PDA

View Full Version : My New Lenovo Computer.

darroll
18-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I was running XP over a dial-up. With the antivirus protection it made it so slow that I could not even e-mail a photo in the JPEG format without turning off virus scan. I decided that I could fire Norton and run Vista (with the patches) without their anti-virus software..
This happened In about April of this year. I read that the best way to get a Vista machine was to buy one already put together due to drivers, etc. (I usually build my own) I bought a Lenovo 3000 J for $500.00us. When I went to pay for it the price was $800.00. They explained to me that I had to apply for the rebates.
Since time was running out and they were connecting me to broadband (they have virus blockers) I needed a computer. I took my new computer home and fired it up. The mouse did not work. I took it apart and snapped in the connecter inside and it worked.
Some gal’s (friend) computer sent me hundreds of e-mails that were laced with viruses. One got thru and knocked me down. Since I already did a full system backup, I tried to do a restore to no avail. It told me I needed the Original Vista disk, I got no DVD with this machine. I went out and bought Vista’s full version and put in the DVD. It said that the data was corrupt. I formatted the HD, reloaded and it crashed. I pushed F12 and looked at the CMOS. This was corrupt. I then did a CLR-CMOS and it was still corrupt.. Saying good bye to the warranty ( I do not want my PC on some truck and waiting for R&R for weeks), I installed a new mother board. Then It loaded fine and I surfed the NET.. I tried to load MS Office to no avail. I called MS and they were VERY helpful. They told me that my office DVD was bad. I exchanged my Office 2007 DVD and got the same thing. It said that my version was an Upgrade version, which it was not. After three weeks of fighting this, with about 10 reloads, I took it to a heavy weight. He replaced my DVD drive. Now everything works…. But…
My Lenovo monitor TFT, L-192,6920-AB1 while initializing displayed in Chinese. I went in and changed it to English. My question is how do I now take out the ‘Menu is locked” display when I try and adjust my monitor? Thanks, darroll OH I Love Vista and since it is 32 bit, it's fast.

pctek
18-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Thats crazy.
Nortons is a resource hog for starters. Instead of ditching it for an unprotected Vista you should have got a different AV and a faster internet connection instead.

Vista with or without patches is not a magic cure for malware. Any MS operating system without 3rd party antivirus and anti-spyware is madness.

I've cleaned out tons of Vista PCs - so much for its firewall and Defender. They're hopeless. As usual.

What connector for the mouse did you "snap in"? Mice are either PS2 or USB, both of which are part of the motherboard, not some add-on part.

And if you had so many problems, buying another motherboard was carzy - the original one is still under warranty - you should have taken the PC back for repair.

And the best way to buy any PC - Vista or otherwise - is from a reputable computer shop that builds them themselves. Then you wouldn't have weeks of waiting. You would also have gotten decent hardware in the first place.

Trev
18-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Why do people say Nortons AV is a resource hog. Explain to me. I run Nortons AV 2008 even have it going running games with no problems.
:)

bevy121
18-12-2007, 03:08 PM
What a sequence of events!
Not related to "Mr Bean" are you?

wratterus
18-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Why do people say Nortons AV is a resource hog. Explain to me. I run Nortons AV 2008 even have it going running games with no problems.

Because it is.

You obviously are a freak of nature, as is your PC.

:p :lol:

For some amazing reason, all the software and hardware you have installed works ok with Nortons, a one in a thousand chance.

I have to admit that NAV2008 isn't nearly as bad as most of it's predecessors, but it's far heavier than a lot of stuff thats out there.

And it's just ****. It takes over your PC. Why anyone would run it when they had a choice is completley beyone me, I cannot comprehend that.

But each to their own. If it works for you, well and good. :)

Bantu
18-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Best way to make your PC run sweeter is uninstall anything Norton. Their products are crap and seem to get worse every year.

Norton Ghost used to be a great program when it was a New Zealand program called Ghost, then Norton got hold of it.

Their AV's for the past few years have been problematic and resource hogs, I used to sell them here but not for the past few years.

wainuitech
18-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Nortons removal aside- to actually answer your question
My question is how do I now take out the ‘Menu is locked” display when I try and adjust my monitor? I assume going by your Location in the profile you are in the USA - call the Technical Support Help line and ask them -

The number from the manual says its 1-800-426-7378.

I've looked through the manual and theres nothing saying anything about the message.

Trev
18-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Because it is.

You obviously are a freak of nature, as is your PC.

:p :lol:

For some amazing reason, all the software and hardware you have installed works ok with Nortons, a one in a thousand chance.

I have to admit that NAV2008 isn't nearly as bad as most of it's predecessors, but it's far heavier than a lot of stuff thats out there.

And it's just ****. It takes over your PC. Why anyone would run it when they had a choice is completley beyone me, I cannot comprehend that.

But each to their own. If it works for you, well and good. :)

Show me why it is a resource hog. I use to run Nortons Av 2005 with no problems.

wratterus
18-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Show me why it is a resource hog. I use to run Nortons Av 2005 with no problems.

Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/bootdelay.png)

Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/fileiodelay.png)

and

Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/results_graph.JPG)

wainuitech
18-12-2007, 05:41 PM
How in the hell did this poor guys question regarding a Monitor

My question is how do I now take out the ‘Menu is locked” display when I try and adjust my monitor? Thanks, darroll

Get onto a Norton Debate - ????

darroll
18-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Thats crazy.

