now - its usually the PC in some way.

Greven
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm sure the winsockfix does more than that.

Safari
07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Running the command internally is fine if the software is not damaged - if its damaged in some way it may not work. Hence the standalone program.

The wireless works fine from another Laptop - so I doubt its the router - if the PC cant connect to the Router Now - its usually the PC in some way.

It could be a wireless network problem on the PC but for the time it takes to connect by ethernet to confirm where the problem is it might save another 40 posts.

wainuitech
07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
It could be a wireless network problem on the PC but for the time it takes to connect by ethernet to confirm where the problem is it might save another 40 posts.:D Totally agree, but reading between the lines take a look at post number 9, problems started there.
If every things working as it should - networking two XP's is easy.

If I personally was on site, I'd do exactly what you suggest - roll out a length of Cat5, and plug it together. :thumbs:

Could? also be a dodgy USB adaptor. Ditto to above would tell that.

jno
07-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi guys. Thank you for all your various suggestions. I have done the following:
1 Winsock successfully reset according to Safari's posting no. 40
2. However, Greven suggested in #42 that winsockfix "does more than that", so I downloaded it as per WT's #27 posting and transferred it via a thumbdrive to the PC and ran it - successfully. However, I now find that when I look at the TCP/IP Properties, "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server automatically" are both selected and consequently the numerical addresses are no longer displayed.
3. WT in #41 asks if the PC is connected to the router. It is connected so the "Status" tells me.
4. WT in #44 suggests the USB adapter might be "dodgy". If that were so, then surely there would be no connection with the router.

Where to from here?

wainuitech
07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
What is the IP Address if you open the Command Prompt ( CMD) and type in ipconfig from the PC ?

If you are getting 198.162.0.??? then the PC is again talking to the Router??

The wireless internet connection from the Laptop ( the working one) - is it a built in Wireless, or do you have a USB Adaptor as well for the lap top. ?

WT in #44 suggests the USB adapter might be "dodgy". If that were so, then surely there would be no connection with the router.

Not always, I have a similar problem last year, a customer had a USB device for the Laptop - and a Linskys wireless router, would do exactly what yours is doing, but theirs would only hold the Connection for 2-3 minutes, I changed the adaptor to a Linskys and away it went.

Its a process of elimination to find out where the problem lies, I'd be surprised if its the router - if it was you would expect the wireless laptop to be affected - its not.

wainuitech
07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Please check on something - open the Network Wizard , it should be on the desktop from when you installed the drivers - also look at the Icon in the system Try , if its yellow then heres the possible problem - open the wizard and check the setting is set to Access Point NOT adhoc network Example Here in this photo (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Network1199695711.jpg) from the manual. (bottom left of the picture)

Edit: just reading the Manual, use this wizard to set up the Internet connections, windows might be getting it all wrong. ESP under the Networks tab (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Network_2.jpg) in the wizard

From the Manual
Note: The instructions in this section refer to the NETGEAR WG111 Wireless
Assistant. For Windows XP users to use the NETGEAR Wireless Assistant, the
Windows XP Wireless Networks configuration utility must be deselected. If you did not
enable the NETGEAR utility when you installed the WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter,
open the network connections from the system tray icon, click the Properties button,
click the Wireless Networks tab and then clear the “Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings” check box.

jno
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, Well, Well!!! My PC is now accessing the internet, though terribly slowly! I've done nothing since last night - except read the two postings from WT. When I switched the PC on it noted that my antivirus software - AVG Free Edition - was out of date, so on a whim, I clicked on the icon to update it, and - mirabile dictu!! - it started downloading, but at an average speed of 1 Kb/sec. I completed and installed the download and then opened up Eudora and on checking mail, it started downloading the 30 messages which have accumulated since the PC last accessed the e-mail but even more terribly slowly. I'm watching progress at the moment and it's downloading 5 or 6 packets per sec, about 1% of the first message per second.

What my AVG window is actually saying is
"AVG E-mail scanner
AutoPOP3: Downloading message #20 57%"

It's up to 57% of this message after about 5 minutes.
Interesting that this AVG window indicates that it is downloading message #20 whereas the Task window Status had a total of 30 messages to download.
. . .
Further progress report. The "AVG E-mail Scanner" window currently notes that it is downloading message #43 . . 80% . . while the task status window says there are 8 messages left to download. Perhaps the AVG E-mail scanner window counts upwards, and the percentage is the % of each message downloaded!

Uh-Oh! "5 messages left to download", and the AVG E-mail scanner window went back to about 46%. . . . It's now down loading message #47 and the percentage went back to 8 . . but now 30 and climbing.

I should have timed this, but it must be a good 10 - 12 minutes since I started logging pogress. There are still 4 messages to download and I'll time it till they are all completed. OK; 2 minutes 50 seconds for the last 4 messages.

And I am getting on to the internet when clicking on Mozilla Firefox!

So . . . amazing!! It's currently raining cats and dogs here in Palmerston North; perhaps the dampness in the atmosphere has lubricated a missing connection somewhere.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions everyone; if the low speed problem persists, I'll post again, but hopefully it won't. PS Today's croquet was called off because of flooded lawns; that's why I have been able to get on to this in the middle of the afternoon.

Safari
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Perhaps you did not do a restart after you did the winsock repair last night.

jno
08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Can't remember at this stage, though if I was prompted to, I probably did. However, that's all past history now!

wainuitech
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Perhaps you did not do a restart after you did the winsock repair last night. Winsockfix says it needs a reboot to complete, but by clicking OK it closes the box, a manual reboot is still required.

jno
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that explanation, WT, and thanks for all your help.

wainuitech
09-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for that explanation, WT, and thanks for all your help.
Most welcome - as long as its going OK now.