PDA

View Full Version : Create a Wireless Access Point on XP?

Vicx
18-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I've got a usb wifi adapter and I just want to create an access point. All it seems to want to do is search for networks to connect to, but I just want it to be an access point

wainuitech
18-12-2007, 05:54 PM
An Access point has to be able to transmit, if this USB adaptor is simply a standard USB adaptor then its doing what its designed to do
All it seems to want to do is search for networks to connect to

plod
18-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure if you set up internet sharing you should be able to share your connection through the usb dongle. this shouldn't be a problem as long as your not using the dongle to access the internet

Pete O'Neil
18-12-2007, 07:10 PM
You can setup certain wifi cards to run as AP but its dependent on the chipset and the feature is provided by the manufacturers software. Have a look on the CD that was supplied with the adapter if its not on the disk then chances are the adapter cant run in AP mode.

Failing that theres always ad-hoc mode, easy enough to setup Google is your friend. Only downside is that with a lot of PC its will effect performance.

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Some wireless adapters DO act as AP's as well tho.

I've got 2 here.

The drivers for these things, also act as the config.

Which let you configure them as a station or an AP.

Good thing I managed to get the drivers for these, soon after the company was brought by someone else.

I found out who the new co was. And they tried to deny that they had ever dealt with this adapter lol. Yeah right.

1/2 of Google was covered in their "purchase"

AFAIK you cant use ICS, as these adapters arent actually "modems"

You're not actually creating a dialup connection / or any connection for them.

You would still need an AP.

Vicx
18-12-2007, 09:00 PM
It's made for sharing internet connections to gaming devices and PDAs, so it should be able to create and access point, my question is how?

this is what I see..

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/206/wifiwz2.jpg