PDA

View Full Version : Satellite tuner cards

ledzep
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Interested to know who is successfully using PC satellite tuner cards, and with what software.
I've been trying to set up a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000. Wonderful card - does FM radio, analog, DVB-S and DVB-T TV. But the PowerCinema software doesn't seem to find NZ digital satellite transmissions (I use 9,750/10,600 LNB). And WinTV will only find half the Freeview channels.
Anyone using this card successfully on XP Pro (not Media Centre edition)?
Or recommendations on better card or software?

apsattv
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Nothing wrong with the cards themselves. Why not try progdvb or dvbviewer or any other software?

Have you actually confirmed that you don't have an issue with your dish install? a commong one is the lnbf is badly aligned and needs slight tweak.

ledzep
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
DVBviewer is one I want to try (they are on holiday till 7th Jan). Are you using ProgDVB or DVBviewer yourself?

Dish install is fine - all channels working fine through a set-top box. You are right about the LNB, my signal levels were down until I got that right.
The problems appear to be with the software scanning the satellite frequencies. Other functions of the card (FM radio, Analog TV) work, and I can receive some satellite channels using WinTV 4. Out of the box the PowerCinema software doesn't work on OptusD1, but can be patched for NZ conditions (which I've done). It scans and seems to find the channels, but doesn't deliver any audio or video.

I'm interested to know if anyone has actually got it working.

apsattv
02-01-2008, 12:54 AM
This should get it working, seems you need a patch for the 11.300 lnbf setting

http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/forum/index.php/topic,413.0.html

CYaBro
02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Have you tried Mediaportal?

I am using it with two DVB-S cards and it works great.

ledzep
02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I downloaded ProgDVB and it worked great, scanned and found all the freeview channels immediately.
I installed MediaPortal but the setup looked hard. Maybe I need to read the online help again, but it seemed I had to set up all the channels manually - no scan?
Re the PowerCinema patches, I applied them all, tried some of my own, couldn't get it to work. My LNB is 10600 (the standard patches are for 11300 and 10750).

ledzep
08-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Got DVBviewer working last night. As installed it doesn't have Optus D1 satellite transponders set up - Optus B1 will work, but better if you use transedit to input the correct frequencies for 1600: D1 Satellite.

So now I have ProgDVB and DVBviewer working great. WinTV works only for the Freeview 12,483 MHz channels (even a manual scan does not find 12,456 MHz channels). PowerCinema scans, finds all the channels, but displays nothing - I believe it works ok for a 10750 LNB, but not a 10600 LNB despite applying the patches (suspect hard coding within the application).

Still haven't got MediaPortal to successully scan and find any stations but haven't spent much time on this. Of all of these, WinTV and ProgDVB were the easiest to set up and use.

CYaBro
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Have a read of this for MediaPortal setup
http://mcraenz.googlepages.com/

ledzep
09-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks, good page. Will try this out tonight.
Re DVBviewer, as downloaded it doesn't have the correct frequencies for Optus D1 satellite. I've created a new ini file and sent it to the developers in Germany so that future downloads will have the B1 satellite removed and D1 satellite for us guys down under.

hazza87
09-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I also have a Hauppauge HVR 4000 and have tried power cinema win tv and media portal with and without tv server. Currently Win TV picks up all freeview channels fine using manual scan of the 2 freeview frequencies as well as using correct lnb settings for me 107500000 low 0 switch and 11300000 high worked i followed these instructions of another post here. But win tv displays all analogue tv channels with no audio as well as fm radio. Cyberlink is unable to pick up DVB-S channels have applied all the patches and registry changes still no luck may try again though with instructions posted above, it does however pick up analogue and fm radio channels ok. Finally media portal currently picks up freeview channels perfectly without tv server but not with it. followed the instructions here
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Regs/3769
i am still unable to get it to pick up the analogue channels via just media portal though it shows the analogue part of the card it says unable to create graph when adding it and then gives no tuning options when added.

ledzep
11-01-2008, 03:32 PM
See http://www.wintvcd.co.uk/beta/HCW_ChanDB.exe for patch for WinTV to get audio sound on analog TV and FM. I've set up MediaPortal and successfully scanned channel, but couldn't get it to display them and had some lock-up problems. ProgDVB and DVBviewer work fine, but only on digital TV.
WinTV still does not pick up 12456 MHz Freeview channels (I have a different LNB to hazza87).
I do have a help request posted with hauppauge/Cyberlink, they are still working on it. PowerCinema would be nice to use, it has a nice interface and is easier to set up than MediaPortal.

Bantu
11-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Powercinema does not work with the 4000 card. I have worked through the patches with cyberlink and still no go. Closest I get is it finds the channels but does not display a picture.

Use Mediaportal but use the TV Server, Client and Plugin for best results.

Also a large thread on this on this forum, it has a dew settings details.

hazza87
11-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Have read all the threads about it but still cant seem to get it set up correctly, Under tv server it will scan the correct frequecies from my custom satellites.xml file and freeview.ini but won't pick up any channels on them for some reason

ledzep
22-01-2008, 03:24 PM
As an update, I have continued to work with the Hauppauge help desk. There is no update for PowerCinema. There is an update for WinTV, CD 4.0a (downloadable from Singapore web site). With this and an edit to the satellites.xml file WinTV works fine on all Freeview channels through DVB-S. WinTV ok on Analog TV as well, but the Composite input doesn't work. Composite input works fine on PowerCinema!
I have still been unable to get the non-TV server version of MediaPortal to work, will download and install the TV version soon.

Bantu
22-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Mediaportal Install:
1 Media Portal Client RC3 (Don't run config yet)
2 SQL Server Express
3 TV Engine - Setup.msi
4 Media Portal SVN the version same as the server
5 TV Engine - SetupPlugin.msi (This links client and server)
Set TV Server up. Currently using DVB-S on Optus B1/D1 sucessfully (no need to change satelites.xml or the ini's.
In LNB Setup page; I checked Override default LNB Frequencies:
Set LOF1 and LOF2 to 10750, Switch 0 then went to Scanning Tab. (Depends on your LNB)

DVB-S Scanned 104 Channels. Mostly SkyTV and a lot of duplicates.
Analog Scan: Country New Zealand, Antenna, Sensitivity Medium. Checked Don't Merge with the same name.

Unpack NZTVLogos.zip into /MediaPortal/thumbs/tv/logos

I use MediaPortal on my 4000 Hauppage card and a dual LNB Sky dish. I can record several freeview channels at the same time.

hazza87
22-01-2008, 07:53 PM
So you have managed to get the analog tv and dvb-s working through tv server at the same time? I was previously told that tv server did not work with the analogue portion of a HVR 4000 and as of yet i am unable to get that or the dvb-s to work properly. The dvb-s issue seems specific to my system perhaps due to 64bit vista but i havent heard of anyone getting the analog with the HVR 4000 in tv sever because of the software based encoding system it uses for the analog signal.

Bantu
22-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I pick up analogue through my 350 card. DVB-S works fine though. But yes I can record both analogue and dvb-s

Mediaportal sees both cards