PDA

View Full Version : Source of parts to build laptop?

Randolf
29-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I am wishing to build my own laptop, but as opposed to the plentiful supply of parts for desktops, there seems to be absolutely nothing available in NZ. Can anyone help please?

somebody
29-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I am wishing to build my own laptop, but as opposed to the plentiful supply of parts for desktops, there seems to be absolutely nothing available in NZ. Can anyone help please?

Your options are severly limited. Laptops generally aren't able to be "built" by end-users, due to the nature of the components. Something as simple as a motherboard will vary significantly in size, shape, and design going from brand to brand, and even just model to model, in a basic laptop. Your best bet is to find a laptop which suits your needs, and customise it a bit if necessary (e.g. add more RAM).

There used to be a company (I think it was PB Tech, or Paradigm PCs) which sold a laptop "kit", which was essentially a laptop which didn't have CPU/RAM/HDD. It wasn't actually cheaper, or any better, compared to a store bought pre-built machine.

pctek
29-12-2007, 07:20 PM
You can still get barebones laptops. And the CPUs etc for them.
Why bother though........

Randolf
29-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Why not?

bob_doe_nz
29-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Why not?

Cost and lack of availability.