PDA

View Full Version : Power calibration error

gza
31-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I have a HP Compaq Presario S3010AN desktop com that is pretty much standard factory issue. I've added an Asus Quietrack DRW 1814BL dual layer DVD Multi RW about 3 months ago.All was well until i started receiving a popup message stating that burning has failed:reason being 'power calibration error'. Once I was told that the dvd was dirty.It was fresh out of a pack.I have used a cd/dvd lens cleaner but am still getting 'no go' messages. Any help on this frustrater will be much apprecciated. Thanx. gza:badpc:

pctek
31-12-2007, 09:05 AM
There are two common causes for power calibration errors.

Low Quality Media

At the start of each burn the drive will burn to a small section the the disc to adjust the laser power for the media being used. Low quality media is inconsistent and will frequently give hit or miss results during the power calibration.
Keep in mind that many of the brands of media aren't actually made by the company selling them. To find out who actually manufactured the media you can use DVD Identifier.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Your Burner Is Dying

This one is self-explanatory. But being a new ASUS I'd say its the media you are using.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Havent had this prob yet, I'm using the same burner.

What kind of media are you using and whats the brand of the media?

Verbatim? Imation? Does it happen with blank cds and dvds?

Are you using an 40 or 80 wire IDE cable?

You could try updating the firmware (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ODD/DVD-RW/DRW-1814BL/PATA_113_0522.zip)

This is for XP.

Whats the PSU in the case?? Is it 400W plus?

gza
31-12-2007, 11:43 AM
thanx. I'll try new media. I've used Verbatim lightscribe dvd & can't get them to print out,but thatsd something else. Also I've used TDK,DSE. Also some inkjet printables I got for $20 a pack of 20.They all worked well except for the no-print lightscribe thing.I will have to replace the IDE cable as I get info @ bootup that 'no 80 connecter cable on secondary IDE.'ALso I Googled my query last night & was given a few options to try. I've only burnt about 70 DVD's & 20 CD's on the machine thus far. Burns cd's but not dvds. Anyway, thanx for your help.I'll try your suggestions.

gza
31-12-2007, 12:20 PM
The PSU in my com is Bestec ATX 250-12z REV. 250W. The software I use is OS;XP Home+ SP2 & to create cd's/dvd's are iTunes for cd's, Nero7 Premium Reloaded or either Magic DVD copier,VSO XtoDVD,or Apollo DVD copy. Magic & Apollo started sticking @ 99% burning & eventually ejected a useless dvd.Now they do nothing,however, I have just installed the Firmware update suggested and will now go looking for an 80 connector cable. then it's try another burn. cheers.happy new year :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I would get something better than a 250W.

I wouldnt be surprised if thats what the prob is

Only prob is, a new PSU may not fit in that case.

To use Lightscribe, you have to install this if it isnt installed (http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/Windows/index.aspx?id=810)

Lightscribe doesnt get installed with Nero, if this is what you've been trying to create a LS disk with.

Also, what version of Nero is installed?? 6.xx? 7? 8.xx?

Is this burner by itself on the IDE connector?? Or is there something else on the same IDE connector?

Put it on Master...

The 80 wire is the cable with one blue connector on the end you plug into the mobo.

gza
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM
power calibration error gone now.I had to put burner on same connector as my HD.(80 GB Western Digital-WDC WD800BB-00JHCO)but it did job.Get its own 80 connector asap(other one left in Auckland when I trying to move things around). All I'm running on computer PSU apart from mobo/AMD 1.67 Athlon XP 2000+/FDD is HDD & DVD AS a slave @ mo.
Managed to burn a dvd using Magic dvd copier yesterday but it sticks @ times when playback both on comp. & home dvd player. As does the original of it . Tried to do it today with Nero Recode after a decrypt,all good till it went to burn,then popped up a Fail notice:reason; "No Seek". Just tried to do it again on nero vision 4 pulling file over to it from Nero Recode. My HDD Inspector went off saying HDD temperature was 137*F! I shut down. Today also, I notice that when I put a blank dvd into dvd burner & open 'My Comp' to look @ the dvd icon & the window opens to say that its in there, it says I've inserterd a blank CD &the icon changes to a CD drive. It does it with both dvd RW's I have. They both return the same results.Unfortunately. Finally, I only tried to use the Lightscribe twice, thought that it probably needed software to get it working. The Asus only came bundled with Nero7 Essentials. I am now aware that I should have got a LightScribe software disc when I bought it. However, Speedy Gonzales, I will go to site you give link to & go from there. Methinx I'll get on with building a com from scratch.Only had this one 6 months & HP tell me that it first registered as sold 3 years ago. The RAM's PC2100 DDR 128MB & thats 7-8 years old. I added 256 MB of PC2700 & was going to replace these with 1GB Hynix DDR 400 but decided that maybe $100-150 better spent on new bits. Thank you all for your time & help. gza

