PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Problem or What?

Norseguy
17-12-2007, 09:27 PM
So I bought all of the parts to build a new pc, consists of:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor.
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply.
EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard.
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (four sticks totaling 4g ram).
EVGA 256-P2-N625-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card.

This is the first computer I've put together.

I've a fair amount of knowledge, enough to set up this pc, at least so I thought.

I've it all in my case, power to the processor, power to motherboard, hardrive connected, cd rom drive connected, graphics card connected. Power and data cables to everything.

Came down to the headers, I've power switch connected, I've reset switch connected. The HDD Led is connected, but the Pwr Led is not connected because it is three pronged or so. I didn't think that mattered to start the computer up anyway.

So I'm confused here, and asking for some help please, as to why my system won't boot up, it starts up for one second then shuts down.

I found out my problem was the screw risers, I had way too many put on and it was touching the motherboard, which explains why it came on and shut off like a second later.

Now I have the right screw risers connected correctly and only using which ones I need, it comes on, fans all spinning and on the led error it just says -- which means I'ts not passing POST according to a EVGA customer support member, but I've connected a video card and seem to be getting no connection through my monitor the screen remains blank/black.

HDD is not connected as it is not needed, nor is the floppy or cd rom drive.

I shipped my motherboard back to where I bought it from because I believed the motherboard was the source of the problem, later they emailed me back after they recieved it saying there was not a problem with the motherboard that would stop it from working.

They also said upon recieving the motherboard I could send it back and recieve a replacment board if I still couldn't get it to work.

A friend said I should try to get a replacement board through EVGA and I would get better service out of them.

I'm not exactly sure what I should do, anyone know what could be the problem, and/or what I should do to go about getting this problem fixed?

Thanks.

wainuitech
17-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I found out my problem was the screw risers, I had way too many put on and it was touching the motherboard, which explains why it came on and shut off like a second later.

This would more than likely short the board which would damage it.

Whats sounds strange is the comment
They also said upon recieving the motherboard I could send it back and recieve a replacment board if I still couldn't get it to work.
Was it actually tested correctly - if it was then thats a strange comment to make ? To me it sounds like it may not have been tested ?

if they are will to send yo a replacement I'd suggest you take them up on their offer - a board thats been shorted by incorrect placement of risers is suspect.

HDD is not connected as it is not needed, nor is the floppy or cd rom drive. While these are not needed to get into the BIOS, they are required - this may also be causing some of your your problems as the POST looks for these items - the HD at least. Even if it got past POST - it would simply halt - no HD to boot from.
Just how were you intending on running an OS with out these ?
Being in to much of a hurry to boot it up with out being complete can cause all sorts of problems.

Norseguy
17-12-2007, 10:05 PM
It seems I have an 800 Fsb cpu and a motherboard requiring 1066 Fsb is this the cause of my problem?

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2007, 10:06 PM
You maybe right, as one site says its 1066/1333 fsb.

Nothing about supporting 800 fsb CPU's.

Norseguy
17-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Well you can do lots of things without a HD, I can't get it to post... thats the first issue.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Well, if it doesnt support 800 fsb cpus it wont post either.

Sabir
18-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Well ask here. Thats what its for.

Jan Birkeland
18-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Sabir, ask in the thread, no need to use PM's to gain information.

Don't expect any Private messages. Also, your signature looks suspiciously like spam and will be removed.

Agent_24
18-12-2007, 08:20 AM
While these are not needed to get into the BIOS, they are required - this may also be causing some of your your problems as the POST looks for these items - the HD at least. Even if it got past POST - it would simply halt - no HD to boot from.

Every board i've seen, provided it's working and you give it power, ram, cpu and video, it will POST - but likely complain about the keyboard.

EVGA's website is useless, they don't have a CPU support list for their boards, but they do say this:

Question / Issue

When I boot my 680i motherboard I get no video and the LED reads two dashes (--). What does this mean?

Answer / Solution

When you get two dashes it means the motherboard is not starting the POST cycle. This can be caused by either a power, grounding, or a defective board. Make sure you have both the 24 pin ATX power and 8 pin power connected. Try booting the board outside of the case in a minimal configuration on a bench or desk to make sure it is not a grounding issue. If you still get two dashes most likely the board is defective and needs to be replaced.

(Or, perhaps incompatible CPU - but they won't tell us that...)

