PDA

View Full Version : Computer restarts halfway.

Vict
30-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi, im having some problems with my new computer i just bought. its custom made and when i turn it on, halfway through it auto restarts. i cant get into safe mode. i mean i can get to the screen where it says it but i tried all the options they have and it it still restarts after i tried them. i hope this is enough info. and i really need help. my computer supports my hard drive,ram, and cd drive. thank you

feersumendjinn
30-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Take it back to the vendor/builder and complain loudly and at length!

radium
31-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Try F8 With last known configuration.

Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a crack.

Was it working when you first got it?

gza
31-12-2007, 01:55 AM
I had similar problem before.The solution was to that I had a piece of bad RAM & replaced it. Suggest you check your Ram is ok in the POST screen, or check that its properly seated in its slots. Question;was/has your computer ever opened Windows or whatever OS you have?

Vict
31-12-2007, 09:25 AM
no, my computers never opened windows and i have windows xp. what happens is when my computer restarts it makes a sound before it restarts.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Yup, if the shop assembled it, (and you didnt assemble it), take it back.

And tell them to fix it.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 10:35 AM
If it was shop assembled and its doing this, then it looks like damn shoddy work.
It should have been tested and made sure its running BEFORE it even leaves the shop. Cowboys come to mind.

Vict
31-12-2007, 12:28 PM
thanks for your replys, i'll do what you guys say.

feersumendjinn
31-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Let us know what happens.

Vict
31-12-2007, 01:54 PM
okie, i forgot to mention this but, when i first brought it home, installed my ram, cd drive, and hard drive, at first it got to the screen where it loads my windows xp. than it restarts the comp. but now when i try and start up my comp, it restarts right after the screen where it shows the status of the comp. oh ya, i tried usin that ultimatebootcd, it worked fine, i mean i got to actually get to my desktop. but other than that, no luck at all.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2007, 01:59 PM
So what did the shop do??

Just put the mobo in??

If u put the ram, cd and hdd in.

I would make sure u put the ram in properly. Did u hear the ram click in, when u installed it?

pctek
31-12-2007, 02:45 PM
And you did a clean install of Windows on this hard drive? Or are you trying to get it to boot with the old install? Because it won't like the old drivers on it.

Trev
31-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Oh I also forgot to mention this as well, where have we heard that before ??
:)

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 04:13 PM
okie, i forgot to mention this but, when i first brought it home, installed my ram, cd drive, and hard drive, at first it got to the screen where it loads my windows xp. than it restarts the comp. but now when i try and start up my comp, it restarts right after the screen where it shows the status of the comp. oh ya, i tried usin that ultimatebootcd, it worked fine, i mean i got to actually get to my desktop. but other than that, no luck at all.
You cant usually simply plug in an old HD with existing Operating system and expect to work. Sometimes if the old components are close enough to the new it will.

Get your windows CD, along with your product Key, and wipe the drive and do a fresh Install. Make sure any data thats on the drive is backed up someplace because this will erase every thing.

The shop you purchased the parts from couldn't have tested anything as the PC was not complete.

The Ultimate Boot CD works because it's running from the CD, not the PC's Hard Drive.

As Pctek pointed out - old drivers - wont work.
You will need to use the CD/drivers that came with the Motherboard you purchased.

Vict
31-12-2007, 07:21 PM
no i couldnt take it bak to the seller because i bought it online unless i ship it back.(was that a bad idea?). the hardrive was new, i installed an os to it. when i bought the comp, i didnt buy all the parts because i already had a few of my own already. all the computer came was with its motherboard, power supply, all the cards, cpu and the fans, so the rest i had to install myself. i'f im missing anything say it.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Vict - when you assembled the PC, did you just install the OS and now when trying to boot for the very first time you have this problem.
OR did it run OK after installing / 1st Boot and after adding in other software its playing up?

