PDA

View Full Version : ADSL router help

frajo
21-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I have a D-LINK ADSL WIRELESS ROUTER DSL-G604T I got from a mate and I can't get into the setup which should be at 10.1.1.1 in a browser, my question is I am still waiting for the internet to be connected so ADSL isn't working but should I still beable to get into the setup as I want to swap files between 2 computers. Or will this all work when the net is connected?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the same router I've got here.

There is nothing in the router to share files.

The only option in the router, is if you want to have a static (which you'll have to have, if u want to use some programs) or a dynamic ip address.

You create a folder and share it on whatever, and enable file sharing to share files.

All you have to do once ADSL is connected is log in and run wizard, and set the username/password, country, VPI,VCI,PPP etc, and whether u want Wireless enabled, or not.

Then save the the settings, then reboot the router. The ISP you're with, should give u this info. (besides the wireless bit)

If any firewalls besides XP's (If you're using XP), are installed these will also have to be configured for file sharing

HOW do you want to connect whatever computers?? With ethernet or wireless??

rumpty
21-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Do you have the Installation Guide for the router? There is some setup required in your network settings.

frajo
21-12-2007, 11:26 AM
cheers speedy
so the only reason it appears not to be working is because the net isn't connected yet. that cool as i was thinking i mite have to go and buy a new one. And will be using mainly wireless when up and running as we have laptops.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Double post

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2007, 11:32 AM
If u cant get into the setup, is the original cable it came with connected (if its still working). This is what SHOULD be connected.

And yup, open network connections / right mouse on your LAN connection / properties / TCP/IP.

Change it to use the following ip, and enter something like:

10.1.1.69, then press tab, 255.0.0.0 should appear alongside subnet, type in 10.1.1.1 for the gateway, and primary DNS.

And the ISP primary DNS server under alternate DNS server.

Altho if you cant get into the router, this shouldnt affect file sharing, just the net.

(Well this depends if youre using wireless or ethernet).