PDA

View Full Version : Sony MP3 Walkmans

JdwPom
20-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Having purchased one second hand, and receiving no software with it, only the hardware, I'm wondering what it takes to transfer music to one of these bad boys. It's only a cheap model, just a 1Gb, but having transferred a bunch of tracks to it with Winamp, but the tracks aren't showing up on the player (the files are there if I browse through the drive via PC, but not as far as the player's software is concerned.

I'm sick of listening to Sony Bravia ads (the the third one has some nice bass going on in places, which almost makes up for it) and would really like to know how to listen to my PERFECTLY LEGAL (cough cough) music on this player.

Anybody got any experience with these things? Do they have that whole iPod-style 'we shall only use complicated filesystems so you can't use third party software' thing going on, or am I just missing something important?

steveroby
20-12-2007, 02:23 PM
.... iPod-style 'we shall only use complicated filesystems so you can't use third party software' thing going on...

Given Sony's obsession with DRM I wouldnt be surprised.
:thumbs:

Neil McC
20-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I've bought myself one for Christmas.I'm not allowed it till then,but had a quick fiddle before my wife got home.You can see it in Explorer and just drag the music files (MP3's) across to the music folder,as opposed to the video folder,from what I remember.I had to install Media Player 10 to see it though.
So no,you don't need to use any program to load your files,one reason I went for it instead of an iPod.And because it has a radio.
Have a look through the folder structure and check if it has a music folder etc,as I know the one I've got (nearly got) has,so you can then find it on the walkman.

joe_exception
20-12-2007, 04:11 PM
The latest Sony Walkman models are 'drag'n'drop' and will function without software.

Older models (which I assume yours is given it's 2nd hand) require SonicStage software to transfer the files: http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/software/sonicstage/sstage_dl.asp?l=

The transfer process (much like iTunes) doesn't convert the files but just puts a different file 'wrapper' around them to prevent you copying them off onto other computers.