PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Broadband

Quiet
01-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi there: Am looking at getting my parents and mother in law onto broadband. Looking as cheap as possible. We are looking pretty much email and windows update as the only activities going on.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Happy New Year

Scott

wainuitech
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Depends what part of the country you live in as well - Xnet appears to be popular for ADSL with Telstra Cable in areas that have it. Most ISP's have different plans to suit your needs.

Quiet
01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
folks live in Palmerston North. Mother in law lives in Rural Canterbury. Be nice to go below $20 for a low expectation plan.

Tukapa
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
You will be pushing it for under $20 but Xnet will do 256k down and 128k up with a 3GB cap for $29.95.

Probably about your best option.

:2cents:

And if you don't use all 3GB it will be cheaper - $26.95 base + your actual usage at $1 per GB

robbyp
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
folks live in Palmerston North. Mother in law lives in Rural Canterbury. Be nice to go below $20 for a low expectation plan.

ADSL doesn't work well in some rural areas, and it depends on how far you are from the telephone exchange. If you contact telecom they will be able to do a line test on your phone line and email you the test. They are very efficient at doing this and will usually have it done within an hour of you phoning. Xnet is a good ADSL provider, but you won't be able to get any broadband for less than around the $30 mark. If ADSL isn't avalibale in your area, you will have to go for a wireless option, which will be more expensive, but that is the cost of living in a rural area and user pays.

jason_f90
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Orcon has a 256k/128k plan with 200mb for $19.95 a month though you have to have your phoneline with them. Xnet would be your best bet as Tukapa mentioned.

If all you're going to do is email and windows updates, I don't really see the point in getting a broadband connection. :s

pctek
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Xnet
$26.95 base + your actual usage at $1 per GB
Well you know, they do charge it by the MB, they don't round it to the nearest GB, so it is possible to get $27 and a few cents.

Hhel
02-01-2008, 08:04 PM
In the Palmerston North area, Inspire works out pretty competitive. I pay $30 for 256 / 128 and 2 gB. ISP seems highly rated by its users.:thumbs: I don't see any reason to change from them.

Jim

Quiet
02-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I see a gap in the market here.

I had heard that Xnet and Inspire were pretty good.

Anyone who has tried rural dialup and seen how slow and how many reconnects you need just to download a few hundred k of mail would appreciate even the slowest of ADSL connections.

At my house I ended up going for www.scorch.co.nz as the cheapest non-cable alternative. Works pretty good for me. Pity about the price though. :-(

Tukapa
03-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Well you know, they do charge it by the MB, they don't round it to the nearest GB, so it is possible to get $27 and a few cents.

Yep - I realise that but whats a few cents amongst friends? :D

berryb
03-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Anyone who has tried rural dialup and seen how slow and how many reconnects you need just to download a few hundred k of mail would appreciate even the slowest of ADSL connections.

:-(

The biggest thing about dialup in rural areas is the speed at which the modem is set at - 33k or 56k. All new modems are 56k and need a very clean phone line to work at there best. A lot of rural phone lines have noise on the line and this kills a 56k connection as the data gets corrupt and has to be requested again and again and can bring the dial up to it's knees. Changing the modem to 33k will often be faster than 56k as it can handle a noisy phoneline a lot better with less data loss.

I often had to slow modems down to get a better speed when phone lines were noisy.