PDA

View Full Version : Computer Beeps when turned on and won't boot

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 01:58 AM
When i turn on my desktop computer it gets to the screen where it shows the specifications of the hardware and then the computer (not the speakers) makes a continuous beep sound. Also down the bottom of the screen it says CD Drive not found and floppy drive not found (I have both a floppy drive and DVD/CD drive). At first i thought it might be something wrong with the hard drive but when i hocked it up to my laptop it worked fine. I have also checked everything inside is plug in properly to. So is this a problem with the motherboard ? or something else? Will i need to take it into the repair shop?

Specifications:
Packard bell
Windows XP Home edition
1GB RAM
2.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor
80GB HDD

CYaBro
28-12-2007, 08:04 AM
How did you hook the hard drive up to the laptop?

What does the PC do if you try to boot it without the hard drive attached?
Still get the beep?

grahic
28-12-2007, 08:37 AM
buy a new one mate.

pctek
28-12-2007, 09:28 AM
makes a continuous beep sound.

Packard bell

How unsurprising.

As to its problem, it depends on the beep codes. How many beeps? Long, short, combination?

Then we could tell you if its worth fixing.

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 11:20 AM
How did you hook the hard drive up to the laptop?

I connected it to my laptop with a hard drive enclosure (USB)

How unsurprising.

As to its problem, it depends on the beep codes. How many beeps? Long, short, combination?

Then we could tell you if its worth fixing.

The beep is a really fast pattern to fast to count the interval between(maybe like less than half a second), but this pattern just continues until i turn the computer off.

Do Packard bell's do this all the time?

pctek
28-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Repeating beeps is usually bad RAM, or badly seated RAM.
Or RAM utterly covered in huge amounts of fluff.

Packard Bells are the 2nd most common PCs I get in for hardware repairs........

CYaBro
28-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Could also be a stuck key on the keyboard.
Try another keyboard if possible.

decibel
28-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Please don't keep us in suspense - what is the most common?

Kame
28-12-2007, 01:58 PM
It sounds like faulty memory, but it seems the computer has gotten pass the basic memory check if it's proceeded to drive detection.

I suggest resetting the BIOS to default/loadsafe settings and trying again. If it continues again, then I suggest checking the RAM, which might mean replacing them. If still no luck, the motherboard is probably failing.

Anything off the IDE/FD controllers aren't needed to get a successful boot, so even if the drives weren't detected, it should have gone through. CD Drive detection is only needed when required to boot from those devices, otherwise it can be turned off to speed up the initial POST screen.

Cheers,

KK

P.S.

Guessing the most common branded machine, I would say it's HP, since I've done a lot of work on them. PB wouldn't be my second common, it would be Acer followed by Dell, PB is rare for me to see nowadays.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Could also be a stuck key on the keyboard.
Try another keyboard if possible. This sounds more like the problem, esp if its already gotten past the POST stage.

pctek
28-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Please don't keep us in suspense - what is the most common?

Acer.

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I have tried starting the computer with out the hard drive and i does not beep. I have also checked the RAM is in properly and is clean, I then reset the bios and chose to start up with default settings and it did the same thing, is it a problem with the hard drive? as i have had problems with it before. I also turned it on with the keyboard unplugged and it made no difference.

Is it better to buy a new Desktop computer and if so what brand do you recommend.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 03:53 PM
If its not detecting the HD and Floppy, it may also be a Power Supply Issue.

If you dont have another Power Supply to try, with the PC off, unplug the Molex connector (Power plug) thats in the CD drive (since that does detect) and put it in the HD. Reboot and look to see if the HD is now detected in the BIOS. If not then it could be a Blown Mobo.

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 04:28 PM
If its not detecting the HD and Floppy, it may also be a Power Supply Issue.

If you dont have another Power Supply to try, with the PC off, unplug the Molex connector (Power plug) thats in the CD drive (since that does detect) and put it in the HD. Reboot and look to see if the HD is now detected in the BIOS. If not then it could be a Blown Mobo.

