PDA

View Full Version : full c: drive

limepile
30-12-2007, 10:21 PM
this has had to have been covered before but I can't find it in the search .
My c: drive is almost full, 16% free space left. When I use properties it shows total size 20 gigs, used 15.3. Cool so far. But when I go through everything I can find on there I am missing about 7 gigs.
It breaks down like this...I open c: it contains 3 folders
1) windows 3.34 g
2) program files 1.9 g
3) docs and settings 7.59
the first two I have no problem with, but the docs folder is giving me grief, no matter how far down i drill i can't find my 7 gigs. Every doc and folder has been cleaned out and doing the properties thing on them shows just mere mb's left.
I've done the obvious...emptied recycle bin, run cc cleaner..to no avail so guys, its up to you now !!
and
thanks in advance.

EviLClouD
30-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I think that's because the other 7 gigs is used up by hidden files + folders (essential operating files etc)

Tools > Folder Options > View > Hidden Files and Folders > check 'Show hidden files and folders'.

Now you can 'view' the hidden files/folders. See if it adds up now:)

limepile
30-12-2007, 10:47 PM
6.59 gigs found in folder named "temp", and it doesn't look like anything I want to mess with, so I guess I'll have to leave it at that. It won't defrag past about 20% which I hope won't be a problem in the future. Thanks for the help.

zqwerty
30-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Get space monger, be careful it is easy to delete important things, change this in the options until you decide what to delete:

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/SpaceMonger.html

zqwerty
30-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Also get ccleaner and run it with default settings, use the slim version, without the Yahoo tool bar:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

allow it to add the settings to your recycle bin they are very useful there and available with a right click, this will remove heaps of crap including those temp folders etc, later when you have more confidence you can add an extra setting to remove the uninstals for MS hotfixes which you will never use anyway this will give you back a couple of 100 megs on its own, you should get back a gig or two from the sound of it when you run it on default settings, remember to empty the recycle bin.

stu161204
30-12-2007, 11:41 PM
6.59 gigs found in folder named "temp", and it doesn't look like anything I want to mess with, so I guess I'll have to leave it at that. It won't defrag past about 20% which I hope won't be a problem in the future. Thanks for the help.

If the "temp" folder is under your id in the "Documents and Settings” folder e.g.: C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\

Then its safe that you can remove the contents inside the folder (Don’t delete the temp" although, just delete the stuff inside it)

If you don’t want to do that, windows can clean your "temp" for you.

Go to "My Computer" (there maybe an icon for it on your desktop, if not open up Windows Explore),

Once you are in "My Computer" look for your "C:" drive & right click on it

Click on "Properties"

Then on the first tab you get "General" Look for a button called "Disk Clean up"

Click on it & after a few mins in will bring up a window, showing you folders that it can clean up, like your “temp” folder, recycle bin etc…, tick the folders you want windows to clean up

Then click on OK, you should get a message saying are you sure you want to perform those actions,

Click on Yes,

You’re Done

If you need any help with this let me know :)

Hope this helps :)

PS: What OS are you running?? Win XP?, Vista?

stu161204
30-12-2007, 11:45 PM
later when you have more confidence you can add an extra setting to remove the uninstals for MS hotfixes which you will never use anyway this will give you back a couple of 100 megs on its own

I would not recommended you doing this, unless your sure your computer is running 100% correctly & that your happy with how its running, as you will never know when you will need to uninstall a MS hotfixe

My :2cents:

DUNK
31-12-2007, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE=stu161204;629496]If the "temp" folder is under your id in the "Documents and Settings” folder e.g.: C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\

Then its safe that you can remove the contents inside the folder (Don’t delete the temp" although, just delete the stuff inside it)

If you don’t want to do that, windows can clean your "temp" for you.

Go to "My Computer" (there maybe an icon for it on your desktop, if not open up Windows Explore),

Once you are in "My Computer" look for your "C:" drive & right click on it

Click on "Properties"

Then on the first tab you get "General" Look for a button called "Disk Clean up"

Click on it & after a few mins in will bring up a window, showing you folders that it can clean up, like your “temp” folder, recycle bin etc…, tick the folders you want windows to clean up

Then click on OK, you should get a message saying are you sure you want to perform those actions,

Click on Yes,

You’re Done
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a complicated way of doing it.

Just go. 'Programs' > 'Accessories' > 'System Tools' > 'Disk Cleanup' & follow the drop-down to "Temp" & whatever else you feel like cleaning out! All done withinWindows. Works if you're on XP. Don't know about other O/S's though

radium
31-12-2007, 01:10 AM
By cleaning up your HDD you are only putting a Band-Aid over the problem. It’s a temporary solution to an ongoing problem.

Sure you could probably clean another 2 or 3gig off using space monger or the likes, but down the track you will have the same issue, over and over again.

What you need is a permanent solution to an evolving problem.

Buy a secondhand hdd if you can’t afford a new one, try Trade me. They are easy to install. If it’s big, partition it and reinstall your OS on it, make it like 40gb use your current 20gb drive and your remaining partition to install your games, and keep your music, movies or whatever there.

Or you could get innovative and install your documents and settings & temp folder/program files/system files on 3 separate drives.

Either way, invest in an additional hard drive, you won’t be disappointed. :thumbs:

limepile
31-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm running win xp pro.
I realised a while ago that loading everything onto a c: drive was not a good thing and installed a new hdd and now load almost everything to that. I had wondered about the temp file because my torrent client used to be on c: b4 I moved it to my new drive, and it occured to me that it may have left some files behind. I also moved nero and wondered if it had left any temp burn files behind.
Dumping the temp file sounds great in theory but I don't have the confidence to just delete it. If I back it up to another drive then get rid of it...would that be a safe way to go about it ?

pctek
31-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Temp has clutter in it. There is absolutely nothing in it that is necessary to the operation of your PC. It doesn't have anything important at all.

I empty mine every day.

As for Defrag, run it in safe mode.

limepile
31-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Backed up temp file and dumped it from c: restarted and all seems well. Thanks for the advice , another thing I've learnt..as my signature says.. education...
This is such a good place to come for help.
Thanks all.

TGoddard
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Defragging will not increase free space.

The extra space is probably taken for the Windows restore system. The files for this are extremely large and are not accessible through normal means. You should go in to the restore utility and decrease the space it is allowed to use for checkpoints.

PENTIUM
01-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Better still, close Windows system restore, then re-instate it. This will flush out a lot of unnecessary debris.

effie c
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Pentium,
Looks like young heads are not all empty :D - well done- I use System restore when my old brain makes a cock up- but on your advice- I regained 2 gb on my h/d - I hope I have not been stupid - but the little space I had allocated was only a fraction of that available- and I should be alright anyway--new year new brain - yeah right---it just astonished me how much space I regained
Thank you
effie c

drcspy
01-01-2008, 04:36 PM
any and all tmp files are safe to remove also...........

good advice but superfluous when the poster downloads and runs ccleaner as this program is FAR more effective at cleaning the system than ms inbuilt thingy