PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ Formatting My Laptop

Tigah
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey sup guys. I was just wondering if anyone could solve this problem I have when I try formatting my laptop.

I have an LG E500. I got it just this year.
Intel Core2Duo T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (x3100)
Samsung 160GB HD
2GB RAM
Vista Home Premium 32bit

To begin, I seted my bios so that the Vista CD booted through the CD/DVD Drive and then saved changes. Laptop rebooted.

Now, this screen appears..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/tig3r8omb/GFX/Image1.gif
Followed with this scree..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/tig3r8omb/GFX/Image2.gif

However, this is when the problem occurs. Im aware that a screen where I choose the language is supposed to appear, but it doesnt. The screen after the screen above stays black and nothing after it. I read that it takes awhile sometimes, however I went to bed and left it on over night thinking it might be loading, but when I woke up.. It remained the same black screen.

so.. well? Im not sure how to continue from here. If anyone has some suggestions.. I'd be really thankful.

Happy New Years!

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Tigah - Can you please post back some of the laptops spec's - and how old is the Laptop, with what OS was installed.

Tigah
02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Edited :]

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Specs are in the first post

Did it have or has it got a restore partition??

If it has, did u try restoring it

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Specs are in the first post

Did it have or has it got a restore partition??

If it has, did u try restoring it

Edited in after I posted i think - I didn't notice them before - Mind you could have been half asleep :rolleyes:

Remainder - ditto to speedys questions.

Tigah
02-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Hmm.. Actually Im 100% sure on that one.. How do I check if it do or not?

and, just out of curiosity. How would it effect the process of formatting?

Thanks so far for the replies, Im excited to get this solved.

:]

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Does it say press a key, like Ctrl-F10 or something.

When u reboot?? On the post screen?

Was there another letter in my computer, besides C??

Called Restore or something?

Tigah
02-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Hmm not that Im aware of, Just really F2 to get into BIOs.

In "My Computer" there is only the C: Drive.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
The laptop may have a hidden recovery Partition.

But just in case it doesn't, When you formatted the Laptop, was the Vista DVD one supplied with the Laptop, along with other CD's /DVD's or a Vista DVD you got from some place else.

Tigah
02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
You know what actually.. It may have a hidden partition because my hard drive is a 160GB however the C: drive says that it has a maximum amound of 148GB?

And the Vista CD I have now is the CD that came with the Laptop called "LG Recovery Center DVD (32 Bit)"

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
148gb sounds normal. You dont usually get all of a hdd's capacity in Windows.

Some of it is used for other things.

Well that sounds like the right DVD. What exactly do u do with it then to get it to restore the system??

Have u used this DVD before to restore this laptop??

Tigah
02-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Never. The day I got the laptop, the person that had sold it to me had installed everything already. I thought formatting a laptop was the same as formatting a desktop and it is almost! I just get stuck at that screen.

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Well it is the same as formatting a desktop, only diff is most laptops and some desktops also have a restore partition,.

Which SHOULD make it easier to restore the system.

Is this laptop still working at the mo? Can u get into it??

If u can, I would check and see if theres a create restore cd/dvd in the menu.

And make another DVD.

Tigah
02-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh ya, Im on it at the moment. Where would I check if I can create another restore CD/DVD?

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I wouldnt have a clue where in the menu.

I've never had a system with a restore partition on it.

And I've never had Vista

Go thru the menus.

It should be there somewhere

Tigah
02-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Ahh.. no clue on how to solve this. Damnn ]:

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey guys that doesn't work out - unless I'm Missing something :confused:

In the original post the screen shots and request say it's stuck on the drivers loading screen. (Second screen shot)

Speedy asked
Is this laptop still working at the mo? Can u get into it??
With the answer of

Oh ya, Im on it at the moment. Where would I check if I can create another restore CD/DVD?

In the words of the Darlecks from Dr Who-- "Does not Compute" (pun Intended :p )

That second shot with the green lines is the drivers loading - Either it is past the Drivers loading and now in windows or its Not,- still stuck in loading stage ?? Cant be both ?????

If it came with a LG recovery DVD, chances are good it wont actually have a specific program for making another, this usually happens only if there is No recovery DVD or Recovery Partition.

Just checked on a empty 160Gb Drive- it shows in windows as 149Gb approx, so this wont have a hidden partition. If it did the main drive would be reading in the very low 140's or under.
A vista DVD is a compressed file remember, so it takes a 4.7GB DVD, then add in drivers for the machine.

Anyway - back to the question above - which is it - loading past the screen shot in post 1 ?????

Tigah
02-01-2008, 07:49 PM
It goes through the first screen and then the second screen I posted. Then, after the screen with the green lines. It goes to a screen where its just black.. and it doesnt move on after that.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Okay - completely black screen = no way to get into the Menus - can't be done.

Look on the laptop, someplace either near the front edge or somewhere around there - will be the power Light and maybe some others AND another that looks like a cylinder - the cylinder is the Hard drive activity light - is this off / on solid/ flashing ? ( if its off you may not be able to see it)

Tigah
02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Yepp I see it, I remember I was staring at it for awhile. It blinks on and off for abit and then it stops completely.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmmmm Okay- if its not doing anything then its halted, activity shows as glowing or flashing madly.

Had this happen once with the Beta Vista on a desktop PC - try this. Crash the laptop. Remove the power lead, press down and hold the power button - put the power lead back in, try rebooting - look at the activity light to see what its doing. Could take 10-15 minutes, if no activity ----------->

What happened with the above is the drivers didn't load correctly, crashing it, for the lack of better wording "forced the damn things" to reload,but this was a beta - to be expected

If that still doesn't work try this - shut it down again - restart keep pressing F8, (HOPEFULLY it will have loaded enough of windows to do this) if you get the option to select Safe mode , using the arrow keys select it, press enter, see what happens. This loads windows with only inbuilt default drivers.

There is a possibility the DVD may be corrupted ( this does happen sometimes) or they have supplied the wrong recovery DVD.

Tigah
02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Alright wonderful. I'll try this out tomarrow and post back how things are working out because its 3 in the morning here =p

Thanks abunch, hope it works!

pctek
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
It got stuck for some reason. Start it again and if it doesn't continue, redo the install from scratch.

Tigah
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Well alright, I tried booting the laptop by safe mode and during the process it stops at windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys. Doesnt move after that.

Im not sure what this means, but im guessing this could be the problem?

Billy T
03-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I have an LG E500. I got it just this year.

I presume you mean during 2007. If so, surely it is still under warranty so why muck around? Take it back, tell them it just crashed and won't accept the recovery disk.

Don't say anything more, or at most tell them you were typing an email, let them fix it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Not really wanting to repeat Suggestions - Do what the other people suggested first Above ( good advice) - then if that doesn't work, contact who ever you got it from, or LG service / technical department and tell them the recovery is not working.

Where you stated where it locks - windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys This is the drivers trying to load.

This can be caused by either a faulty disk, or incorrect drivers.

Bit like putting oil in the petrol tank of your car - it will go in but don't expect it to work.

Tigah
03-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Alrighty, well hehe.. It was a good effort, I suppose I'll run it back to where I got it from. Thanks for the suggestions :]