What connector for the mouse did you "snap in"? Mice are either PS2 or USB, both of which are part of the motherboard, not some add-on part.

And if you had so many problems, buying another motherboard was carzy - the original one is still under warranty - you should have taken the PC back for repair.

I don't know Mr. Bean.
Inside the mouse there was a small board with a plug-in. This was not plugged all the way in.
One of my loads flunked the mouse. It had a pict of the mouse with a red "X' thru it om my task bar. I went and bought a MS mouse.
I felt I could not wait as the broadband people were coming to install
their equpt. I did not want to welcome them with NO PC.
d- USA

wratterus
18-12-2007, 06:34 PM
How in the hell did this poor guys question regarding a Monitor

Get onto a Norton Debate - ????

Sorry boss! :xmouth:

:lol: :lol:

I blame pctek for starting it. :o

Trev
18-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/bootdelay.png)

Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/fileiodelay.png)

and

Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/results_graph.JPG)

What about personal experience. Have you run Nortons Av on your computer.

wratterus
18-12-2007, 06:49 PM

Ahh dammit. Sorry OP!

I never have on my own PC, I wouldn't make it suffer so, but as a PC tech, I can assure you I have seen hundreds of PCs with nortons installed on them, and many of those have been ground to their knees, or various bits of nortons had broken and was causing problems.

Often I find virus infected PCs, with nortons all installed and updated. Nortons thought all was a OK, no way. Remove nortons, install Nod32 and whammo, 7 different viruses are pulled off and cleaned, and the PC can get back on the net again, because the norton firewall stuffed up and blocked everything.

One example, this kind of thing happens all the time. It is defective software.

Another time after a customer uninstalled nortons, the office virus scan plugin for some reason wasn't removed properly, and no office program or document could be opened.

Even nortons own norton removal tool doesn't work properly sometimes!!

I hates it! I hates the precious! It causes me pain and suffering! Ohh the suffering...

wainuitech
18-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Okay on the band wagon - :D Ditto to above - like wise every thing Wratterus said I agree with. I used to run Nortons for years until it started slowing down my PC's. Once it corrupted, it was due to expire in two weeks time, and I wanted to try the Nod32 ( going back a few years now) Norton at the time had done a scheduled scan on friday night - said it was clean. after scanning I turned off the PC.
Started it the next morning, Norton went belly up. I uninstalled, it, put in Nod32 ( unupdated) and instantly, as loading detected 6 viruses - on a full scan deteced two more.

Never gone back since - dont need to as above I see the results every week. One thing I do find Nortons doesn't hog power as much if the PC has plenty of "grunt".

linw
18-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh, go on then! I have removed it from a few machines and in every case the machine jumped back into life.

FoxyMX
18-12-2007, 08:25 PM

For goodness sake, take your Norton's argument out of this thread. Someone needs help and some people are trying to give help and it's darn annoying trying to wade through all your waffle. Go start your own thread. :annoyed:

Trev
18-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Don't care what any of you guys say it still works fine for me. I have had Trent Micros AV on my computer and it completely stuffed it up. Use to use AVG freeware got rid of that as it gave to many false errors.

wratterus
18-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I genuinely feel sorry for you
Trev. :)

Trev
18-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Good on you mate I don't. I feel sorry for you guys who can't run it. Don't know why you feel sorry for me when I can run it fine.

pctek
19-12-2007, 09:39 AM

I used it years ago in the late '80s.
Now, yes, I have removed it from slow PCs and both me and the owners have noticed a significant speed increase.

Proof enough for you?

Aside from that, it has some bad habits which you have been lucky enough not to have had happen to you.

Doesn't mean you have to go with free AV, theres plenty of other decent pay ones if you feel the need.

Agent_24
19-12-2007, 10:53 AM
And that's why you don't buy brand name PCs...

I fail to see why the broadband installation guys need you to have a PC there to install broadband, which has nothing to do with your computer and only your phone line.

And if you can build computers like you say you can, then no doubt you can plug in a router and set it up after they've setup your line and everything else.

As for your problem with the monitor, I know that you can lock the menu on a philips by holding down the 'OK' button for about 20 seconds. unlocking it is done the same way. No doubt something similar was done with your monitor, but the procedure for unlock may be different

try IBM/Lenovo website or email them and find out.

Otherwise you could try standard reset methods, like hold down menu/ok button while powering monitor on, etc

darroll
19-12-2007, 11:49 AM
And that's why you don't buy brand name PCs...

I fail to see why the broadband installation guys need you to have a PC there to install broadband, which has nothing to do with your computer and only your phone line.

And if you can build computers like you say you can, then no doubt you can plug in a router and set it up after they've setup your line and everything else.

As for your problem with the monitor, I know that you can lock the menu on a philips by holding down the 'OK' button for about 20 seconds. unlocking it is done the same way. No doubt something similar was done with your monitor, but the procedure for unlock may be different

try IBM/Lenovo website or email them and find out.

Otherwise you could try standard reset methods, like hold down menu/ok button while powering monitor on, etc
The phone company must think that I'm a old retired boob. They wanted to verify that everything works before they leave.
I will get on the Lenovo web site and also drop them a E-Mail if needed..
What did this cost me? MB $61.00 (gigabyte S-Series), Vista over $200.00, Getting ticked and taking this thing to a expert over $200.00 the DVD drive was part of this. MS mouse $20.00. All the time it took me to modify the led wiring and the front of case USB MB pigtail connecter. Don't tell my wife. d
Thanks, darroll