PDA

View Full Version : Reformating XP on Partition

Scoogles
03-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I recently split my hard-drive into two Partitions, i want to Reinstall XP on my C:/ drive .. so i now have a C:/ drive and an S:/ my other partition.

Can anyone explain step by step how do this.

Much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Boot from the XP cd, and when you get to the install screen.

Delete S's partition.

Then create another partition, if u want another partition besides C.

And then format C.

Then reinstall XP on C.

Is anything on S tho??

Scoogles
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
so i need to backup all files, its practically reformatting my whole pc, i was going to create a new partition, so i can backup files on the S drive, then i was going to format and reinstall XP on C:/ drive.

wainuitech
03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Scoogles . This page Here (http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm) to further compliment Speedys answer shows it in a graphical instructions.

How you put it, it can also read that you want two partitions C & S, if this is so, install on the C: Drive, then when finished go into Control Panel/admin tools / Computer management/ Storage/Disk Management/ Select the second partition/right click/change drive letter to S.

Edited: looking at the last post ( while writing above)-you can copy files and documents/photos etc to the second partition, but may be safer to copy to another removable source.

When you go to install Windows if you have two or more partitions you will have to select which one to install on. Screen shot 6 In the link above will be the time to select which partition.

Scoogles
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
if im totally off, i dont no much about pcs, so dont blow :P

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmm yep thats what I've done. My main hdd is 120 GB. C is 40 GB E is 80.

All the updates are on E. So, whenever I format I just format C. Then reinstall everything from E after. Saves me going to the Windowsupdate site all the time, when I format.

Altho, I might delete all of the updates once SP3 comes out. Or burn them to cd or use Nlite, and slipstream them, if I can be bothered.