PDA

View Full Version : Very Wierd Problem with 8600GT with Vista & 8600GTS card

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Hi All

Hopefully someone can help me with this bloody annoying problem.

Currently I am running:

Core Duo 2
Vista Home Premium
SATA2 Hard Drive (Boot Drive)
3GB RAM
Creative Audigy Pro Soundcard
Viewsonic VX2835wm

I've just upgraded my video card from a 7600GT (which ran perfectly under both XP Pro & Vista) to a 8600GTS (PciE) and I cant get the new card to run properly.
What I've got happening is that the outer 5cm perimeter of the desktop all the way around is not showing on the screen! My O/S and Nvidia Control Panel are both reporting that the screen resolution is correctly set to my monitor's native resolution (1920 x 1200).
I have done the following to try and fix the problem:
1: Sworn (alot!)
2: Uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers
3: Uninstalled the card from the system (via Device manager)
4: Physically removed the card from the motherboard and restarted PC with onboard graphics
5: Downloaded and used the latest Nvidia drivers from their website
6: Sworn again!
7: Shut the PC back down and reinserted the video card
8: Tried Windows Update for better drivers (plainly I was getting desperate for a solution at this point)
9: Changed video configuration setting in BIOS from Auto to External PciE

NOTHING has worked - with the Nvidia drivers loaded and correctly reporting my PciE card model in device manager I cannot see the outer 5cm margin of my desktop on all 4 sides! I'm annoyed that I've just changed (by way of a complete reformat and reinstall) my system 2 days ago from a dual boot XP Pro/Vista Home Premium to just Vista Home premium cause I rather suspect that all would be okay under XP Pro!
I just can't think of what else to do to try and correct the situation!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Just to add to my initial post I've got an Antec 500W PSU in my PC so dont think that the problem that I'm experiencing is due to a lack of 'juice'.

wratterus
20-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Paul,

Are you able to try the card in another PC?

What refresh rate are you running the monitor at?

I'd be leaning toward a faulty card after what you've done to attempt to rectify the problem.

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults too.

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 09:11 AM
No I cant get an opportunity to test it in another PC (which is a shame).
Have put BIOS back to default for video configuration as well -- it's really bugging me as I just have to know what's causing it and/or how to solve it.
My excellent/fantastic supplier (Ascent Technology) is sending me a replacement today (that will hopefully arrive tomorrow) so it'll be real interesting to see how things go with that.

kennie
20-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Well, after that then you can check your refresh rate and also try the auto adjust button on your LCD screen if thats what you have

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Already done both of those without any joy ...

the_bogan
20-12-2007, 10:54 AM
On your monitor, is there an "auto adjust" button?

I'm only saying this because my monitor at home is also a tv, and occasionally, I have to hit auto adjust to see everything. (Although I have the opposite problem to you, my images go outside the monitor screen)

Thebananamonkey
20-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Did you uninstall the old card from device manager? I had problems with ethernet cards recently because I hadn't uninstalled old ones... all sorts of confusing conflicts until I uninstalled everything.

pctek
20-12-2007, 11:17 AM
- with the Nvidia drivers loaded and correctly reporting my PciE card model in device manager I cannot see the outer 5cm margin of my desktop
Any suggestions?

Doesn't your sig answer your question?

Wait for an improved driver.

I notice Nvidia are getting more specific with them, rather than 1 driver for all 8xxx series, you have to choose the exact type....

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Nice suggestion PC Tek

I did download the specific driver for the 8600 series model and to BananaMonkey, I also correctly uninstalled the previous video card and it's associated software/drivers.

I assemble PCs part-time so am reasonably familiar with what I should be doing (though I would defer to the superior knowledge and experience of the likes of PC Tek & WainuiTech for example).

I've never come across this sort of thing before -- the O/S says all is okay with screen resolution -- the monitor seems to think that all is okay as I cant "force" an auto-adjust so I'm just absolutley flummoxed eh ...

Very tempted to reformat now and reinstall XP Pro to see what happens there but as Ascent are sending me a new card tomorrow I'll wait and try that first.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming ...

Regards

Paul

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 02:28 PM
** Bump **

Chemical Ali
20-12-2007, 11:11 PM
** Bumpety Bump Bump **

pctek
21-12-2007, 09:21 AM
So...............have they released another driver yet? No?

Chemical Ali
21-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Am using the most up-to-date driver -- tried my old 7600GT card back in the system and it worked fine (but posting it off to it's new owner today) so definitely suspect that something is amiss with this 8600GTS card -- the replacement from Ascent should arrive today so really looking forward to that as it will be highly enlightening to see what happens then.

Chemical Ali
21-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Well the replacement 8600GTS card arrived today and I promptly inserted it into the system and reinstalled the drivers but alas the same problem still exists!!
So convinced that it was a Vista-related issue I grumpily shrugged my shoulders and decided to reformat & reinstall XP!

Unbelievably the exact same problem is occurring in XP Pro as well! So am now assuming that there's some sort of incompatibility issue between my monitor and this video card model??

Help me please!!!!

Chemical Ali
22-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Bump

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Look at the release notes for the version of the drivers you downloaded.

And see if whatever prob you're having is a known issue, or if its going to be fixed.

Or post something in the Nvidia forum.

I think a new ver came out the other day 176.25 or something.

Chemical Ali
31-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I ordered an 8800GT card and managed to install that with the latest Nvidia drivers without a hitch -- a most bizarre situation. Probably a blessing in disguise in the end (despite the several wasted hours) as the newly released 8800GT looks like a better bet in terms of performance etc than the 8600GTS. It only cost me an extra $60 too so alls well that ends well I suppose.
Just cant figure out why those 8600GTS cards wouldn't work...

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Unbelievably the exact same problem is occurring in XP Pro as well! So am now assuming that there's some sort of incompatibility issue between my monitor and this video card model?? Have you tried a different Monitor?

I have had several times similar sort of things, some customers PC's wont work on my Samsung 17" CRT, put the same PC onto the Workstation with a 17" AOC CRT and it works fine.

Chemical Ali
31-12-2007, 04:41 PM
No I didn't WainuiTech.

I would've liked to have done that just to check but didn't have the opportunity.
I suspect it was some sort of incompatibility issue between that particular video card model and my particular monitor given it occurred under both XP & Vista and that I could get an 8800GT card to work but I'll never know for sure now. There was also no hint of such an incompatibility issue on the Internet either.