PDA

View Full Version : Brother HL 2040 Laser - toner etc

Digby
20-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys

I bought a Brother HL 2040 laser printer one year ago exactly. I am very pleased with it. Far better than slow inkjet printers and seems much more economical.

The other day the toner out light came up so I bought a new toner cartridge $95.00. By my estimates I have done about 3,000 pages of average coverage and quite a few full page reports.

I put the new toner cartridge in and it works well. But the old toner cartridge seems quite heavy still. So I wonder if it still has useable toner in it. I heard years ago that you could shake toner cartridge for copiers and get more printing out of them.

What I want to know if has anyone had a similar experience and is it OK to swap toner cartridges without upsetting any internal counters etc. I don't want to throw my old cartridge away unless I am sure it is empty.

Kind Regards

Digby

wainuitech
20-12-2007, 11:17 AM
If you have done 3000 pages with lots of content, you're doing well.

From Brothers Site
This toner cartridge yields approximately 2,500 pages when printing at 5% coverage on A4/Letter sized paper.

yes you generally can shake the cartridge and get a few more copies, but not a lot. One way to tell if the toner is running low, is completely oppersite to how you would think - when toner is almost out it drops "smudge" marks on the paper, usually with ink, if its low it gets lighter and lighter, toner does the oppersite it make the print look :yuck:.

Dont have a Brother 2040 available to check, but look through the print settings / properties, and someplace should be a indicator as to how much toner is actually left.

My Lexmark flashed up a low toner warning about 3 weeks ago - I looked at the level and it still had 20% left, still going strong ;)

pctek
20-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Its probably the same as with ink - they report its empty when it isn't.
Rip-off printer companies...............

mzee
21-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I have one of these excellent printers. The man at Cartridge World told me that the Drum is only half filled in the new printer. He said the drum was the same as the Full one so he could re-use it when the time comes & would be a lot cheaper.
So far its OK.

paulw
21-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I have Brother printers and when the toner low comes on I still use them until they are completely empty. Usually about 2~3 months later unlike the Xerox at work that stops printing the instance it says toner low and cost $300 / toner cart..

Digby
07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I think you have to be a bit careful using toner cartidges too long.

I used to sell photo copiers and our techs said that if the machine did actually run out of toner it would start to use the developer to keep printing, which put the developer (a magnetic powder) out of balance.

I don't know where the developer is kept in my Brother ie is it in the toner cartridge or in the drum unit ?

Cicero
07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I simply bought a new one for $129.

Digby
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I simply bought a new one for $129.

That actually is a good idea !

I have thought about it twice now !

Why buy a toner cart when for about the same price you get a new machine with toner and drum and nice and new.

(but its not very green is it ?)

I wonder what the pricing is like in Japan new machine versus toner cart

robsonde
07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I put the new toner cartridge in and it works well. But the old toner cartridge seems quite heavy still. So I wonder if it still has useable toner in it.

yes you will have some junk toner in the pack, what is still in the pack is often clumps of toner that the toner pickup cant use.

just let it go.

feersumendjinn
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Take the old cartridge to Cartridge World and get them to refill it, about $65-70.

Cicero
07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Take the old cartridge to Cartridge World and get them to refill it, about $65-70.
As these cheepo lasers are not designed to last for long,I suspct a new one is in order.

But then again, to each his own.

easyserve
08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
One of our sister companies printerfuel sells brand new compatible toners for this machine. In some cases they're a little more than a refill, but the carts are brand new and you don't need to leave your house to get them.

[You have been warned before about blatant advertising for a company, this will be your last warning. Links removed by Mod]

paulw
08-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I have had a few bad experiences with refilled laser toner carts over the past 10 years so steer clear of them. My experience with inkjet refills has not be too great either..

Digby
08-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I have had a few bad experiences with refilled laser toner carts over the past 10 years so steer clear of them. My experience with inkjet refills has not be too great either..

Paulw - easy serve said they are brand new (compatible) cartridges - not refills !

And I have had no problems at all over the last four or five years using refilled ink cartridges. And I do a lot of printing. (if you want to play the printer companies game and make them rich that's up to you.

Cicero
08-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Paulw - easy serve said they are brand new (compatible) cartridges - not refills !

And I have had no problems at all over the last four or five years using refilled ink cartridges. And I do a lot of printing. (if you want to play the printer companies game and make them rich that's up to you.
We also get the pleasure of a new toy.