View Full Version : Motherboard mounting.

28-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I want to transfer my desktop to a more substantial case. The only problem I can foresee is in demounting my Gigabyte motherboard.

The five insulated standoffs have black fluted tops, almost like the tops of small tubes of ointment, instead of the usual plastic screws. These tops are beyond finger-tight and I am reluctant to go blundering in with pliers or forceps, even with an earthing lead.

Does anyone know if there is a tool available to do this job? If so, what is it called, please? Thanks in advance for any info.

28-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Never saw one like that before.
Try and lift the top off with a pair of needle nose pliers…. Carefully…
And see if there is a screw underneath? darroll

28-12-2007, 01:10 PM
You mean those plastic things that poke through the top of the board?

Just squeeze the top in and the board lifts off..........

28-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Known as simply plastic motherboard stand-off clips.

That tool would be needle nose pliers or offset (angled) needle nose pliers. Just apply pressure about half way on the arrow head, and slowly lift the motherboard up so arrow is inside the screw hole...

...But if you want it done quicker, cut them off with side cutters and just replace them with brass standoffs and #6-32 phillip machine screws, I'm sure you have plenty of those lying around and that would be the option I take.