PDA

View Full Version : No Help & Support

willbry
02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Help Please ! I have lost my first lifeline. Just as well I've got Press F1.
I'm using XP but have a problem with "Help & Support". When I click "Start", H & P with its icon are there in the main Programme window, but when I click on it , not only does it not open but the complete programme window disappears from the desktop. Every other programme in this main window does open except Help & Support. I've looked in the Windows folder and there is a Help sub-folder containing thousands of files with strange names and question mark icons so it seems as if the help files are still in the system but I need to be able to access the main "Help" window from the start drop down menu.

grahic
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
buy a new computer.

SurferJoe46
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
buy a new computer.

Grafic, whoever you are..that is just juvenile and not warranted...I notice that no-one is responding to your problem yet...wanna guess why?

I've reported your post to the mods.

Now..on to this problem.....

Wilbry..please provide some info on your system,...it makes it a lot easier for any of us to help you.

Safari
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Try this

Click Start, then Run and type Services.msc
-Double-click Help and Support
-Set the Startup type to Automatic
-Start the Service

If that does not work follow the instructions at this link
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
One quick thing to try is download the MJ Diagonostic ZIP from the left on This Page (http://helpware.net/downloads/#MJs)open the tool and click on MJ's Diagnostic, it will reregister the possible damaged dll files.

You can also have a read of This article (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm#h&s) From Kellys Corner on the problem and fixes.

Good luck.

bevy121
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Try reinstalling the help centre maybe?

bring up task manager (ctrl/alt/del) and end task if any of these running

helpsvc.exe
helphost.exe
helpctr.exe

open notepad and copy/paste the following in to create a batch file.

net stop helpsvc
cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
rd packagestore /s /q
rd installedskus /s /q
cd binaries
start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
start /w helpsvc /register

Save file making sure to change the "Save as type" from "Text Document" to "All Files" and call the filename help.bat and save to your desktop
Then double click the file to run it :)

*Edit*
You beat me again WT :)

willbry
02-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your advice guys . Here are my specs Surfer Joe

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61VME-S2
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F6 01/04/2007
Drives Memory Modules c,d
320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
275.81 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D [CD-ROM drive]

ST3320620A [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5QF417EJ, rev 3.AAE, SMART Status: Healthy 960 Megabytes Installed Memory
Have had no joy with run services.msc leads. Starty up type is already set to Automatic so will have a go at the other leads provided. Apptreciate your help.

Jen
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
buy a new computer.This piece of inane advice (given not for the first time) has been dealt with privately.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
You beat me again WT:nerd: LOL no race - I was working on a customers Lappie, thats virus infected - so much for the holiday. Not much to do while scanning - and I don't really want to cut the lawns yet.