PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba TE2000 with wifi

lflashl
03-01-2008, 01:34 AM
i wish to install wifi into my laptop, ive look around and found that the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, could work in my laptop. does anyone here have the say laptop with wireless, and what card. i know theres a b ant installed and all that is needed is the card. does it matter if the card is a b/g version?

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Depends if u want 11mbps(b) or 54 (g) speed.

martnz
03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi guys,

I fitted WiFi to a TE2100 (which is similar) a couple of years ago. Buried deep inside the laptop is a "Mini PCI" slot - I managed to get a compatible WiFi card off trademe and figued out how to fit it (invloves considerable and fiddly work to reach the slot and connect the in-built antenna). Works fine but the whole process is a hassle, with risk of damaging the laptop and no real guarantee it will work!

I would suggest getting a USB or PC-card WiFi adapter (which has it's own antenna). Probably a similar cost, easy to fit, ant covered by warrantee...

Hope this helps - Martnz

lflashl
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
well from what ive read its ment to be a b" card with ant, but couldnt i jsut install a b/g version, my mate also gave me a dead one to pull apart and ive work how to install (easy enough, remove 2 scews from the back, take out keyboard, remove 2more screws then place in, and but back together.) looks can be easy, but i think im up to the job. i think ive a card that can work for it. but its a a/b/g version.

martnz
06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi lflashl,

Sounds like you're onto it. From memory, as well as plugging card into the mini-PCI slot, will also need to connect two antenna wires to the card (the wires were taped to the frame on my laptop, to stop them from flopping around).

Obviously need to install drivers for the card. Might also be worth looking at Toshiba website for WiFi updates for that model of laptop and windows version.

The b - g thing will sort itself out - will try to connect to the faster version if available, and if not, use the older (but perfectly OK) standard.

Martnz

lflashl
06-01-2008, 12:47 PM
sweat sounds good, have been looking around for some time now about 2months worth of research. just one more question, what way do the wire go, i see there are two wireess black and white, can they go on any way around.?

martnz
06-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi - ref the antenna wires, no idea if there is a right and wrong way!

On mine, connected Black antenna cable to socket at EDGE of board. Suspect this was part of the instructions that came with the Toshiba-branded card, but too long ago to remember. Worth checking for markings on the board, or maybe the vendor's website?

Martnz

lflashl
18-01-2008, 04:13 PM
so i got the wifi and plug it in with little to no problems, apart from a screw that wasnt like anything ive seen, but i gto past it very easy. plugit it in, loading up ubuntu and away i went with no problems. so i guess this post is closed. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP...