PDA

View Full Version : Webcam not working with Skype

lakewoodlady
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi all,
I have just bought a webcam on TradeMe and I can't get it to work with Skype. Windows recognizes it ok and it works fine with MSN Messenger. But when I try to configure it in Skype, it tells me that Skype cannot access it and I need to close all other applications which might be using it.

It was supposed to have an install CD in the box but there wasn't one, I have emailed the trader and told him about that. (Hope I get a reply soon)

I have Windows XP Home edition and all the necessary specs to run it.

Any clues anyone?

wratterus
03-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Is messenger closed when you're trying this?

See if it is, try closing it.

lakewoodlady
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes, I closed MSN Messenger.

effie c
03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Lakewood Lady,

Do not fret- I have had e mail contact with Skype- over a similar problem- ie my local video, showing myself - carries to my contact but there is nothing I could do to get it to show on my localized little window.
Skype finally admitted they had a problem with the latest update, and were working on it
Meanwhile they advised me to use Split cam which is free and will show up in Skype and any other program- how? don't ask me
The only disadvantage is after you open Skype you have to then open splitcam and click on video- bottom right corner
If anything it has made my video clearer than before- I still await the correcting software

:lol:
effie c

lakewoodlady
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you effie c will give it a go!

effie c
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi,
That address for split cam is http://www.splitcamera.com
effie c

lakewoodlady
03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Ok, I have downloaded Splitcam . Can't seem to get that to work either, ie, take a snapshot to test it. When I go into Tools/Options in Skype split cam appears in the video settings, but I can't get it to do anything.

Mercury
03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
If the CD is missing it is possible the software for the camera is on the manufacturer's website.

Can you do a Google search for the camera brand and model?

My laptop inbuilt camera is working with Skype. Vaguely remember some minor glitch setting it up but that was the middle of last year and I can't remember the details. We got it working ourselves though quite quickly without resorting to help desks so it wasn't a major problem.

lakewoodlady
03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
hi Mercury, yes I think maybe the software is on the missing cd. I have emailed the seller and hope to get a reply sometime. I did a google search, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack as far as finding the correct software goes.

Effie C, I had no luck at all in getting splitcam to work and I lost the MSN webcam settings as well, so I uninstalled it. Also got two trojans somewhere in the download which my AVG picked up!

Mercury
03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
[quote=lakewoodlady;630573]... I did a google search, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack as far as finding the correct software goes...
[quote]

Looking for a hard copy of a fish finder manual is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Software should be easier. Maybe.

You could try here (http://www.driverguide.com/)

Greg
04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Lakewood - what Service Pack are you running (eg SP1 or SP2)?

lakewoodlady
09-01-2008, 05:28 PM
SP2

lakewoodlady
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Mercury, I have gone to DriverGuide and downloaded their toolkit and scanner and it says that I already have the latest driver installed. That will be the one that installed when I first plugged the webcam in to the computer. Must be a Skype prob as it works fine with Messenger.

I got a message back from the seller confirming this.