PDA

View Full Version : Home network gone bung

Tony
29-12-2007, 04:52 PM
OK, I've done something stupid, I'm sure. My home network consists of 1 Vista PC, 1 Win XP PC, 1 Win XP laptop and 1 Win Home Server.

Historically everything talked to everything - straight in, no problem. Now however if I try to see files on another machine, I am asked to logon and then nothing happens - the logon dialog just stays there. The only exception is when I try to access the home server - that is fine. This happens between all of the other networked machines.

I can't see anything different in the various parameters and I'm not aware of having changed anything "networky". All I have done recently is re-installed WinXp on the second PC and then installed a trial of VMware.

Any suggestions?

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 05:12 PM
1st you need to check the Basics.

All PC's on the Same Workgroup , Make sure that the WHS is the same as all others, in fact check on WHS and change all PC's if required to what ever network / workgroup name it is using.
Make sure No two computers have the same name - only 1 name can be on a LAN
Make sure all firewalls are letting through the IP range of your LAN
With WHS you need to have all the PC's actually Log into the server, if you have not got passwords on the PC's then that will be some of the problem - See Below
When I first set up my WHS some of the PC's that didn't have logins / Passwords to enter caused all sorts of problems, they would be seen on the LAN but thats about as far as they would go. Sometimes when WHS updates, it can do "Silly" things to the remainder of the networked PC's. I have had similar problems accessing network shares, the fix in my case was reset the offending PC's ID and password on the WHS, check on the Offending PC and reboot, that usually fixed things.

You also need to check share permissions especially with XP Pro and Vista, Could be wrong with your problem, But I have found that sometimes WHS wants to " rule the roost" so to speak and can make changes without asking.

Tony
29-12-2007, 11:34 PM
No problem with any of those. As I said, it was all working, and all I have done is reinstalled XP on one PC - with the same name as before.

feersumendjinn
30-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Silly question but did you reinstall the motherboard drivers on the reinstalled xp machine including the ethernet drivers?

Tony
30-12-2007, 01:17 PM
All sorted.

File Sharing was turned off. Of course on the re-installed XP machine it was off by default - which I'd forgotten about. How it was off on the laptop I don't know - maybe a sympathy vote.

Anyway it is all OK now - thanks for the advice.:thumbs: