PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WAG325N

notechyet
23-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi all
Has someone of you tried the new generation Router/modems?
Any better than the previous wag 54gpp2?
Which other ones would be worthwhile looking at? How are the compatibilities with existing wireless cards? Distance range improvement?
Suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thanks
NT

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Well the wireless cards (if you decide to get this router), would have to be Pre-N as well.

Otherwise, they'll only go so far. And still be at 11.b/g speed.

And these things arent exactly cheap.

notechyet
23-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Well the wireless cards (if you decide to get this router), would have to be Pre-N as well.

Otherwise, they'll only go so far. And still be at 11.b/g speed.

And these things arent exactly cheap.

Thanks Speedy
Ok , but, could it be that even with the old cards(and new router) the range could be better?
NT

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2007, 08:02 PM
This router SHOULD still work with older cards.

It may also depend on WHERE (or how far they are, from this router, if you decided to buy it) these other computers are in the house, and whether there's something in between this router and these computers (like a wall).

The Pre-N adapters would probably get a signal through a wall somehow, but older wireless adapters / cards may not.

I guess a good aerial would help too.

Wireless isnt really that slow. All you have to do, is to make sure its secure.

notechyet
23-12-2007, 08:33 PM
This router SHOULD still work with older cards.

It may also depend on WHERE (or how far they are, from this router, if you decided to buy it) these other computers are in the house, and whether there's something in between this router and these computers (like a wall).

The Pre-N adapters would probably get a signal through a wall somehow, but older wireless adapters / cards may not.

I guess a good aerial would help too.

Wireless isnt really that slow. All you have to do, is to make sure its secure.

Speedy, my next neighbour is approx. 300m away and others even further. So security has not been the problem(yet).
The wag54gp2 that I have now is ok. It has to get through wall and floor and I thought a "machine" with biger range would have the better signal and therefore more reliable in strength?!
Somewhere I read that those new ones are supposedly better?

NT