PDA

View Full Version : Network Help

Luppi
29-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Hello.

I would like to create a PC Network between 2 computers.I have bought the right amount of network cable,and two TP-Link 10/100 Mb Network Adapters (model TF3239D).

The "master" PC is a 1,1Ghz Pentium and has a cable internet connection,and two PCI slots where the network cards go.This computer already has a network adapter that is used for the current internet connection,so i have installed one of the two TP Link Network Adapters on the free PCI Slot next to the current network adapter,and plugged one end of the network cable in this network adapter.

The other PC Is an Intel Pentium 2 working at 266 Mhz,that has 4 PCI slots.This computer did not have a network adapter,so i installed the other network adapter i bought on one of the PCI slots,plugging the other end of the network cable into the network adapter.

Now,when i turn on the 1,1Ghz Pentium,both network adapters are recognized on the computer,but the newly installed adapter i put in has the "Network Cable Is Unplugged" message and the X over it in the tray.So i install the driver from the CD i get,it copies a .sys file to system32/drivers,i restart the PC,but the same message appears.

The other PC also perfectly recognizes the network adapter i installed,but it has teh same "Network Cable Is Unplugged" message with the X over it in the tray.I try installing the driver from the CD,i point out the exact directory for the Hardware Manager to search in,but it doesn't find any file that needs to be installed.

Both network adapters are "Working Properly" according to Device Manager,but even if i try to create a Network using the "ignore uninstalled hardware" option or whatever,it still doesn't do nothing.

What am i doing wrong and how can i get this network to work?

borax
29-12-2007, 04:14 AM
What operating systems are they?
What sort of cable are you using, if you connected them directly the cable needs to be crossover

Luppi
29-12-2007, 04:37 AM
XP Professional on both.

Light-Gray cable with ends like these:

http://jabsplace.co.uk/shop/images/rj45xover.jpg

So it's crossover.

notechyet
29-12-2007, 05:05 AM
Luppi
Have a look at this (http://practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030710.shtml).
There might be more pages on this particular subject. This site has been my big help when I set my network.
NT

borax
29-12-2007, 05:18 AM
XP Professional on both.

Light-Gray cable with ends like these:

http://jabsplace.co.uk/shop/images/rj45xover.jpg

So it's crossover.

Its impossible to tell from that picture. The connectors of patch cables and crossover cables look the same, you need to look at the order of the wiring, this is the convention for a crossover cable:

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/images/ethcablerj45cr.gif

beama
29-12-2007, 07:34 AM
As borax has stated you need a crossover cable for this type setup.

a crosover swaps the rx and tx pairs at each end

rx - tx
tx - rx

easy way to tell if your cable is straight or crossover
put the rj45s side by side if wire colors match exactly as they appear in order going to the pins, it is a straight through cable

gary67
29-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Crossover cables often but not always have crossover stamped on them, but it would have said on the packet.

Luppi
29-12-2007, 09:01 AM
I have the cables and stuff in my other apartment but from what i've seen in pictures,i think it's a straight cable,because it's gray like that and has the same kind of ends.

Sherman
29-12-2007, 11:07 AM
First up, if you look at the network adapters themselves, when the cable is plugged into both PC's a green light should light up on both network adapters. If this is so, then you should have a working link between the two. If they don't light up, then a new (crossover cable) is probably what is required.

Once you have a link between the two, windows XP will probably pop up with a popup box saying "Limited or no connectivity". This is because by default windows XP relies on DHCP (for eg: a router/switch) to assign IP addresses to the adapter. You do not have a DHCP server in your setup, so both adapters will need to be set up with a static IP address (the most common is 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x)

To do this open the control panel, click on network connections. right click the appropriate network adapter and select properties. Select TCP/IP protocol from the list and click properties. Select the "use the following address" (or similar wording) and put in your IP address and subnet mask.

Both PC's must have an IP address of 192.168.1.x (or 192.168.0.x or...) and the same subnet mask (windows XP fills this in automatically). x MUST be different on each PC, and can be any number from 0 to 255

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Outer sheaving on the cables means nothing, I have Blue, Gray, Red, Yellow, Purple and Black Cables so they can be what ever you set them up as,
Its the wiring in the RJ45 plugs that makes the difference.

If you want straight through thats easy, if you want crossover, which you need to connect two PC's directly, without a hub / router then you have to wire then appropriately This Picture (http://www.danpex.com/faqs/cat5-conf.htm)here shows you how the wiring needs to be. This one here (http://www.comsol.com.au/utp_config.asp) gives a better " Actual picture" of both straight through and Crossover

Luppi
29-12-2007, 08:51 PM
First up, if you look at the network adapters themselves, when the cable is plugged into both PC's a green light should light up on both network adapters. If this is so, then you should have a working link between the two. If they don't light up, then a new (crossover cable) is probably what is required.

Thankyou for your reply,i was actually going to ask about the green light,it didn't go on at any time.First i thought about unplugging and re-plugging the network adapters but same thing.

I will make an enquiry about the cables.

If anybody else has any suggestions PLEASE do post.

I cannot thank you enought.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 09:09 PM
As long as you have a cross over cable to connect the two PC's, since the connection is not going through a router, then it should light up, the out going signal on 1 PC has to be going to the incoming on the other.

One thing you can check on both PC's is the LAN connection is actually active.
Right click on My Computer / Properties/ Hardware Tab/ Device Manager - make sure the LAN Adaptor is does not have a X or any thing on it.

To further check go to control Panel / Network Connections - Locate the LAN Connection ( which should be gray in color) which should say Disconnected. If it says anything else, like Disabled then its not working.

Luppi
30-12-2007, 12:09 AM
The cables are the problem.

I am going over to the other apartment and give it a go now,i just bought a crossover cable,see if it works.

How important is installing the driver on the CD on both PC's?

Luppi
30-12-2007, 03:53 AM
So,i have a crossover cable installed properly,the light flashes on both ends,i can ping between computers and all that.

At first,the Internet Sharing worked WITHOUT me doing any settings,just the crossover plugged in as is.However,file sharing didn't work so i thought of re-doing the network connection using the wizard.This is when the internet stopped working too,and the "Limited Or No Connectivity" message appeared.

Then,i set the ip's to 192.168.0.1 for the PC that has the internet connection and 192.168.0.2 for the other one,with the same subnet mask and put the internet connection on share,so it can be shared on the network.The other PC recognizez the internet connection but does not connect to any website,giving me a DNS error.

What am i doing wrong,what are the correct,step by step settings here for both PC's?

Also,i cannot share any files between the two PC's,nor the printer.

Any responses are appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2007, 04:56 AM
You cant share files, you create a folder and share it. Then copy between the folders on both.

Not a good idea to share the whole hdd.

And if u want to share a printer, you have to go into control panel / printers / right mouse / properties / sharing tab on the printer.

On the computer, that the printer is connected to.

And share it.

And then go to add printers on the networked PC and configure it. So you can print from it.

The Preferred & alternate DNS server entries under the LAN properties, you put in the router's ip under Primary (If youre using a router, or your ISP's primary DNS server ip).

And under alternate DNS server, type in your ISP's secondary DNS server ip address.

This willl get it on the internet.

Dont use the Wizard, its hopeless. Do it manually.

And if any firewalls are installed (besides XP's), these have to be configured as well.