PDA

View Full Version : Webcam with dial up a silly idea?

susann
20-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I am thinking of getting my parents a webcame for Christmas - they have just won a laptop and I think they would enjoy talking to my sister (who lives in Scotland) using a web cam.

The problem is their internet connection - they live out in the countryside and currently have a dial up connection.

Is it a waste of time using a web cam with a dial up connection??

Any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks
Susan

wainuitech
20-12-2007, 04:23 PM
It should work, just expect Lag, and Picture quality may be as good as it could be compared to a high speed.

Pete O'Neil
20-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Waste of time it will be a horrible experience and put them off using technology. Might be a better idea to using voice over Skype.

Renmoo
20-12-2007, 08:08 PM
WELL...

Webcam + Internet telephony = Probably unbearable
Webcam alone = Experience tolerable. Your parents will experience a lag of maybe two or three seconds between frames.
Internet Telephony alone = Works fine on dial-up. At most, the lag is not more than two seconds.

Cheers :)

P.S. Congratulations to your parents for winning a laptop!

Robby
20-12-2007, 08:27 PM
gidday Susan,

Not a silly idea, but unfortunatley it probably wont work that well over dail up, if at all. You really need broadband to get the webcam to work well.

an idea might be to install skype, voice works well over dail up, and if they can get broadband, the web cam will work through skype as well.

good luck,

Robbie

mark c
20-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Thank you for asking the Q Susann. I have thought about webcam myself on dialup and always assumed it'd be just too slow, so the comments of those more familiar with the tech are appreciated. Hey even a shaky jerky image of your nearest and dearest should be nice......m

MMM
21-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm glad this was brought up also as my niece is getting one for her parents.

Can you actually record on CD the pictures that come through on the WebCam and maybe then when you play it back the time lags are not there?

Cheers, Marg:)

pctek
21-12-2007, 09:20 AM
an idea might be to install skype

Skype is a bad idea.

You want free voice calls get them both to join www.jajah.com.

No security issues, no taking over your connection, no headsets.

As for the webcam, whats their line like? Terrible rural connection? Then it wouldn't work very well.

Trev
21-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I have heard Skype on dialup. It was so broken up couldn't understand a single word. Maybe stick to something like MSN Messenger where they can type messages in real time to each other.
:)

kahawai chaser
21-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I use to visit live web cam sites on dial up, which are at least jerky. Maybe ask your parents to visit a live web cam site with their dial up (and maybe someone with broadband for comparison) - then they can evaluate the result...

FoxyMX
21-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I am thinking of getting my parents a webcame for Christmas - they have just won a laptop

Before you go spending on a webcam it might pay to check whether the laptop has one already built in. A number of them do.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I've used a webcam, on dialup and BB.

BOTH can lag.