PDA

View Full Version : Monotor problems

06-04-2001, 05:55 PM
Like another pf your clients I have a problem with my monitor not starting up with the PC. This started when I upgraded the motherboard from a Gigabyte GA6BXE to a Gigabyte GA6 VX7-1394
VIA chipset, the chip from a P111 450 to a P111 1000 Socket 370 and increased the ram to 640meg. All other components are the same including the monitor which worked fine with the old system. It takes three restarts on average to catch the monitor and then it is trouble free. Even when I restrat the PC from Windows its fine. Only on 'cold starts' its problem with a grey checkered box appearing on swith on. Any body got any idears.

I am using a Marox G400 graphics card and have installed the latest bios on both the board and the card. The Monitor is a basic KTX 15' (about a year old).

06-04-2001, 09:17 PM
Hi Pete, there are several things you can do to try to isolate the problem. If your PC is an ATX,ie. there is a power lead from the PC to the monitor, use a separate power lead to the monitor so that you can leave the PC on whilst switching the monitor on and off. If the monitor comes on after several tries as you indicated it can, with the PC left switched on, then that suggests a faulty monitor power supply. You may be better off then to buy a new and better monitor (unless it is still in warranty). Some monitors show a test grid when power is applied with the video cable disconnected from the PC. Try that, ie disconnect the video cable and apply power. If you get a test grid, there is a possibility that the video signal to the monitor is erratic. As in a previous posting try moving the video cable around to see if there is an intermittent bad connection. If that is the case you may find a local guru who can replace the cable for you. KTX monitors are not particularly reliable especially in the power supply department.

08-04-2001, 09:09 PM
Thanks for those who offered advise on my monitor problem. I have now tried new monitor, new lead, checked pins etc but still the screen fails to spring to life on a cold start up. It is fine if I restart or turn on the pc an hour later, but try next day and it's back to three resets to get the monitor to catch. I think the problem lies in the main BIOS with several new options available which I know little about. eg AGP speed 4x, 2X or 1X. which? It's a 32meg card but does this mean I have to set the apeture to that size (4,8,16,32,64,128 or 256 are the choices with 64 being the default) The board manual tells me zip! If any one knows about such things, I would appreciate any help.

08-04-2001, 10:43 PM
i would set your agp to 2x. 4x is better but i dont know if your vid card will use it and no game even pushes the 2x spec to the limit. when u get a decent vid card set it to 4x. apeture size is roughly half of your ram size. i would go out and upgrade your ram to 128(i hate to see good silcon computer slowed down by insufficent ram) and set the apeture size to 64.

09-04-2001, 10:11 AM
OK so the problem is not with the monitor. If tr's advice doesnt work you could try turnining down the hardware acceleration control. Go to Control Panel-Display-Settings-Advanced-Performance.

Reduce the setting and see if the problem is reduced or disappears. If it does this indicates the problem is with the video card. You may need a new one, its possible a gremlin got into your video bios when you upgraded it.