PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent CD R error.

06-04-2001, 09:19 AM
I have Iomega ZIPCD Internal CDR/RW on a PIII 1Ghz,128 mb ram,16x DVD rom, Easy CD creator 4.03.
The CDR is on the same IDE channel as my DVD.
When writing a cd I shut every thing down apart from Explorer&systray (as per instructions from the place I bought the PC from). This works 8 times out of 10 the time it doesnt work I get the following error :- 'Requested block is not in current track' twice then the error 'TrackWriter Error-Command retry failed' then the cd becomes a coaster. This also happens every time I do a CD to CD copy.
Does any one have an idea as to why this happens?

06-04-2001, 01:24 PM
First up, nice machine :)
I know I had to move my DVD onto a sep cable from the cd writer.
But first, try burning at 12X or less, it is common knowledge that the faster you go the more possibility for an error :)
My suggestion is to get a pci raid card, move the dvdrom to that, leave the writer on its own ide cable.
reason for the raid is that I presume you have a ata100 hdd, if you lumber a dvd/cdrom as slave on the same cable, you will slow down your machine.
The advice you were given about shutting everything down is very very very cautious :) . With those specs, there is no reason why you can't run as normal. Just disable virus checker and anything that may use lots of power thats all :)

06-04-2001, 10:56 PM
sorry but putting a dvd or cd onto a raid card wont work. what deamon means is an ata controller card. the other option is to get an extra hard drive and put both onto a raid card in a raid 0 setup. this will get u a faster hard drive set up as well as leaving the cdwriter and dvd drive on their own onboard ide channels.
depending on the quality of your cd writer there is no reason you cant run other background apps when buring a cd. i run a k6-2 500 and a p2 350 both of which can burn cds, surf the net and play music all at the same time.
one thing to watch out for is somtimes the cd burning software dosnt install properly which causes the odd error.