Just to add, if you want to get your 3 pin power LED working on the 2 pin header, do this: http://www.antec.com/specs/rewire.html

wainuitech
18-12-2007, 08:51 AM
EVGA's website is useless, they don't have a CPU support list for their boards

Couldn't agree more, what a useless manufacture, I spent over an hour looking on the site and many other places and the closest I managed to find was in the manual, Page 58
Intel Core 2 Extreme, Intel Core 2 Quad, Intel Core 2 Duo, Pentium EE,and Pentium. It says it supports pentium, which are generally either 533 or 800 FSB.

Agent_24
18-12-2007, 08:53 AM
RAM support says DDR2-533 to 1200, maybe when they say FSB 1333 they mean as a maximum? would be pretty stupid if it didn't support the CPU Norseguy chose

wainuitech
18-12-2007, 08:58 AM
RAM support says DDR2-533 to 1200, maybe when they say FSB 1333 they mean as a maximum? would be pretty stupid if it didn't support the CPU Norseguy chose

Agree -:thumbs:

Is it just me or did what Norseguy wrote sound " Not Right" - I think you know what I Mean ?

Agent_24
18-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Is it just me or did what Norseguy wrote sound " Not Right" - I think you know what I Mean ?

Yeah that does seem a bit strange. How do you send a board for replacement that you already sent them?

Maybe they sent it back first..?

Norseguy
18-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes that is correct, I'm supposed to recieve the board back in the next few days.

Agent_24
18-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Yes that is correct, I'm supposed to recieve the board back in the next few days.

would that be the same one or a new one?

Pete O'Neil
18-12-2007, 01:14 PM
The EVGA 680i boards are just reference nvidia boards it will support your CPU fine thats not the problem. As WT said early you've likely damaged the motherboard from shorting it with the risers.

Agent_24
18-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Then why did they say it was fine when he sent it back, if it had been damaged? weird.

Pete O'Neil
18-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Then why did they say it was fine when he sent it back, if it had been damaged? weird.
It might not be damaged, could potentially be a completely different problem. Was just saying its not a CPU compatibility issue.

Norseguy
18-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah they're shipping the board back to me on the 19th, and they said in the email "Upon recieving the item and you can not make the item work please contact us via our web page and we will send you a replacement board."

Norseguy
19-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Anyone have any idea where the problem is likely to be comign from? As in could it be the video card, or cpu?

bk T
19-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Is there a Diagnostic Utility for Motherboards? I know there are utilities for testing RAM and Harddisks. When Motherboards are concerned, is 'trial and error' the only way to diagnose its integrity? Replacing a MB is not a simple job like changing a RAM stick or a HDD; how do you professional computer techs go about?

Norseguy
19-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I'm most likely going to have to go through the process of elimination to figure out what the problem is, and currently I don't have any extra parts that would work with this setup.

Agent_24
19-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Anyone have any idea where the problem is likely to be comign from? As in could it be the video card, or cpu?

Well the CPU isn't incompatible, maybe it's faulty? If the extra motherboard mounts were shorting out the CPU socket perhaps it killed the CPU?

Same could be said for the video card.

a fried CPU is more likely to stop the whole system, whereas a dead video card should allow the computer to start, but generate an error, although this is not a guarantee.

Test your CPU and then video, maybe RAM too in a different computer, see what happens there, make sure they all work fine

Did you connect all the correct power connectors to all the right places, extra 12v for CPU, extra power for video, + anything else it needs? not connecting these is a good way to stop an otherwise working computer from, well, working.

Agent_24
19-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Is there a Diagnostic Utility for Motherboards? I know there are utilities for testing RAM and Harddisks. When Motherboards are concerned, is 'trial and error' the only way to diagnose its integrity? Replacing a MB is not a simple job like changing a RAM stick or a HDD; how do you professional computer techs go about?

Well this one has a diagnostic utility inbuilt - the LED Post code display. You can also get plug-in PCI cards with this LED display on them, but I'm not sure how good they are (I bought a cheap one for a joke, it's pretty sad, there are probably much better ones available)

Thebananamonkey
19-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Have you taken out all non essential components? Graphics cards, sound cards etc? take them out entirely, or you could disable them in BIOS, just to make sure it's not them, and then test your RAM in another comp as it says above.

If I were you I'd just take the free board and start again from there. Save yourself the stress. But it's really up to you.

Norseguy
19-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I'm going to get the board and try it again.. and if it still doesn't work I'm sending it back for another one.