Tried it and made no difference. I also said it was only the CD Drive and floppy drive it couldn't detect. I also tried connecting the hard drive using the other cables from both the floppy and cd drive and still it does the same thing, it only stops the beeping when i remove the hard drive all together.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay - read the original post to fast - sorry, thought it was only detecting the CD.
Do you happen to have another HD you can plug in to see if it detects that OK, not worried about booting into a OS, simply seeing if the Drive is detected.

You Mentioned
Also down the bottom of the screen it says CD Drive not found and floppy drive not found (I have both a floppy drive and DVD/CD drive) When the PC starts can you go into the BIOS and look to see if they are showing there - more than likely wont be,but just check.

With the HD disconnected does the CD and Floppy suddenly detect ?

If not showing there, then it could be a failed Mobo.

plod
28-12-2007, 04:56 PM
By any chance is there a floppy in the drive that you don't know about??????
Just curious

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Okay - read the original post to fast - sorry, thought it was only detecting the CD.
Do you happen to have another HD you can plug in to see if it detects that OK, not worried about booting into a OS, simply seeing if the Drive is detected.

You Mentioned When the PC starts can you go into the BIOS and look to see if they are showing there - more than likely wont be,but just check.

With the HD disconnected does the CD and Floppy suddenly detect ?

If not showing there, then it could be a failed Mobo.

I got into the bios and it can see both my floppy drive and cd drive.
When i disconnect the hard drive all it does is try to search for the hard drive then says it can't find it in the same area where the other stuff appears.

By any chance is there a floppy in the drive that you don't know about??????
Just curious

That was one of the first this i looked for. but i do no use the floppy drive anyway.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 06:22 PM
So if I got this right - it sees every thing in the BIOS ( Hardware/Drives) - but not when starting normally ?

If so I 'd like you try this - Load the Windows CD in the Drive, boot from it, you may need to check the BIOS boots CD/HD/Floppy Usually I'd put in the Floppy first, but not for this test.

Go through the following as if you are doing a Non - Destructive reinstall - But Don't.-- I want to see if the Drives and every thing are detecting without the Original OS.

IF the following gets right through to the number 5, then it could be some really screwed up software. But this shouldn't be giving the beeps.

Normally in the workshop I would use a Live Linux CD to do this, if you have one then use that. What it will do is see if the hardwares detecting OK.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box.

If you get right through to this stage then theres hope - Lets us know how far you get.

If you have any, you can also try changing the IDE cables/ribbons, in case 1's playing silly buggers

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 06:56 PM
So if I got this right - it sees every thing in the BIOS ( Hardware/Drives) - but not when starting normally ?

If so I 'd like you try this - Load the Windows CD in the Drive, boot from it, you may need to check the BIOS boots CD/HD/Floppy Usually I'd put in the Floppy first, but not for this test.

Go through the following as if you are doing a Non - Destructive reinstall - But Don't.-- I want to see if the Drives and every thing are detecting without the Original OS.

IF the following gets right through to the number 5, then it could be some really screwed up software. But this shouldn't be giving the beeps.

Normally in the workshop I would use a Live Linux CD to do this, if you have one then use that. What it will do is see if the hardwares detecting OK.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.

Sorry but i don't have the windows XP CD, The OS came with the computer when i bought it and they gave us no CD for it.

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 07:18 PM
The part where i said the cd and floppy drive is not found means it cannot find the boot record, which should say that anyway because there is nothing in those drives, i thought it meant differently earlier. When it looks for the hard drives boot record the result is ok and then go no further.

When i exit out of the bios the computer loads in the Microsoft recovery program and so i tried to do a system restore but it restarts before it does that and so gets suck on the POST screen again.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm Okay - about the only other thing I can think of to test the PC without taking it into a shop / repair place is to download or borrow a live Linux CD, something like knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)
Other live Cd's such as Ubuntu, will also test the hardware.

What this does, and it's how I test some hardware in the workshop, is boot from the Live CD, it runs through and detects all hardware, if every thing loads OK and all drives show - then generally you know hardwares not the problem. If it hangs or complains about something missing then hardwares faulty.

Apart from changing the IDE Ribbons, and if this still doesn't bring any successful results then it may need to be taken to am repairer, who should have all the equipment to tell you exactly whats faulty.
While not conclusive - if all drives show in the BIOS, then usually they are detecting, but this could also be a case that the boards failing under the load of all hardware starting.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 07:39 PM
The part where i said the cd and floppy drive is not found means it cannot find the boot record, which should say that anyway because there is nothing in those drives, i thought it meant differently earlier. When it looks for the hard drives boot record the result is ok and then go no further.
:rolleyes: :annoyed: thats completely different then, if there is nothing in either drive, Floppy or CD then it wont find anything & goes onto the HD.

But thats still not the reason for the beeps on startup.

BUT if you don't have a recovery CD or Windows CD then fixing it is also very awkward.

As a suggestion - try getting a Linux live CD from somewhere, see if it will boot from that and detect all the drives. If it does then it may simply need to be reinstalled. You also may have had sector failure in the start of the Hard Drive, this is what may be causing the Beeps - the hard Drive is not detected by the board, even though its shown in the BIOS.

This could also explain as to why it can be read from your laptop from the USB drive.

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I will download the knoppix and boot from it on the desktop computer, I will come back with the results. Thanks

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I copied the program to a CD-R and boot the computer from the disc. It comes up with an error:

ERROR: Cannot unite read-only media and initial ramdisk! hdc media error (bad sector): status=0x51 {driveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdc: media error (bad sector) error 0x34 {AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03}
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdc:
ERROR: Medium error -- (sense key=0x03)
Unrecovered read error -- (asc=0x11, ascq=0x00)
Failed "Read 10" packet command was:
"28 00 00 05 6b a8 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1420960
printK: 6 messages suppressed

I will right the rest out if needed as there is a whole lot of messages beginging with cloop:

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 10:25 PM
As long as your download was Ok, as in not corrupted (does happen some times) what you should have gotten was an ISO file. This is then burnt useing a the ISO burning section of your Writing software. Depending on what writing software you use will depend on how its done.

You may need the Image Burn from My sig - simply put in a blank CD, open the program, locate the ISO file you downloaded and click the burn button on the bottom, it will then burn the ISO file correctly.

Look on the site at the screen shots scroll down till you find the one titled WRITE , in the box by the writing saying "Please Select File" the folders there are where you navaigate to the ISO image saved. Once selected down the bottom is a BIG GREEN Arrow, click that and it will burn the disc., it should boot from that once done.

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 10:25 PM
just tried booting again and has booted successfully.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 10:28 PM
just tried booting again and has booted successfully. Great, on the desktop should be your HD,CD, floppy, will they open, (put a floppy in the Drive to test) HD may read as HD0 HD1.

I'll look back tomorrow - goto go

spaceman8815
28-12-2007, 11:20 PM
I can access the floppy, cd, and hard drive from the program.

notechyet
29-12-2007, 06:14 AM
Repeating beeps is usually bad RAM, or badly seated RAM.
Or RAM utterly covered in huge amounts of fluff.

PCTEK
could you elaborate the No1 Pc's?
As I am looking at upgrading in the near future and don't like to buy your No1!
NT
P.S. I did not see the answer below your post before posting my question!

pctek
29-12-2007, 09:10 AM
PCTEK
could you elaborate the No1 Pc's?
As I am looking at upgrading in the near future and don't like to buy your No1!

Well why would you buy a "brand" anyway? Go to a reputable PC shop (or online) and have one built, that way you can choose what you want and stick with the quality components. Thats the trouble with "brands" - its pot luck what brand components are put in them.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I can access the floppy, cd, and hard drive from the program. Thats Usually a good sign, if the board was totally knackered none of the above would happen.

Lets recap - The PC boots fine and runs from the Knoppix CD.

Does the PC still Beep when booting from the HD?