Vict
31-12-2007, 11:55 PM
when i assembled it, i put in my old harddrive the one i was using for my other computer and it went to the windows xp loading screen than poof it restarted on me. so it never actually ran ok since i never gotten to the desktop.

pctek
01-01-2008, 08:30 AM
You need to do a fresh install on the drive.
Reinstall Windows from scratch, then do all the drivers.

Trev
01-01-2008, 09:27 AM
You need to do a fresh install on the drive.
Reinstall Windows from scratch, then do all the drivers.
Yep.

Vict
01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
so how would i do that, do you mean reinstall windows on my hardrive? i don't know how to do that.

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Go into the bios, change the bootdisk to CD.

Chuck the XP cd in, save the bios settings. Reboot.

Let the cd boot. Press a key so it goes to the install screen. Follow the prompts.

You have the option to format / partition in the install screen. Then you can get it to reinstall XP.

And find your XP key. You'll need it.

Then wait for it to finish the install.

Trev
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
You well have to format your HD first to do a fresh install.

Vict
01-01-2008, 12:35 PM
on it, thanks. its installing xp as we speak. i hope it works.

Vict
01-01-2008, 01:50 PM
well, after i installed my os i actually got to the desktop hurray!, thanks to all your help guys.

Vict
01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
okie, i have this other problem once i start up my new computer. its kinda fuzzy, the screen and i was wondering whats wrong with it.

wainuitech
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Did you install the Drivers that you should have got when you purchased the Motherboard / PC.

There should have been a CD with all motherboard drivers as well as any other CD's relating to hardware, if drivers are required for that particular piece of hardware. (windows does have some - but not all)

To check if any are missing, or not installed, right click on "my Computer"> Properties> Hardware Tab> Device manager - any with a ! or X or ? are not installed.

IF you were never given the CD's please list all the parts in the PC by make and model. Directions to drivers can be given.
Mainly Motherboard and any cards installed by make and model.

Vict
01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
i used a cd to install my drivers, and i checked in the device manager but i don't see any that is not installed. what does this mean?

drcspy
01-01-2008, 06:56 PM
what type of screen do you have (size make model) and what resolution are you running it at ? and what refresh rate

Vict
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
19' lcd screen, resolution at 1280 by 1024 refresh rate at 60

wainuitech
01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
i used a cd to install my drivers, and i checked in the device manager but i don't see any that is not installed. what does this mean? Normally that means they are all installed.

Just one thing - does the PC have on board graphics or a separate graphic Card ?

Vict
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
nope

drcspy
01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
ah the reason I asked the size make model was to ascertain whether you were running the screen at other than it's designed resolution.......as you havent provided me anything but the size I cant really tell eh ............do you have the info about what the 'native' resolution of your screen is ?...and also:

your answer to this :

does the PC have on board graphics or a separate graphic Card ?

was:

nope

which is totally nonsensical.......the system MUST have EITHER onboard graphics card OR an installed 'seperate' add/on card.......which is it ?.....and WHAT is it ?.....

Vict
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM
opz, about the graphics, card i ment its not a seperate card, its an onboard one. i believe because i can't take it out. when you mean native, u ment the original size? not sure what you mean by that, and how do i check. the comp came with a intel 83945g family chipset, if thats what u wanted to know

pctek
01-01-2008, 09:26 PM
All LCD monitors have whats called the native resolution. Its what its resolution is, its not something you can change like on a CRT, well you can - via your desktop settings but if you have it lower than it should be it looks like crap. Thats what drcspy is getting at.

drcspy
02-01-2008, 04:29 AM
yep that's correct pctek !

lcd screens 'native' resolution is the res they're designed to work best at.......the blurb that came with the screen will tell you that or else I could have IF you'd posted the MAKE/MODEL of th screen........if you run the screen at different to the native res - specially lower res such as 1024x768 or 800x600 on a large screen it'll be blurry alright

Vict
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
oh i know that, but i used this lcd screen on my old cmputer and it's fine but when i switched it to my new computer it started to have that fuzzy screen.

Vict
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM
so does anyone have any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Enable cleartype. Or get a better video card. Or update the drivers.