Norseguy
28-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I didn't send it back, instead I had a few technicians test out the parts with diagnostic machines, and all of the parts seemed fine according to them as well. Someone said that the bios is looking for a pci video card and because I have a pcie one it's causing conflict.

What could be the issue if all of the parts are working? and I'm still seeing this - - on the error led which as evga customer support told me that means the motherboard isn't passing post.

So I'm not sure if I should be replacing some parts or not, and it makes it difficult when I don't know what works and technians are telling me my parts are fine.

Norseguy
28-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I've also been told I need to have an operating system installed, when I put an os cd in nothing came up and the screen remained blank however. Other people who're not technicians but have put together computers time and time again have said that sounds strange that you'd need an os on your hardrive before you could get a signal through your monitor detecting the video card.

Agent_24
28-12-2007, 06:52 PM
You do not need anything other than Motherboard, PSU, Video card, RAM and CPU, to get a basic idea of the setup working.

When those 5 are working you would get a display and a 'No keyboard' and/or other errors on screen.

Those are the 5 required items for a computer to start and pass the Power On Self Test (POST), which is hardware only and has nothing to do with your OS. You need POST to pass before you can even think about installing an OS, so that's not the problem.

If all your parts are tested to work fine (and the techs should be right) then I would think incompatibility (somehow).

has everything been tested? even PSU? even anything that's plugged in? (eg: a badly faulty mouse could even screw the whole thing up)

Norseguy
28-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah and all of the parts are compatiable too according to the diagnostic test done by multiple technicians.

But all I ever get is this blank screen.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah and all of the parts are compatiable too according to the diagnostic test.

If all parts are compatable, and every thing is working OK , then it SHOULD go, but something obviously is not right.

I'd suggest you bundle every thing up, take it to a computer Technician, who does this for a living, not someone who "thinks they know what they are doing" and explain whats happening and ask them to locate the problem.

Norseguy
28-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Technicians usually run through the process of elimination correct? As in they test each part out in a working computer to narrow down the problem. So far all I've had done was have a diagnostic machine connected.

wainuitech
28-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Technicians usually run through the process of elimination correct? As in they test each part out in a working computer to narrow down the problem. So far all I've had done was have a diagnostic machine connected.
Yep you are correct in what you say, BUT theres a differance, Technicians Like myself and many others here can suggest things, ( which has been done) BUT while testing parts Individually in Test rigs may show as the parts working correctly, some times when the parts are all put together a problem occurs, and thats where knowledge /experiance that is very hard to write down comes in to play.

Usually Techs have other testing equipment that is available to find out whats wrong.

You may find the Graphic card, while working OK in a test rig wont work on your board - change the card to another one - see if that works. Most Techs will have "known good components" to use. You can do the same if you want to purchase two/three of every thing untill the problem is fixed - expensive way to do it though.

Another example - in my post # 2 I think it was - I suggested the board may have shorted due to wrong location of the risers.

BUT when all your components are tested Individually - they work fine, put together - they wont, could be a part of the PCIE slot that matches a certain spot on the Graphic card causes a failure, or any number of reasons.
Actually having components in front of you is a LOT easier to fault find than asking on a forum.

Sweep
28-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Have you taken out all non essential components? Graphics cards, sound cards etc? take them out entirely, or you could disable them in BIOS, just to make sure it's not them, and then test your RAM in another comp as it says above.

If I were you I'd just take the free board and start again from there. Save yourself the stress. But it's really up to you.

How do you remove on board video display?
It appears to me that the motherboard may have a fault.

Agent_24
29-12-2007, 06:06 AM
That board doesn't have onboard video, and apparently it's not faulty either.

Have you tried a PCI video card, just *incase*?

Norseguy
29-12-2007, 08:12 AM
That's the problem I don't have a pci video card.

wainuitech
29-12-2007, 09:48 AM
If the board is working correctly, it should automatically detect the PCIE graphic Card, but because the board has also been shorted due to incorrect placement of risers it may have shorted out the PCIE Slot and that why its looking for the PCI . As I posted above
BUT when all your components are tested Individually - they work fine, put together - they wont, could be a part of the PCIE slot that matches a certain spot on the Graphic card causes a failure, or any number of reasons.

Norseguy
31-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Well I tried a diagnostic tool today and got an FF error which means:

Cause: CPU

BIOS POST message: Check the functionality of the CPU.