The PC will boot- but as you mentioned
When it looks for the hard drives boot record the result is ok and then go no further. That sounds like there has possibly been failed sectors on the HD. To test this - download This Program (http://www.tomdownload.com/utilities/file_disk_management/hdd_regenerator.htm) It will look on your drive and detrect any bad sectors, it is a trial version and will only repair 1 sector at a time per run, but at least it will tell you if the drives knackered or not. Being on the boot sectors, it should locate anything fast. Its an ISO file, so burn as per the Knoppix CD, and boot from it.

Let me know what the results are. There is one more program I'm looking for, got the link someplace :D this may fix the boot problem.

I'll look back again soon. Breakfast time :)

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Okay - once you have run that HD recovery program and told it to repair any thing it finds, thats if it does find anything, reboot the PC, depending on what has happened & what if any sectors were damaged, Windows may suddenly wake up and auto run the recovery console and fix the boot files.

If it doesn't and nothing has changed, since you dont have the XP CD down load This here (http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip) Its a direct download so should automatically start downloading. Unzip the ISO image and burn it to CD with your image burner. It is the startup, section of a Windows XP CD, it wont load windows, but it will allow you into the recovery part to hopefully fix it.

Boot from the CD, ( there will flash across the bottom of the screen "press any key to boot from CD" press any key) when you get to the screen asking what to do, select " To Repair Windows Using the recovery Console Press R " ---- Press R.
You should see C:\windows Press 1 to boot into this.
the administrator password pops up simply press Enter, this should then jump to C:\windows.
Type in chkdsk /r (Note space between k /r) press Enter.

This will go through and check your windows file system, hopefully you will see some files being found and windows repairing them. Once completed ( and it may take a while) to reboot type in EXIT the PC will reboot, and hopefully into your desktop.
If it doesn't then reload the CD, go through the whole process untill you get to C:\Windows then type in fixboot type in Y to allow, reboot the PC.

Let me know what has happened after this. There is more;)

spaceman8815
29-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Thats Usually a good sign, if the board was totally knackered none of the above would happen.

Lets recap - The PC boots fine and runs from the Knoppix CD.

Does the PC still Beep when booting from the HD?

The PC will boot- but as you mentioned That sounds like there has possibly been failed sectors on the HD. To test this - download This Program (http://www.tomdownload.com/utilities/file_disk_management/hdd_regenerator.htm) It will look on your drive and detrect any bad sectors, it is a trial version and will only repair 1 sector at a time per run, but at least it will tell you if the drives knackered or not. Being on the boot sectors, it should locate anything fast. Its an ISO file, so burn as per the Knoppix CD, and boot from it.

Let me know what the results are. There is one more program I'm looking for, got the link someplace :D this may fix the boot problem.

I'll look back again soon. Breakfast time :)

When i try to create a bootable CD form the program you gave it gives me an error message 'unable to read file! Application terminated' and it exits out of the program. Is this a compatibility problem as my laptop is windows vista home premium.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Slight opps Maybe (To early with no food :D ) the link I gave was to an older version, I have just installed the latest on one of my Vista PC's no worries.

Its an actual Install file not a ISO - Sorry about that, I got it ages ago - My mistake.

New Download Program (http://www.dposoft.net/regnow/hdd.html), if for some reason it wont install on your Vista PC, right click the exe file, Properties/ Compatitably mode/ Select Windows XP SP2 / Apply/OK, - should install OK though - then open program as seen Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/HDD_Regen.JPG) click the left button to create a bootable CD.

You can skip this whole process if you want, but I wouldn't, as this will tell you if your drive is faulty, where as the windows recovery Console (Other Post) prob wont.

spaceman8815
29-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Finally got it working, I had to uninstall the program (the latest version) then install it under compatibility mode of win xp sp2 then i had to tell the installed program to run under win xp sp2 before it would work. I have it currently scanning the descktop computer which looks like it may take a while.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 05:23 PM
If its scanning the PC, and YES it does take a while, it should find any damaged sectors If there are any within the first 30 minutes, its the Boot sectors that need to be looked at mainly.

