PDA

View Full Version : Password protect Internet Explorer

Aporosa
19-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi, friends have asked if I can go around and password protect their Internet Explorer programme (Internet Explorer only, and not their e-mail) so the kids can send e-mails, but not access the internet without permission. They are running Vista. (I am not familiar with Vista as I'm still on XP). Is there something in Vista to to this, or is there a simple freeware programme I can download? Your assistance is appreciated. Cheers, A

wainuitech
19-12-2007, 09:32 AM
IE 7 Has this feature built in - just a warning - it CAn be a pain in the you know where, as it will prompt the user for a password for every site you go to - set this up for several parents and with in 3 days been asked to remove it.

Heres How - Open IE7 --- Tools>Internet Options>content tab>Content Advisor>Setting Button> In the Ratings Tab- Scroll down to "user Generated content" > Click OK - you may be then presented with a password box, enter a password. Click on the Enable Button Click OK. Close IE, next time you open IE you will get a prompt Like This (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Password.JPG) make sure you remember the password other wise IE will not allow any changes.

Thebananamonkey
19-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Why not just tell them to set up a new account with Wainuis password protected IE? And with the same e-mail setup. Easy.

gary67
19-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Good idea give kids a limited access username account and then change the parents password

kahawai chaser
19-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I once set a password for IE then forgot it, but used a registry hack to reset it...

berryb
20-12-2007, 03:48 PM
You could change the proxy setting in IE to some random port like 4444. Use something like ProxyPal to switch between the proxy being enabled or disabled. This will mean when the proxy is enabled no internet & when disabled with internet. Depending on how old and smart the kids are they may soon work it out but I use this method for laptops that roam from work to home where home doesn't have a proxy server. ProxyPal works on XP, haven't tried with Vista yet though.

Best option is to give the kids there own user account and if you don't want them having any internet access just enter a proxy port as above - no internet.