PDA

View Full Version : Setting up RAID Array

chiefnz
26-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi all,

I have 2 x 120GB Seagate SATA drives. They are connected to my system using a PCI SATA+IDE card (purchased from DSE)

I want to set the 2 drives up in a RAID 1 (mirrored) array so that I have some sort of fault tolerance for the data on the drive. At the moment only 1 of them has data on it and the other is empty. Data includes some music, photos, downloaded freeware/shareware applications and product updates for my purchased software etc.

What I want to know is am I able to set the array up without losing the data which is on the disk?

TIA

Cheers

chiefnz
26-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Well that was relatively painless... just clicked on the "setup RAID" button and boom all sorted.

Took about 20 minutes for the array to be setup. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd 250GB drive so that I can do the same for my OS install... would be great not to have to worry about data loss due to hardware failure. I have the 120's setup in a RAID 1 mirror array so hopefully this will keep my data intact for a longer time.

Anyone else using RAID arrays out there... your thoughts, comments and experiences would be most helpful.

Cheers

CYaBro
26-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I was using a Promise PCI RAID card and two 120GB HDDs in RAID 1 while I was running Windows SBS2003.
I have since changed it to Windows Home Server, which has some fancy built in "software" type RAID (You can tell WHS which files you want to replicate onto the 2nd HDD) and it would not install with the Promise card in the machine.

Sweep
26-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Well as you have done it ( and well done ), I came across this tutorial which appears to be excellent. RAID various types explained in a good format.

HTH.

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

bk T
26-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Well that was relatively painless... just clicked on the "setup RAID" button and boom all sorted.

Cheers

BTW, just for my info, where's the "setup RAID" button? :blush:

chiefnz
26-12-2007, 11:14 PM
There are 3 array types in the top left hand corner. All I did was select the appropriate one and hey presto, PC restarts and performs the required function.

You must have the VIA RAID tool running.. this is the software which came with the card I bought.

Cheers

bk T
26-12-2007, 11:17 PM
It's the software that came with the Card. Thanks, chiefnz.

tweak'e
27-12-2007, 10:28 AM
BTW, just for my info, where's the "setup RAID" button? :blush:
others have it the raid cards bios menu which you can acces as the pc boots.