You can stop it once its gone past about 1/4 way through, are there any damaged sectors at the start ?

Once stopped/completed you can run the CD that will allow you to boot into the Recovery Console and run chkdsk as per the instructions above. Post 32

spaceman8815
29-12-2007, 06:52 PM
If its scanning the PC, and YES it does take a while, it should find any damaged sectors If there are any within the first 30 minutes, its the Boot sectors that need to be looked at mainly.

You can stop it once its gone past about 1/4 way through, are there any damaged sectors at the start ?

Once stopped/completed you can run the CD that will allow you to boot into the Recovery Console and run chkdsk as per the instructions above. Post 32

Its now over a 1/4 finished and it has not found any bad sectors, will stop it now and run the other program.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Okay

spaceman8815
29-12-2007, 08:48 PM
After the chkdsk it said it found and fixed one or more problems so i rebooted but still it did not work. so i did the fixboot and rebooted and still it made no difference. What can i try next?

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 09:26 PM
What happened after running chkdsk /r & fixboot, , what stage did it get to.

Post back each step - eg: any Beeps, Error messages -every thing

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll look back at this post later tomorrow 30th - will be late in the afternoon,early evening - as I wont be here till then.

Reboot the PC from the Knoppix CD, Look on the C: drive for a folder called i386 - let me know if its there.

Please look also at post 40

spaceman8815
30-12-2007, 06:33 PM
When i did the chkdsk there where no error messages all it said was that "there were one or more problems found and repaired" (it scanned everything). There is also no differnces in the beep i get when i try to start up, still the same as before. Didn't get any error messages from the fixboot either, it said it had succesfully fixed it though, but still no difference.

I booted from the Knoppix live CD and have found the i386 folder on my hard drive in the windows folder. what do i do next?

pctek
30-12-2007, 08:54 PM
There is also no differnces in the beep i get when i try to start up, still the same as before.

This has dragged on.
Either take it to a tech to look at or test your RAM next.

wainuitech
30-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Something here doesnít make sense.

Going back over the Posts Ė when the PC boots, you get a series of continuous beeps Ė that means hardware problem someplace Ė BUT when you Boot from a CD, No beeps ?
Yet boots and runs fine from that CD.
If there is a hardware problem, you would normally have problems with the bootable CD as well, as in it wonít run either, but you are saying they run fine.

Those two events contradict one another.???? :confused:

Any way Running the standard repairs like you did, donít always work, so normally if thatís the case its time to reinstall the OS. Sometimes you can do a Non- Destructive reinstall; this leaves the data alone and reinstalls windows, other times wipe drive - complete install.

To make sure the RAM is OK, download the Memtest Zipped ISO file from my sig, burn it to a CD, Boot from the CD, let it run at least twice through. If it comes up with No Errors, then you can try doing a Non Distruct Reinstall and see if that fixes it.
BUT since you said you donít have the XP CD when you got the PC, there is a way around this. Post 19

Now the reason I was asking if you had the I386 Folder.;)

Warning: This may or may not work, if the I386 folder contents are damaged in any way it will fail.

MAKE sure You have the Product key thats on the side of your PC, if you don't, then there's nothing I can do - the reinstall will not work. (See last note)

1st, to see if you can do this Ė boot the PC, keep hitting the F8 Key, select Safe mode with command Prompt.
IF it allows you to enter and you end up with a Black command box with some white writing - thatís good.
If not then IGNORE all the following as its very awkward to get working right. (see Last Note)

Assuming you can get the command box - Shut down the PC.
Remove the hard Drive as you did in the first post and attach to your Laptop, Copy all data that you can not afford to lose Just in case this doesnít work 100%. While you have the Laptop connected, locate the I386 Folder from the USB attached HD, Copy it from the windows folder to the main drive (what would be the C: on the Hard Drive, may show as D:, E: or something else- Not the Laptops HD) or connect the HD back up to the PC, boot from Knoppix, Locate the I386 folder, copy to C:.

