PDA

View Full Version : Vista ??????

Scouse
29-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Folks. About a month ago I bought myself a new system. Vista Home Premium on 2 MB ram. The old machine was seven years old and had had more upgrades than enough and was running XP Pro.
Vista has run sweet as since I got it. Starts up and shuts down quicker, runs all my old programmes including Office Suite 2003 and various graphics programmes for a large collection. If there is any slower response anywhere it is not obvious to me and graphics manipulation in Photoshop is certainly better.
Each time I switch it on I sort of anticipate the dreadful experiences which seem to plague the rest of the world. I read in astonishment at people on this site who purchase Vista and sell it on within days - indeed within a day based on "a mate's experience" according to one recent voter.
I can recall going through the same experiences when I was thinking of moving from my beloved Windows 98SE to XP. Remember the slanging match about the new XP and Microsoft that went on for at least 18 months?
Perhaps anyone with real first-hand negative experiences of Vista might care to list the problems for my information and for the information of others thinking of moving on in this world. No "mate's experiences" please. :2cents:

pctek
29-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Well lets see.
It didn't like my printer despite finding the driver for it itself. And there isn't a Vista driver for it despite only being a year old.

It screwed up quite a few of my Excel XP files.

I hated the way it installed all this rubbish and then refused to have Add/Remove Windows components. Ok, that one can be gotten around with VLite but still.....Big Brother Microsoft.

I hated the no FAT32 choice.

And it was slower. I was dual booting at the time so it was noticable the difference between the two. Having only one on the PC is not an accurate test.

All that for what? Pretty screens? I couldn't care less what an O/S looks like, its what it does. Or doesn't do.

Anyway why bother starting this up again? If you're happy and it works for you then good.

Eventually we will all be stuck with anyway so its a waste of time banging on about it.

ughnz
29-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I echo pctek on the amount of crap you are forced to endure with a standard install and the eye candy is a waste of time and CPU cycles.

I have not had to many problems as my hardware was purchased with vista in mind and that I think is the problem with most people they have not done their homework before leaping in.

To make matters worse I have gone the x64 path but have not come across any hardware issues yet thanks to getting the right hardware in the first place.

As for software only winmx is having problems, but that is what virtual PC is for :) put win2k on the VPC and have no problems with any software that wont work.

No problems with office 2003. Nero on the other hand was more trouble then it is worth!! CDBurnerXP works well so am sticking with that.

Firefox & Thunderbird work fine as does all my Add-ons.

The help and support option with its error reporting and problem solving has worked well and provided useful information, which for MS is a bit of a first.

The interface is very different from XP/2K and will take some getting used to certainly to find more technical options.

With the x64 versions drivers MUST be signed so if you use old hardware you are out of luck unless it is natively supported or updated drivers provided by the manufacturer.

Hope may 1cent worth is of help.

Cicero
29-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Surely you purist,who don't like the very pleasant affects of Vista,should move to Linux,the serious computer peoples choice.!

andy
29-12-2007, 05:38 PM
My notebook came with a gig of ram and Vista Home premium and ran like a snail, I hated it. I have now upgraded to 2 Gigs of ram and wow, wot a difference. Vista is now so fast! Some things took a bit of getting used to. Office 2007 was the worst experience (but that wasn't Vistas fault). My favourite drawing package refuses to run, but then again Autosketch V2 was designed for Windows 3.1 so I guess I can't winge too much. Nero 6 didn't like it at all but Ashampoo Burning studio works just fine and was free on a Mag disk. The worst feature(s) is the nagging - do you really want to....? Are you sure? etc, but you can turn them off (eventually).
All in all, Vista isn't too bad, and why would you still want FAT32 anyway pctek?

mavey
29-12-2007, 05:46 PM
hmmm thats interesting. i just got rid of vista on my toshiba laptop (core 2 2GHz, 3gb ram, 250GB hd, nvidia 8600 and it came with vista ultimate) because:

It was slow

Photoshop wouldnt work (and adobe couldnt tell me why, they took it to senior support in the USA)

I couldnt use my microsoft media center keyboard with it, which i love dearly :)

and from my desktop (Athlon 64 X2, 3GB RAM, 750GB HD, Nvidia 7900GTX 256) because it was so damn slow, and it wouldnt take my other beloved media center keyboard, plus its version of movie maker is missing analouge support

plus no support for my printers

and it doesnt play nice with tv tuners that are MCE certified, not mine anyway

*boo hoo* i still want a mac.

somebody
29-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Great to hear things went well Scouse. I think most people have a mindset that Vista is bad, based on what people tell them, before they even try it out.

I've found Vista generally a plesant experience, though that's only because I have sufficient hardware to cope. I have seen people try to install it on underpowered hardware, and for obvious reasons it ran at snail's pace - it's the same as people installing WinXP on a machine with 64/128mb of RAM.