Solution:

1. Check power connector and make sure it is fully seated to the motherboard power socket. If you have a Pentium 4 motherboard, please make sure the 12V 4-pin square prong is connected to the motherboard.
2. Remove the board from the case and make sure it's not short-circuited to the case.
3. Change CPU(preferably with a CPU with the same speed). Inspect and clean the CPU sockets and pins on the CPU.
4. Make sure the CPU is inserted fully and seated properly in the socket. Try to reseat your CPU if necessary.
5. Check with your motherboard manufacturer as well. As your BIOS may be corrupted.

So here's my question should I rma the cpu just to be safe side. Or is the problem exactly with the motherboard.

I recieve that FF error on the diagnostic tool, and - - on the motherboard which means it's not passing POST.

I believe the problem is a short cirtcuit but is it likely to have fried all of my parts..

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 12:21 PM
So here's my question should I rma the cpu just to be safe side. Or is the problem exactly with the motherboard.

I recieve that FF error on the diagnostic tool, and - - on the motherboard which means it's not passing POST.

I believe the problem is a short cirtcuit but is it likely to have fried all of my parts..

In Order -
1. Take it to a Service Technician, he/she will be able to tell you exactly what part is faulty. The you will know what part to replace, and can test correctly.

2. What"s this "Diagnostic Too" You Refer to - If a PC cant get past POST, then how is it running from the PC ?
3. YES a short Circuit Can sometimes blow all components if you are unlucky - all components are connected one way or another , either by plugging into slots or cables - all carry current / signals, it can take a split second and POOF! Usually though not every thing gets fried. Number 2 in your list is exactly what's happened with incorrect mounting of risers.

4> See Number 1

Norseguy
31-12-2007, 06:04 PM
SOYO TechAid diagnostic card is what I used. But as I said a few techs have looked over the parts already and said it all works but it seems it all doesn't work together. That diagnostic tool which I used fits into a pci slot.

Yep it did the same exact thing when I set everything up outside of the case. So I'm pretty sure some things were fried, I guess to be on the safe side I should rma everything.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Personally I suggest you get a Technician to look at all the parts combined and see if he/she can pinpoint the problem, then RMA only the faulty part(s)

The reason being - if you RMA every thing, it may cost you more $$ , some places if a product goes back as a RMA and is found not to be faulty you will be charged for the labour/freight - no point in paying for something if you don't need to.
Time to get all parts back, especially if they came from different places will more than likely vary - hence more time without a working solution.

Regarding the SOYO TechAid diagnostic card ( pci) - While I personally have never used one - what if the boards at fault, and is causing incorrect readings?

Norseguy
31-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah I had Geek Squad give me a diagnostic, but they tested each part seperately. I'm not sure of any other technician services that would test it all as a whole, Geek Squad says there's nothing else they can do unless I put an os on my hardrive......

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds like they are not doing everything - you can boot a PC without an OS installed, it goes through the POST, you see items being detected on the screen, then when it gets to the loading of the OS, it complains it cant find one (no Kidding):lol: Up until that point no OS is required.

You cant put a OS on any way - it wont boot to the stage of allowing one to be installed.

You can run the PC from a Live Linux CD, one that I use sometimes is Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) - the Linux OS runs from the CD.

I'd suggest calling some one else in your area, maybe looking through the phone book and telling them your problem, and ask if they can test the whole PC as a unit - the worst they can say is NO.

Just one thing that comes to mind / stab in the dark so to speak - looking back at the original post a comment made was
but I've connected a video card and seem to be getting no connection through my monitor the screen remains blank/black. Does the screen work on another PC ?

Norseguy
31-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I've tried on my own monitor and another one and still nothing appears on the screen and it remains blank.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Well at least its not the Monitor.

I'd still suggest trying someone else to do an actual hardware test, complete with all your components. I don't know if you have asked any people you know of a good company that they have dealt with before.

You're in the USA aren't you?

Norseguy
31-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes I'm in the USA.

Norseguy
01-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Why do you ask?

wainuitech
01-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I Asked because I know of many good technicians in new Zealand, And a couple In Australia, but If you are in the USA - then I don't know of any.

Unless someone else here can suggest anything else, try another PC repairer, other wise it could end up being expensive trying to find the actual problem.

Norseguy
02-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah I'm not really sure, I'm just going to ship the motherboard back when stores open up in America(after holiday season). If that doesn't work I'll continue shipping parts back until it does work. Thanks for the help.

nzjab06
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Make sure you havent done anything stupid such as plugging your monitor into the VGA socket on the motherboard instead of the graphics card