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
When the icon changes to cd in my computer, this is normal, when you put a blank cd or dvd in. It happens here as well.

Put the burner by itself on Master Primary. The hdd/s on Secondary Master and slave if you have more than 1 hdd.

Dont use RW's all the time, theyre not always reliable.

Use DVDR + or DVD-

What IDE port was the burner on originally, when this calibration error came up

Is this error ONLY appearing with RW's?? Have u tried using DVDR's??

And are cdr's or cdrw's (if u use them), bringing up this error?

gza
02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
The version of Nero I am using is Nero Premium Reloaded 7 10 1 0

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
And what about the blanks youre using?? Are u using RW only??

Are u using DVDR as well?

gza
02-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Burner was on Secondary IDE Master when calibration error came up. Originally HDD was 40GB WD400 Enhanced IDE 5400rpm. I added the 80GB as slave;both on 80 connector cable to Primary IDE connector. 80GB now master HDD.no slave installed.
Had CD ROM & Asus DVD+ RW on secondary 80 connector as master/slave respectively.Now just Asus & 80GB HDD on master. Change that soon as I can. Have only been using DSE 4X DVD+RW for testing.Verbatim 16X DVD+R LightScribes used twice ,3 month ago.Others I used were from PB Tech. Auckland.$20 for 50. They were 8X DVD-R & burnt & 14X on Asus no problem.The few of those that I have left don't register when I try to use them,so I don't bother with them now. CD's burn ok. Hmm, I scratch my chin now, but will get it right. one more thing & this is a beauty--Shortly after I bought the computer (off a little old lady that bought it new 31/2 year ago & only used it for banking & playing Spider Solitaire)& added the 80GB slave to it that I'd bought in Invercargill 2months before from DSE, the HDD S.M.A.R.T failed on the 80GB slave & Lost everything on it as DSE or myself couldn't retrieve it from HDD. They replaced the drive for me. Then,a month later I decided to reset the com to factory setting using the 'System Recovery' that comes with HP Compaq Presario. Disaster. Blue screened & committed Hari-Kari. Reformated, reloaded XP home SP2 etc,the lot. had to go get the drivers for the Mobo et al from off the net. That was an education!!! It's since then that I've had the prob with calibration though I was getting results for a while. I think the power calibration prob is in the 'no 80 connector' as you said before, & as i said its not there now. cheers Speedy Gonzales.

zqwerty
02-01-2008, 02:16 AM
The one time when I got this error "Power calibration error" it was whilst trying to burn a r/w DVD, the burner was damaged and I replaced it, it was about a year old, just out of warranty and smelled burnt inside, on closer inspection a power transistor was cooked. I had burnt about 40 DVD's and CD's over the year with no problems before I put in the r/w DVD.

I think r/w requires more power to erase/burn, anyway I don't use them anymore and since then no problems.

gza
02-01-2008, 04:28 AM
zqwerty, you be the 2nd helper to mention the RW DVD weakspot. I'll revert to using DVD R when I next use burner. I've got a few issues with com @ mo,and am not in hurry 2 do a burn. may purchase a new burner as another illimination step too. thanx 4 your advice.

gza
02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
after much tinkering the power calibration error is gone. 80 connector did the job. Getting good burns to DVD+/- DVD R & DVD RW. Magic DVD copier used. After 5 failed attemps with Nero 7 Recode2 & Nero Vision4, I uninstalled Nero & reinstalled it. Outcome was successful. I only have 80GB HDD & Asus DVD on secondary/primary IDE's respectively now. see how it goes. Thanx people . I've found Press F1 to be most informative,both through my own queries/answers & reading those from other members. hope to be back with you all soon. Gza