PDA

View Full Version : This seems too cheap???http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=132101616

frossy13
21-12-2007, 11:35 AM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=132101616

Looking for a Laptop - this looks good but a bit cheap. Any comments please?? Thanks

drcspy
21-12-2007, 11:42 AM
well for a start its NOT 4ghz this person is 'playing dumb' as many do and multiplying a 2ghz core 2 duo by two so that they are saying its 4ghz not 2 cores each running at 2ghz..........

CYaBro
21-12-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=132101616

Looking for a Laptop - this looks good but a bit cheap. Any comments please?? Thanks

Not your listing is it??
Trying to get more bids perhaps?

SolMiester
21-12-2007, 02:43 PM
6 hrs to go, will the public bid more........or will the seller lose out with his clever $1 reserve?!

Chemical Ali
21-12-2007, 03:00 PM
The suspense is killing me ....

neverseo
21-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Not cheap at all!

Nermal
22-12-2007, 08:07 AM
I'd like to ask about this 2 GHz/4 GHz argument. If you think of GHz as cycles per second (for simplicity's sake let's use two 1 Hz CPUs and assume that the system can perform one operation per cycle) then the system as a whole would surely still accomplish two operations per second and therefore be equivalent to 2 Hz (or in the case of that laptop, 4 GHz).

Apologies if that was hard to follow!

fnphoto
22-12-2007, 08:14 AM
I think it's a bit steep...especially with only 2 Mb of RAM!!?? - (obvious typo) lol

I see down further it does say 2Gb but I wish some people would proof their listings first, it saves wasting time & 'being led up the garden path' eh.

pcuser42
22-12-2007, 08:15 AM
It says it only has 2MB RAM, but below he says it has 2GB of RAM. :illogical

EDIT: You beat me to it fnphoto. :D

pctek
22-12-2007, 08:27 AM
If you think of GHz as cycles per second (for simplicity's sake let's use two 1 Hz CPUs and assume that the system can perform one operation per cycle) then the system as a whole would surely still accomplish two operations per second and therefore be equivalent to 2 Hz (or in the case of that laptop, 4 GHz).

Ok lets get technical about it.:D

http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-2/intel-core-2-duo-test.html
IPC and frequency

The CPU performances can be evaluated with the number of instructions processed in one second, in other words the IPS. It is equal to :

ips = i/c x c/s

C corresponds to the number of processor cycles and IPC to the average number of instructions processed per cycles. The cycletime is the number of cycles per second, or in other words the clock frequency, called F.

So:

IPS = IPC x F

Ninjabear
22-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok lets get technical about it.:D

http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-2/intel-core-2-duo-test.html
IPC and frequency

The CPU performances can be evaluated with the number of instructions processed in one second, in other words the IPS. It is equal to :

ips = i/c x c/s

C corresponds to the number of processor cycles and IPC to the average number of instructions processed per cycles. The cycletime is the number of cycles per second, or in other words the clock frequency, called F.

So:

IPS = IPC x F

The explanation seems a bit complicated.lol

Agent_24
22-12-2007, 01:39 PM
No. It's still not 4Ghz.

Pete O'Neil
23-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd like to ask about this 2 GHz/4 GHz argument. If you think of GHz as cycles per second (for simplicity's sake let's use two 1 Hz CPUs and assume that the system can perform one operation per cycle) then the system as a whole would surely still accomplish two operations per second and therefore be equivalent to 2 Hz (or in the case of that laptop, 4 GHz).

Your making the assumption those both cores are being fully utilized all the time. The majority of software can only use one core, more and more games are starting to utilize both core though.

Thebananamonkey
23-12-2007, 07:51 PM
High Speed 56KB modem... Paradox anyone???

robbyp
23-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Well the fact that intel don't advertsie it as a 4GHz basically tells you that it is only 2GHz with 2 cores, otherwise I am sure they would advertise it as 4.

Agent_24
24-12-2007, 10:21 AM
High Speed 56KB modem... Paradox anyone???

Well it's high speed for dialup, and since DSL doesn't use modems but routers..

Isn't it oxymoron?

wratterus
24-12-2007, 10:41 AM
:lol: :lol: at this thread. What a stupid argument! All stemming from someone who obviously doesn't know enough about computers, listing a laptop on TM.

And to answer the original poster's question, the lappy was $1 reserve, it's worth what the market says it's worth.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas!!!