PDA

View Full Version : XP Network Install

bk T
27-12-2007, 07:36 AM
This Toshiba laptop's OS is badly corrupted and unfortunately, the HDD's recovery partition has been damaged by the previous owner. Worst still, the CD Rom drive is faulty - couldn't read the install CD. I've got the original recovery CDs (XP Pro) but couldn't install it because of the faulty drive. There is an option to boot from Network when I press F12 while booting the laptop. Now, question is: how do I install it from Network - from another computer connecting to this Toshiba? Can it be done at all?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Well you could connect the hdd if its corrupted to a desktop. And format it.

And try and fix it.

And take the cd out, and get an external cd.

aidanmaz
27-12-2007, 07:43 AM
This Toshiba laptop's OS is badly corrupted and unfortunately, the HDD's recovery partition has been damaged by the previous owner. Worst still, the CD Rom drive is faulty - couldn't read the install CD. I've got the original recovery CDs (XP Pro) but couldn't install it because of the faulty drive. There is an option to boot from Network when I press F12 while booting the laptop. Now, question is: how do I install it from Network - from another computer connecting to this Toshiba? Can it be done at all?

Cheers

to boot and install an OS from the network requires Server software, ie Windows Server 2003. Like Speedy said, get an external CDROM

bk T
27-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I did connect an external CD drive (PCMCIA) but when booting, it does not recognise this external CD drive. I could not enter BIOS setup as it is password protected (by the previous owner? :badpc:).

Just read an article on installing XP over the network and it says that I need to make a bootable disk with network client. Does this network client comes with XP or how and where to get it? Maybe I should do more research on this matter. It will be great if I can just connect this Toshiba to my destop PC and boot from there to perform the recovery installation.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2007, 08:29 AM
You could try this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=83F53BE9-28FA-40E8-8EC2-631504EF5E26&displaylang=en)

But, you may need a floppy.

Altho here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994)

It still says u need the cd at the end of the doing the above.

Might have to open it up and pull the battery out to get into the BIOS.

Did the PCMCIA card card come with instructions?? You may not have to go into the BIOS to configure it.

I would connect the laptop's hdd to a desktop and format it.

You could install it from the desktop, but then you may have to do a repair after. Since, it'll install whatever for the desktop not the laptop.

Driftwood
27-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Whats the problem with the installed cd rom drive.
Some laptop units can loose contact very easily.

bk T
27-12-2007, 10:04 AM
You could try this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=83F53BE9-28FA-40E8-8EC2-631504EF5E26&displaylang=en)

But, you may need a floppy.

Altho here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994)

It still says u need the cd at the end of the doing the above.

Might have to open it up and pull the battery out to get into the BIOS.

Did the PCMCIA card card come with instructions?? You may not have to go into the BIOS to configure it.

I would connect the laptop's hdd to a desktop and format it.

You could install it from the desktop, but then you may have to do a repair after. Since, it'll install whatever for the desktop not the laptop.

I can take out the HDD and connect it to a desktop via USB but what is the use of formatting it? I need not only to reformat it but also to restore the operating system!

I did try to boot it from FDD (downloaded from MS), it boots up fine but as you said I still need the CD at the end and it still could not read my external CD drive.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Well connect it and find the isos on it.

The Iso's will be on it somewhere. Either on the main partition or the restore partition.

I had to do this with a laptop SATA hdd, that was covered in malware.

I took it out of the laptop, connected it to this with a SATA cable.

Then found the ISO's on it, copied them to the desktop. Then formatted the laptop SATA hdd.

Then burnt the Iso's to cd (11 CD's).

Then reinstalled XP on the laptop, with the CD's I burnt on the desktop.

Its good as now.

Altho, I wouldn't use USB, connect it to an IDE cable if its IDE.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2007, 10:36 AM
If you're near Mt Eden, bring the laptop here. If you cant figure it out.

I'll do it for you.

bk T
27-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks Speedy, will give it a go.