PDA

View Full Version : Power Settings

Pato
03-01-2008, 12:29 PM
If I set "Turn of hard disks" to "After 20 mins" What actually happens with the hard drive?.
PC world seems to suggest you save a lot of power but is it worth
it?.

wratterus
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I never have and never will, but on a laptop if your trying to save battery it could be worthwhile.

Basically it shuts off power to the HDD, causing it to stop spinning, and leaves whatever's in the memory available for use. Fire the laptop up again, the HDD starts spinning and your back where you left off.

I'd rather just turn the laptop off.

Pato
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I never have and never will, but on a laptop if your trying to save battery it could be worthwhile.

Basically it shuts off power to the HDD, causing it to stop spinning, and leaves whatever's in the memory available for use. Fire the laptop up again, the HDD starts spinning and your back where you left off.

I'd rather just turn the laptop off.
Thanks for the info. I am using a desktop. Would that mean that it would
extend the life of the HDD. I don't think it is worth it just to save power
but can see the advantages with a laptop.

wratterus
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
For a desktop I'd say it would be more likely to shorten the life of the HDD if anything. The power saving would be minimal.

Turning HDDs on and off regularly is a lot worse for them than them being on all the time. Always make sure it's nice and cool around the HDDs aswell, HDDs really don't like being hot.

Pato
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
For a desktop I'd say it would be more likely to shorten the life of the HDD if anything. The power saving would be minimal.

Turning HDDs on and off regularly is a lot worse for them than them being on all the time. Always make sure it's nice and cool around the HDDs aswell, HDDs really don't like being hot.
Cheers. That has cleared that up for me. Thanks for your help.

wratterus
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
No worries mate. Have a good one. :thumbs:

Billy T
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
That is arguable, and has been argued recently here on PF1. There is no great strain in powering up or powering down, and from the disk's point of view, power supplies "soft start" so there's little strain there.

Disks have a finite life in terms of bearing wear etc (measured in 1000's of hours) so reducing their on-time by one third by leaving them off overnight is not a bad idea. I have always switched off each night and have had no disk problems at all. Some of my older disks (<2GB) are still going strong after 8-9 years of daily use.

Another benefit is the clean boot every morning, blows the cobwebs out and everything is at its best. Then there's the reduced wear and tear on power supplies and mother boards etc (heat is the enemy and the less time exposed the better) and of course there are the power savings.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pato
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks BillyT, So there would be an advantage in setting the Power to "turn off HDD after 20 mins"? What do you have yours set at?. I do turn the PC off each
night

Billy T
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I just leave them running: on all day, off all night.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg
04-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I turn my PC off if I'm going to be away from it for more than about 3 hours, more or less. Otherwise it stays on all day, and switched off completely at night.

This has been my habit for about 12 years. Haven't had a hard drive failure yet.

Pato
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I turn my PC off if I'm going to be away from it for more than about 3 hours, more or less. Otherwise it stays on all day, and switched off completely at night.

This has been my habit for about 12 years. Haven't had a hard drive failure yet.
Thanks Greg, It is good to hear of other peoples procedures. Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Yup I usually turn these off at night.

I dont use hibernation. Thats a waste of space.

And I change all settings under power schemes to never

Richard
04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
My comp stays running all the time. We have family overseas so that is the only way to have Skype always available. I tried using the PC World bios change to save power, but this meant that almost everything was asleep, and Skype was offline. However I do a clean boot about 3 or 4 times a week, and more often if needed by program updates. Haven't had a hard drive failure yet, but cooling fans seem to be the weak point in most computers these days, as they get noisier over time.

SurferJoe46
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I lose an occasional HDD..but mine are running a media server for the house and we have several TVs and a full-on home theater system..so it would be silly to shut something down except for repairs and replacements.

I am even considering trying a hot-swap on my 500g HDDs in the future...any thoughts?

Roscoe
05-01-2008, 11:02 AM
The consensus of opinion appears to be that it does not really save any power (unless you are on laptop battery) or wear out the HDD.

I too have been leaving my PC on all day, off at night. Have had no worries over the years.

As for the laptop, I agree with you, Wratterus, just turn it off.

Pato
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Appreciate further input. I have left all the power settings on 'never' as suggested by Speedy Gonzales. Cheers.

plod
05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I have mine scheduled to turn off at midnight and back on at 6 am, unless I'm using it during those off times then I will manually turn it off. If going out for the we will turn it off, but usually someone is on it at some stage.

rob_on_guitar
05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I do a manual shut down each night, PC at home only gets used around 3-4 hours weekdays and probably 20 hours a weekend.

Power settings are on never.

Thomas01
05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I always make sure my computer is off at nights but have a method some people have told me is daft.
I use the hibernate button on the keyboard and then when it has shut down I switch off at the wall. I am told this can ruin the hibernating routine but I have never ever had a problem with it - I just start up when I want it and away it goes.
I had one hard drive failure but that was over 10 years ago on my first desktop and since then nothing.
Tom

wainuitech
05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Appreciate further input. I have left all the power settings on 'never' as suggested by Speedy Gonzales. Cheers. Exactly the Same, we have 4 PC's inside the house, they all get turned off if not being used each night, and thats only because the fans sound loud at night.. have two servers in the workshop which run 24/7 unless shut down to change hardware, Only had 1 drive go a bit funny after 2 years of never being turned off.