PDA

View Full Version : flashing the BIOS

05-04-2001, 10:32 PM
I'm trying to upgrade my 486/66 and it will only see 503MB of my 2GB drive. I know this is a problem with the bios. I have been trying to get the correct bios update, but with little success. I have an IBM PS/Valuepoint (Originally 33Mhz, but since upgraded to 66). I was wondering if anyone knew which version of the BIOS update I need to get my machine to see all 2GB of the drive.

05-04-2001, 11:05 PM
Hello Gian

An easier solution for you, is to go to your Hard drive manufacturers web site and download their free disk installation software, all manufacturers have this software available for download off their sites.
One of the functions of this software is to trick the bios into loading larger drives than would otherwise be possible, and even better it hand holds you through the entire process.
lastly you do need to read the info file for full explanation.

Regards

Alan

11-04-2001, 08:38 PM
Hi Gian,
Don't know if this is what you are looking for try this link, http://www.ping.be/bios/

Everything you wanted to know about BIOS is here, well almost everything. Please read the FAQ section before attempting to flash the bios, if this goes wrong,it can turn your 486 into an ugly paperweight ; )

17-04-2001, 08:06 PM
Yeah, thanks but that Hard Disk Utitlity did the trick... I downloaded it from IBM.