PDA

View Full Version : xp over vista

bluezone
02-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi there just got a new laptop a HP dv2610TU with vista on it Im wanting to install xp pro on it I hate vista and hardly any of my sooftware works.

I put the xp pro cd in and restarted and booted cd and it says theres no hdd hen i click enter to install xp.

I have read you have to format the hdd so vistas all gone and then install xp,

I have the drivers for the laptop,

No floppy drive,

What program is the best to boot off cd to format the partions before installing xp.

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Turn the native mode, or native IDE option off in the BIOS.

It sounds like its a SATA hdd.

Then it should find the hdd.

Then format / install XP.

The XP cd will let you partition/format

Then turn the option back on, after XP has been installed.

kjaada
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
This blog appears to reinforce your view of Vista:
http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9838338-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1023_3-0-5
It could a thing of the past before very long.

ledzep
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
You are doing the right thing going back to XP Pro.
I've recently installed two new PCs at home, both XP Pro. I did have a good look at Linux (Ubuntu) but most of my current hardware and software is Windows based and a Linux move was going to be too hard.
I am not expecting to use Vista in its current form for several years, if ever.

bluezone
02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
yeh going to tru it now thanks. Yeh i have played round on vista the last 3 days a man what a nightmare and software wouldnt work. OH and all the bloody pops, grrrrrr. I have built a file server and wireless networking setup to the laptop so can run software and movies music and that plus storage.

XP PRO ALL THE WAY.

VISTA IS A DEVIL RAM EATER

bluezone
02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
ok i looked in bios and theres not a lot inthere couldnt find the HDD option, and yep its a sata

pctek
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Um, you'll need to have downloaded all the XP drivers for the PC first, sound, LAN, graphics, mb chipset etc.

And made sure there are actully XP drivers available.

bluezone
02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeh downloaded all the drivers off the hp website for xp version.

I have partion magic and can make a bootale floppy but laptop hasnot got a floppy. any ways to make a bootable cd. vista will not run Partition Magic i have got it on my other pc

bluezone
02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
ok i have got nlite and made a modded version of the xp cd with the sata drivers on it and its still no go grrrrrrr.

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 10:24 PM
So did it have an option in the bios to disable native sata?

Did u try pressing F6, during the install to see if that worked?

You did unzip the sata drivers right and get the right sata drivers for it?

Not just any SATA driver?

bluezone
03-01-2008, 12:17 AM
No option in the bios to disable native sata.

Tryed F6 on intall of xp pro but dont have a floppy drive on the laptop to install the sata driver.

Yeh unzipped it and added it to the xp cd using Nlite.

Got XP pro Sp2 on laptop running now. Just need to install couple drivers. will get back to you if have any problems.

SATA driver i got off the Intel website. i found a forum on net that had a link to it. That sumone asked for for there laptop same series as mine.

Greven
03-01-2008, 09:46 AM
The easiest way would be to abuse DSE's returns policy - get a USB floppy drive, create the sata drivers floppy, install XP then return the floppy drive saying you changed your mind.

bluezone
03-01-2008, 05:22 PM
LOL. Yeh you could do that. but the Nlite software way is free and dont have to return it lol.

bluezone
03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
OK got a email from HP today and thay say:

we understand that you want to downgrade operating system of your Notebook PC.

Mark, I need to inform you that the notebook has shipped with vista and all required drivers are available in HP website only for vista. If you are downgrading the operating system to XP then we will not be able to provide the drivers for XP as because of the drivers for XP are not available with us We deeply regret for the same. Also you will not be able to get the all features of the notebook with XP. If you are downgrading the OS then this will be at your own risk.

However, the systems configured with Windows Vista Business can be downgraded using genuine Windows XP. Therefore user will need to purchase the XP CD along with the driver from HP If you need any other technical assistance with the same please feel free to get back to me with the below mentioned details, I will be more than happy to assist you further.

The hp website HAS got sum drivers for the laptop for xp and intel have the sata driver. Im still needing um drivers.

This is the list of problem devices in Device manager:
-Base System Device
-Base System Device
-Base System Device
-Ethernet controller
-PCI Device
-SM Bus Controller
-Video Controller
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

And in Everest It has the same devices and one more:
- HP Intergrated Module.

Is there any software or online tool that will find the drivers i need?

Greven
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
yuou need to go into the computer summary in everest & compare it to device manager - the ones that show up in the summary but not in the device manager are the ones you need drivers for. I don't know what the HP integrated module is.

bluezone
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
yeh both programs so the same but everest has that xtra 1.