PDA

View Full Version : Wifi encription issues

mors_sum
28-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi guys,

I'm staying with some friends who are on iHug broadband and have been using their wifi router (Dlink DSL G604T) for months, without any issues, but it's unsecured (anyone can log on) so I said I'd secure it while I'm here. I logged on to the router and followed the standard instructions to set up WEP encription, 64 bit, entered a key etc etc.

Once I did that I rebooted the router (remotely, from the web form) after which I lose my net connection because it's encripted. So far so good.

However when I look for wireless networks and then try to connect it asks for the key, and I put it in (no typos, I copied and pasted an then when that didn't work tried typing it out), and once you do that it sits there saying "connecting" for about 5 minutes before giving up, and not letting you connect at all. As soon as you unplug the router (which resets all encription settings) I can log in fine again.

I know my network card supports WEP, I've set it to connect to WEP, and two laptops and one desktop are all unable to connect once the encription is on. Anyone have any idea as to why?

I tried calling ihug support, who sent me to Dlink support who sent me to telecom support who took 30 minutes to decide they didn't know what the problem was, so I'm running out of ideas :(

Renmoo
28-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Make sure the way you have turned on the encryption setting is appropriate. Some laptops rely on third-party software for their connection configuration, while some depend on WZC (Windows Zero Configuration) as their mode of security alteration. Changing the wrong one will render your laptop to using the default security settings of the other one.

Cheers :)

CYaBro
28-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I would configure the router with a machine that is directly connected by an ethernet cable.
That way you can stay connected to the router while trying to connect a wireless client as it sounds like something is not taking doing the WEP setup via wireless. (You should be able to do it that way as I do it all the time but I have had the odd occasion when it wouldn't work.)

mors_sum
28-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I would configure the router with a machine that is directly connected by an ethernet cable.
That way you can stay connected to the router while trying to connect a wireless client as it sounds like something is not taking doing the WEP setup via wireless. (You should be able to do it that way as I do it all the time but I have had the odd occasion when it wouldn't work.)

Thanks, this is what telecom were suggesting. Unfortunately it's kinda hard to do, because the router is in a very hard to reach place and as far as I know there isn't a single network cable here :-/
I'll give it a try but I don't know if I can or not.