Reboot the PC in Safe Mode with command Prompt,You should then have something like C: documents and settings\your name\ blah blah Type in CD C:\I386 type in winnt32.exe Hit enter, just agree to anything, this should then reinstall windows as doing a non - destruct reinstall. when asked, enter the product key thats on the side, it will reboot several times this is normal, it will take approximately an hour.

HOPEFULLY when it reboots you will have your Desktop all up and going, you may need to reactivate the OS, thats a phone call to MS on their activation window, and tell them you had to reinstall from the product key on the PC.

NOTE:
If you don't have the Product Key, your up the creek with out a paddle. - You HAVE to have it.
If the PC wont boot into Safe mode with Command Prompt - you need the XP or recovery CD for that PC.

If None of the Above works take it to a Computer Shop to be repaired as I have gone through every thing I can with out actually having the PC On my work bench.
PHEW !! :lol: I need a beer. Good luck

wainuitech
30-12-2007, 09:06 PM
This has dragged on.
Either take it to a tech to look at or test your RAM next. Suggested the ram test - giving up is not what I do, unless the above doesn't work :D

pctek
31-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I think its time he took it to a tech personally.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 10:30 AM

So true, esp if the above doesn't work.
What doesn't appear right is if its getting error beeps from hardware on startup - the Live CD's should also be affected some way, it appears they aren't - doesn't make sense.

spaceman8815
31-12-2007, 10:44 AM

I will if no one can help me fix it on here.

So true, esp if the above doesn't work.
What doesn't appear right is if its getting error beeps from hardware on startup - the Live CD's should also be affected some way, it appears they aren't - doesn't make sense.

The memtest didn't find any errors. I will copy the files i need from the hard drive to my laptop and then do the second option you told me to do.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 11:02 AM
The main thing you need to do, unless you already have, is safe any of your data that cant afford to be lost. Pictures, documents, music, Email, Address Book, Favorites etc.

No Matter what ends up happening, its always better to have the data saved yourself, as some repair places don't always save the persons data unless asked, and then charge lots for the saving.

spaceman8815
31-12-2007, 01:15 PM
When i pressed f8 at start up all it did was bring up the option of what device to boot from first. so i restarted the computer and started randomly pushing the 2 digit f buttons, one of them eventually took me to MS recovery program where i tried a non-destructive recovery of the OS but it didn't work it said 'the path could not be found', so i did a destructive recovery which has now solved the problem. I think the problem began in the hard drive as it has done wired things like this before causing me to have to do a destructive recovery, is it because the hard drive is failing (getting old), but its only 4 yrs old and i have used older computers than that with out problems.

I would like to thank you wainuitech for all the help you have provided.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Errrr Just in case its me making a Play on Words :waughh: :lol: - When you say Destructive recovery - is the system Now working, no beeping apart from the normal 1 post beep, and you are back into your desktop.???

Regarding the Age of the HD, from what you mentioned with the results of that HD recovery CD, the first 1/4 of the drive appears to be fine.

Hard Drives can fail at any time, some can last a few hours (Had New drives fail when building customers PC's, with Good brands like Seagate this is rear- but it does happen) others keep going and going and going and outlast all other components.

Thats why its important to regularly back up and check the backup of any important data - failure can and will happen sometime - just a matter of when.

I would like to thank you wainuitech for all the help you have provided Awhh shucks :blush: - no worries

spaceman8815
31-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Errrr Just in case its me making a Play on Words :waughh: :lol: - When you say Destructive recovery - is the system Now working, no beeping apart from the normal 1 post beep, and you are back into your desktop.???

Yes all is working and back to normal, but now i have to reinstall all the MS updates again and the other programes that where installed on it.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes all is working and back to normal, but now i have to reinstall all the MS updates again and the other programes that where installed on it.

Well done - At least its going again, keep the CD's you never know when they will come in handy, and maybe learnt a few "tricks" along the way.

Have a great new Year.