I suppose the only other factor is whether you _need_ Vista. It certainly isn't a must-have by any counts, however as far as I'm concerned, there are a number of reasons why I wouldn't go back to XP. The primary one is security - love it or hate it, UAC certainly does it's job, and is a layer of security which should have been in Windows a long time ago.

pctek
29-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Surely you purist,who don't like the very pleasant affects of Vista,should move to Linux,the serious computer peoples choice.!

Serious people? Well I probably would except for the gaming issue.

FoxyMX
29-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Folks. About a month ago I bought myself a new system. Vista Home Premium on 2 MB ram.

Good to hear that you took the advice to go for the 2GB RAM (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84864). I am sure that has helped with your positive experience of Vista.

Bit of a shame that you weren't able to use your scanjet (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=623962&postcount=6) though.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Just looked on HP's site Scanjet 2400 Vista Drivers (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=nz&prodNameId=297431&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15179&prodSeriesId=297429&submit.y=6&submit.x=10&lang=en&cc=nz) both 32 & 64 Bit

Scouse
30-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi Folks. Thanks FoxyMX and Wainui* for your pointer towards the HP driver site. I regret to say that I tried that site a couple of weeks ago and downloaded the suggested driver. First a straight run fom their site and then a download and run from my machine. Each looks good but when the programme is then opened I get "This programme has known compatability issues - check for solutions online or run program." The former takes me back to HP and the latter is a total non-event.

After your yesterday's postings I thought what the hell, it might work if I sneak up on it again and went through the process again - with same result. Fortunately I have the old XP machine still functioning and was able yesterday to scan a few pictures and transfer them to the new machine with a thumb drive. Cumbersome but effective until perhaps next Christmas when Father Christmas might smile yet again.

My multiple clock-faces/times, the simple daily incremental backup of data, the recognition of other old junk on my desk (such as the Epson 440) and my increasing confidence in talking to the machine all sort of weigh in favour of Vista at present.

Wainui* - re a previous posting - surprisingly, I am familiar with Wainui having lived in Wellington a couple of times. The first from '59 to '61 and the last from '69 to retirement in '93. We used to bus the kids to Eastbourne, walk over the hill through the bush to Wainui and bus back to Wn. Fond memories.
All the best for the New Year. :rolleyes:

noone
30-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I am running Vista Business with A core 2 duo 2ghz and only one gig of ram.

People say that vista can run with 1gig of ram... and it can but very slowly.

Often i wil get freeze ups when i try to run a large program or open a large file. The ram just isn't there - vista uses 700megs while idling.

Everything else is great though, all my drivers are fine, all my programs work and after using it since feb i've gotten used to all of its config options. Even though i do have a copy of XP pro i have not installed it - i feel no need to at the moment.

I am going to upgrade to 2gigs of ram soon, so hopefully all my current issues will go away.

sal
30-12-2007, 02:11 PM
People say that vista can run with 1gig of ram... and it can but very slowly.
I've run Vista since release on 1GB shared (so 895MB actually) on my notebook without any performance issues. Aero and the works too and it runs sweet as.

The ram just isn't there - vista uses 700megs while idling.
I know some will disagree with me but this is what is called memory management, ie. making use of RAM. RAM is no good unless it is being utilised. Some people hate that the OS tries to be helpful and pre-empts your usage (Superfetch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_I/O_technologies#SuperFetch)) but I'd rather that than feel in control and not make full use of my systems abilities.

I am going to upgrade to 2gigs of ram soon...
Good move, same here - my extra RAM is in the mail.

noone
30-12-2007, 02:30 PM
know some will disagree with me but this is what is called memory management, ie. making use of RAM. RAM is no good unless it is being utilised. Some people hate that the OS tries to be helpful and pre-empts your usage (Superfetch) but I'd rather that than feel in control and not make full use of my systems abilities.

Try using something like Photoshop... even with Aero , Sidebar turned off it still lags bad.

It does depend on your applications, if you just use IE with word and media player then you should be fine, but it is true that vista is extremly ram clogging.

CliveM
30-12-2007, 08:01 PM
For what it is worth.
Vista Home Premium 64, Quadcore 2.4, 4 Gig ram, 8800GT with 512 ram. Had it for a couple of weeks and like it.
Pros: noticeably faster than my XP Pro or my XP Home machine on the same programs.
Cons: Steep learning curve to make it behave as I want. No drivers for my Konica Minolta DL2300 laser printer or Cannon Scanner (both just about due to be replaced anyway).

I have found Vista x64 Forums very helpful. They have a great tutorial section. Most information is also applicable to Vista x32 versions also.

pctek
30-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Vista Home Premium 64, Quadcore 2.4, 4 Gig ram, 8800GT with 512 ram.
noticeably faster than my XP Pro or my XP Home machine on the same programs.

Thats the hardware - not the O/S.
Try a clean install of XP on that same hardware, I know which would win the speed test.