PDA

View Full Version : MY COMPUTER GONE VERY SLOW! What the hell?

grahic
02-01-2008, 03:29 PM
What the hell is wrong with my bloody computer?

The computer was working fine until something really gone wrong. What happen was i was installing a video game, while it was installing from CD, the installation was frozen and the CD-Drive were keep making this noise. I realise the CD had alot of scratches. Once i pull the CD out, the computer was froze and i had to reboot the computer by pressing the reboot button.

While the computer was loading to window, it was really slow to load. it tooked over 2mins to get into the window.

When it finaly loaded, it was so lagging how i couldn't move the mouse as well. When you move the pointer, it stops while you are moving the pointer, this pissed me off. Another thing when i play a game such as counter strike, the loading was slow like a pig and the game was lagging.

What the hell is wrong with my computer? Is the CD-drive fault? or the hard disk? Any ideas?

Thanks

grahic
02-01-2008, 03:33 PM
i done a full virus scan and spyware, adware scan. found no viruses or whatsoever. But it still doing the same thing. What the hell is wrong with my computer? Ahhhh happy new year by the way.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM
From what you described
What happen was i was installing a video game, while it was installing from CD, the installation was frozen and the CD-Drive were keep making this noise. It sounds like the game only half installed. When it froze obviously not every thing was completed, what may be happening is when you start the PC, sections of your game are trying to carry on installing, or trying to start, but because not every thing is there it cant do it.

Don't know if you have tried cleaning the CD and retry, but cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol does sometimes work - If the CD is to badly scratched then no amount of cleaning will help, there are places that resurface CD's - our local Video shop does them for $8.00 each

You can try starting the PC in safe mode, go into system restore and wind the PC back to before the game was installed, this should help.

PS: Happy New year as well.

grahic
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
hey mate, i broke the CD into half because i was pissed off. Um, yeah i forgot mention i tried the system restore but still no answer..

Safari
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Get a new computer.

Renmoo
02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Safari: Get a new computer.
Or a Mac :p

I would suggest that you copy the content of the CD to the computer first, then install the program from the hard drive.

Cheers :)

stu161204
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I would suggest that you copy the content of the CD to the computer first, then install the program from the hard drive.

hey mate, i broke the CD into half because i was pissed off.

:rolleyes: ;)

Renmoo
02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
:rolleyes: ;)
:lol:

Good spot! That shows you what coffee can do to one person!

apsattv
02-01-2008, 08:09 PM
What the hell is wrong with my bloody computer?

The computer was working fine until something really gone wrong. What happen was i was installing a video game, while it was installing from CD, the installation was frozen and the CD-Drive were keep making this noise. I realise the CD had alot of scratches. Once i pull the CD out, the computer was froze and i had to reboot the computer by pressing the reboot button.

While the computer was loading to window, it was really slow to load. it tooked over 2mins to get into the window.

When it finaly loaded, it was so lagging how i couldn't move the mouse as well. When you move the pointer, it stops while you are moving the pointer, this pissed me off. Another thing when i play a game such as counter strike, the loading was slow like a pig and the game was lagging.

What the hell is wrong with my computer? Is the CD-drive fault? or the hard disk? Any ideas?

Thanks

The problem seems obvious to me. Your pc struggled to read the cd due to the scratches creating a bunch of errors so windows kindly downgraded your IDE DMA settings.

Thats is why the slow pc. You need reset re-enable DMA for your ide devices. In device manager

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

wratterus
03-01-2008, 01:51 PM
The problem seems obvious to me. Your pc struggled to read the cd due to the scratches creating a bunch of errors so windows kindly downgraded your IDE DMA settings.

Thats is why the slow pc. You need reset re-enable DMA for your ide devices. In device manager

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

I'd agree,

Often you need to uninstall the drive in question and the IDE controller from the device manager and reboot to re-enable DMA.

apsattv
04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
A followup would be nice?

grahic
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
hmm. might be thanks